European Soccer

Techster

Helluva Engineer
No one is talking about Pulisic looking like a world beater at Chelsea?! You guys a f'ing disappointment to America...

Milwaukee

Banned
He’s having a good year, they played like **** this weekend. I’m happy for him.

Best rivalry in all of sports, El Clasico, today at 12:45 cst for you die hards. I won’t miss a second.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I've thought this a number of times but haven't posted. It is hard for me to rationalize how much more traffic the ATL United thread gets than this one. It's like a high school football team getting more attention than NCAA or pro football. MLS is really hard for me to watch given there are so many better options, and relatively speaking no one outside of Atlanta knows or cares about ATL United's success.

slugboy

Staff member
ATL United is definitely minor league compared to Europe, and even a bit behind Mexico. The MLS salary cap giveth and taketh away

ETA: I played years of football and soccer growing up. I didn’t get into Premier league until watching ATL United. It’s a different game.

Atlanta is worth watching for the atmosphere and the fun of the game. I hope they can find a way to keep the fun in the game without 70k fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I've thought this a number of times but haven't posted. It is hard for me to rationalize how much more traffic the ATL United thread gets than this one. It's like a high school football team getting more attention than NCAA or pro football. MLS is really hard for me to watch given there are so many better options, and relatively speaking no one outside of Atlanta knows or cares about ATL United's success.

Personally, I spend my time in the mornings watching English/European football on the weekends. I don't spend much time in front of TV watching ATL UTD but I will go to their games and go watch with friends at a pub.

Milwaukee

Banned
What. A. Championship. Sunday. Holy smokes what a tense morning.

Chelsea and ManUnited qualify for Champions League and Leicester is knocked out.
Aston Villa stays up and Watford is relegated.

Milwaukee

Banned
This is a real bet. Dude had a wager that Jesse Lingard for ManU wouldn’t have a goal or assist the entire season...Lingard scores a goal in extra time (97th minute) of the last game of the season as the whistle blows 😂 Ouch

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have a question about $. I looked at the payroll of a middle of the pack ( $ wise) EPL team. Roughy $90MM. In comparison, the average payroll of the NBA and MLB is roughly $120MM and the NFL about $220MM. I am sure roster size drives some of this disparity. These are quick estimates I eyeballed after a very quick google search and not presented as hard data..

One of the things that is intriguing (and beautiful) about the sport is the non stop (commercial free) play. I have said elsewhere that this may be what will push the sports popularity here in the US. Aside from selling ad space on jerseys, how do Euro soccer teams make up for the "lost" revenue from being commercial free?