Evaluate our opponents' recent coaching hires

Which of our opponents helped themselves the most with their coaching hire

• Total voters

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
The only new hire with a proven HC background in a high level conference is st mark. bronco did well at BYU but will it translate? Can kirby run a program? narduzzzi, great coordinator (see kirby). fuente? big move up , .500 as HC in a mediocre conference. I think thug U made the right move but does st mark still have the desire. If a gu was put to my head, I'd say thug U but as we sit right now they all have question marks.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't kidding. And based on specific quotes West was brought in for one particular reason and it was pass pro out of the spread
Just wondering where did you see he was only brought for pass pro out of the spread? I thought he was being brought to help in pass blocking and maybe bring a new view for run blocking, but never thought it was for a different style offense? I also thought he might be able to help on the d side of the ball some.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
We run a spread.

I'm gonna say bronco. I think UVA is a good fit for him. Richt may be more proven at this level and certainly brings some excitement to that program, but Al Golden was a good coach imo and that program is becoming a place where coaching careers go to die.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Just wondering where did you see he was only brought for pass pro out of the spread? I thought he was being brought to help in pass blocking and maybe bring a new view for run blocking, but never thought it was for a different style offense? I also thought he might be able to help on the d side of the ball some.

Well, we technically run a Spread Option

Last edited:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I personally would vote for Bronco. I think he is a really good coach and I didn't expect UVA to get a coach of his caliber. I don't really expect Richt to do much of anything at Miami. He is an overrated coach, who was fired for a reason. Fuente and Narduzzi will be interesting to watch. I'm not sure what to think about either of them.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I personally would vote for Bronco. I think he is a really good coach and I didn't expect UVA to get a coach of his caliber. I don't really expect Richt to do much of anything at Miami. He is an overrated coach, who was fired for a reason. Fuente and Narduzzi will be interesting to watch. I'm not sure what to think about either of them.
Overrated? Man I wish we averaged 10 plus wins a season. I don't think he's overrated at all. I haven't seen anyone say he's one of the best coaches around, but he certainly is a very good coach.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Overrated? Man I wish we averaged 10 plus wins a season. I don't think he's overrated at all. I haven't seen anyone say he's one of the best coaches around, but he certainly is a very good coach.
I disagree. I don't think winning 9-10 games a year at UGA is all that difficult. Look at this years 10 win team as an example. They didn't beat anyone. They literally out talented everyone they played even without a semi competent QB. I always felt that Richt was skating by on superior talent. You could argue that he brought that talent in but I think UGA would get that level of talent no matter who the coach is. When it came to on the field results he did a good job of beating most of the teams he should beat and very few of the ones that were an even matchup or UGA was an underdog. He also had way too many games where UGA inexplicably lost.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Da U, unfortunately. We'll see about Richt's recruiting; it's a much tougher environment down there then when Schellenberger first took them to the heights. But their personnel is well suited for the pro style attack Richt has always favored and he knows how to get production out of his QBs. Their D will probably always be slightly above average too. I wish he had decided to go somewhere else, but the folks at da U knew what they were doing when they hired him, I'm afraid.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The only new hire with a proven HC background in a high level conference is st mark. bronco did well at BYU but will it translate? Can kirby run a program? narduzzzi, great coordinator (see kirby). fuente? big move up , .500 as HC in a mediocre conference. I think thug U made the right move but does st mark still have the desire. If a gu was put to my head, I'd say thug U but as we sit right now they all have question marks.
I agree. Richt can coach and recruit and his Georgia record proves it. Miami is now in play and the ACC can suddenly, literally overnight, become a power conference with the new coaching hires. I think the one school with championship potential, NC State, struck out on its coaching hire two years ago. But then AD Yow always strikes out.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Rich made some good assistant coach hires as well. Not sure about the assistants brought in at the other programs on the list, but obviously that is part of the equation.