ESPN: Too Negative at Georgia Tech?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Win-loss is all that matters when it comes to defining a team as mediocre. But Tech is no different than any other mediocre team. A big play here or there, a mistake, a penalty, dropped pass, or injury here or there. Every mediocre team has opportunities where the season could have been completely different had just a few of those things gone their way. The point is that mediocre teams just aren't able to overcome those setbacks. But when you focus in on one team, you lose perspective and think that your team is unique and that it has just had a few setbacks, that it was so close, whereas other mediocre teams are deeply rooted in the middle of the pack and are right where they deserve. Not true. It's about the same for everyone in the middle.

Right. That's what you've said. Saying it again with more words doesn't make it more or less true.

5paceman

Georgia Tech Fan
i feel where paul is coming from - i think most tech fans in my circle have issues talking football proudly because there's always a STUPID DAWG in the room to remind us that we cant beat them. If Paul finds a way to beat the dawgs i think he'll be pleasantly surprised with the fan support.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
i feel where paul is coming from - i think most tech fans in my circle have issues talking football proudly because there's always a STUPID DAWG in the room to remind us that we cant beat them. If Paul finds a way to beat the dawgs i think he'll be pleasantly surprised with the fan support.

Tell the stupid dwag in the room that you need more bread, a clean fork, or another beer and then go on talking about Tech football in peace.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The problem in either case is that we start with our conclusion and then build our facts around it. I happen to believe CPJ is one of the better coaches around. Therefore it is easier for me to site extenuating circumstances or, as some would have it, excuses. On the other side if someone has concluded that he is not a good coach then the fill find excuses or mitigating circumstances to explain whatever successes he has had. As a result these conversations never go anywhere and no one really has their mind changed.

NE, you haven't been on here for long, but been around, I know. ;) Anyway, I posted a comparison of the last 10 coaches GT has had in 70 years. And CPJ i definitely up there after Dodd and O'Leary. http://gtswarm.com/threads/70-years-of-gt-football-–-odds-of-getting-a-better-coach-than-cpj.2524/

We (and most teams) have and always will have extenuating circumstances. We just need to win more and people will be less negative.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As a coach, by what comes out of my mouth, I make darned sure my players feel responsible for creating their own breaks. I also want them develop an attitude that overcomes misfortune. As a spectator (inner dialogue only) of my teams from the sidelines for all these years, I realize that dumb, blind luck plays a fairly significant role in everybody's season every year, whether powerhouse or weakling. It just does. Any talk, in absolute terms, about the absence of luck ( i.e. there is only better talent and preparation) is mere folly.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Win-loss is all that matters when it comes to defining a team as mediocre. But Tech is no different than any other mediocre team. A big play here or there, a mistake, a penalty, dropped pass, or injury here or there. Every mediocre team has opportunities where the season could have been completely different had just a few of those things gone their way. The point is that mediocre teams just aren't able to overcome those setbacks. But when you focus in on one team, you lose perspective and think that your team is unique and that it has just had a few setbacks, that it was so close, whereas other mediocre teams are deeply rooted in the middle of the pack and are right where they deserve. Not true. It's about the same for everyone in the middle.
I disagree. All mediocre records are not alike. 7 - 6 can be 6 nailbiters or 6 blowouts. They look the same in the record book. Also, the level of competition varies greatly.

Old School

Jolly Good Fellow
Our main problem the last 15 or so years is that we've lost the last 2 games of the season.....the Georgia game, and the bowl game. Win the last two, and we've got something! It's hard to build off season momentum when you're losing the last two every year! We can do it, and I think Johnson is the right man for the job.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Our main problem the last 15 or so years is that we've lost the last 2 games of the season.....the Georgia game, and the bowl game. Win the last two, and we've got something! It's hard to build off season momentum when you're losing the last two every year! We can do it, and I think Johnson is the right man for the job.
Very good point.It leaves a bad taste in your mouth for the WHOLE off-season and it has also got to make some difference in final recruiting.