European Soccer

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
What a final...It had my whole family jumping and screaming. I feel for England. I wonder how much Monday morning coaching is going on about Southgate's last-minute subs and including Rashford and Sancho in his 5 penalties...

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder how much Monday morning coaching is going on about Southgate's last-minute subs and including Rashford and Sancho in his 5 penalties...
Getting absolutely crushed. Guy gets crushed 20 years ago for missing a PK now he gets the go out of getting crushed for sending out a lineup that missed 3 of 5 kicks. Maybe next time he won’t come out with such a defensive posture.

As for second guessing:

herb

Helluva Engineer
Question for those in the know, what would be a good save number for a goalie in that situation? 2? 3?

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
@Jophish17 wow, I just read some of the comments online. They are brutal! Personally I would have started Sancho over Sterling, but I just like Sancho more. I also would have sent Grealish out there, as to me he was their most impactful player towards the end.

Having said that, I know everybody was tired, and some players are just scared to take a penalty.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Question for those in the know, what would be a good save number for a goalie in that situation? 2? 3?

If a player can put the ball in the top corner or close to one of the sides with speed and power, its nearly impossible to stop. This is why you will see the goalie pick a side and dive, he is trying to get to the edge because he knows if he waits and tries to react, it will be too late. All the saves you saw were lower and not squarely hit. In the case of Rashford, he just mi**** the ball and then hit the post. That is entirely on Rashford.

Milwaukee knows what he is talking about.

Milwaukee

Banned
@Jophish17 wow, I just read some of the comments online. They are brutal! Personally I would have started Sancho over Sterling, but I just like Sancho more. I also would have sent Grealish out there, as to me he was their most impactful player towards the end.

Having said that, I know everybody was tired, and some players are just scared to take a penalty.
Southgate hand picked each kicker. Grealish snapped back at the media this morning saying he asked to take the 5th kick. Southgate picks the kickers so it’s funny how the guys who didn’t kick are getting roasted for not “stepping up”. They made a great run, nothing to hang their heads about. Italy is filthy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hell 1 is good. 2 is great. 3 is amazing. He saved 2 and got lucky with Rashford, Rashford just missed goal.

This. If you're a goalie, and you save 1 of the 5 first PKs, then you've done your job. You save 2, and your team should more times than not be the winner. England players got cute with PKs and paid for it.

Phenomenal soccer by both teams in the final. England were unlucky as they it seemed like they dominated for stretches, but the only thing that counts is the scoreboard. England probably played the best defense all tournament. Graelish should have had more minutes...one of the most creative England players in a generation, and a great passer.

Italy hung around and made England live their worst nightmare: Having PKs decide the winner. Anyone who follows England soccer knows they are cursed when it comes to PKs....LOL

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Southgate hand picked each kicker. Grealish snapped back at the media this morning saying he asked to take the 5th kick. Southgate picks the kickers so it’s funny how the guys who didn’t kick are getting roasted for not “stepping up”. They made a great run, nothing to hang their heads about. Italy is filthy.
This. All the “know it all” ex-players like Roy Keane keep talking about players not stepping up. It’s not like Southgate asked who wanted to take a kick.