ESPN ACC preseason power rankings: Can anyone catch Clemson?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It was the most embarrassed I've been to be a Tech fan since MTSU. The O just quit the 4th qtr after getting stymied the entire 3rd. Playcalling and execution was atrocious and the D looked like a high school D.
Against duke our rushing yds have been
2010 = 323
2011 = 326
2012 = 311
2013 = 300
2014 = 342
2015 = 256
2016 = 254
2017 = 277
Well there us a clear drop of 50 yds in last 3 years. Duke has 2 young co defensive coordinators. This years game could make this relevant by low mid 200 rushing for gt in a loss. This game could make it irrelevant if gt has a high 300 yd game and a big win. Go Jackets.
Doing this For Clemson gt rushing
2010 = 139
2011 = 158
2012 = 191
2013 = 175
2014 = 146
2 pick 6 These were hard earned yards.
2015 = 223.
At half time score board west stands said them 24 pts and us 26 yds rushing. Painful.
2016 = 170
2017 = 185
What a delight if we get 200 yds this year against their front 4! Its going to be a great game.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I hope this guy is an idiot.
If we lose to folks on list that are above us and beat folks below us + lose to uga + beat the crummie teams we are 5-7! We lose to duke again. That is physically impossible, so this guy is an idiot. We cant be below 6 -6.

Lose, not loose. I normally don’t correct spelling/grammar online, but this one just grates at me.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay
Game was tied at half so we weren't playing "catchup" until the Offense comes out and goes 3-and-out its first 2 series and then turns it over on downs on the 3rd series. Meanwhile, our turtle D rolled over on its back and let Puke put up 17 during that time.

The offense lost the game vs Puke right along with the defense. You can't score ZERO points in a half against Puke and blame the defense.

You are right about the scoring, but I don't understand the logic of your second paragraph. We don't play our games against some Generic Opposition with equal offense and defense.

If you want to be reasonable, then you have to compare your team's performance to what other teams are doing against the same opponent.

In 2017, Duke averaged 16.4 points/ACC (not GT) game on offense and allowed on average 23.4 point/ACC (not GT) game on defense.

When GT offense scores nearly the opponent's game average in the first half but its defense allows more than the opponent's game average in the first half, then that is an indicator that the defense is doing more poorly than the offense compared to other ACC teams vs Duke.

GT's Offense:
1st Half: TD, TD, Int, TD (missed P.A.T)
2nd Half: Punt, Punt, Downs, Downs, Punt

Duke's Offense:
1st Half: FG, TD, FG, TD
2nd Half: TD, FG, TD, Punt, TD

We let a team that averaged 16 ppg vs. non-GT ACC score on every single possession but one.

The week before they played us, they played Army who also scored 3 TD's, 2 from scrimmage and a punt return TD, in the first half. They also held Army scoreless in the second half. The difference? Army allowed them 10 pts in the first half and 6 pts in the second half.

So, again, I'm not saying that our offense didn't play worse than we should expect, but I am saying that to think the blame is anywhere close to being equally on offense and defense is not realistic imo.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Okay

You are right about the scoring, but I don't understand the logic of your second paragraph. We don't play our games against some Generic Opposition with equal offense and defense.

If you want to be reasonable, then you have to compare your team's performance to what other teams are doing against the same opponent.

In 2017, Duke averaged 16.4 points/ACC (not GT) game on offense and allowed on average 23.4 point/ACC (not GT) game on defense.

When GT offense scores nearly the opponent's game average in the first half but its defense allows more than the opponent's game average in the first half, then that is an indicator that the defense is doing more poorly than the offense compared to other ACC teams vs Duke.

GT's Offense:

Duke's Offense:

We let a team that averaged 16 ppg vs. non-GT ACC score on every single possession but one.

The week before they played us, they played Army who also scored 3 TD's, 2 from scrimmage and a punt return TD, in the first half. They also held Army scoreless in the second half. The difference? Army allowed them 10 pts in the first half and 6 pts in the second half.

So, again, I'm not saying that our offense didn't play worse than we should expect, but I am saying that to think the blame is anywhere close to being equally on offense and defense is not realistic imo.

Sure, but he's not wrong. At halftime the game is tied. Can't win a tie game if you don't score any more points...even if the defense had stopped letting them score any more points at halftime.

Just like we don't play generic opposition with equal offense and defense, not all games are generic games where the stats play out like they should. In-game situations dictate you next move. Our next move was apparently to wet the bed on offense in the second half while the defense continued to struggle.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sure, but he's not wrong. At halftime the game is tied. Can't win a tie game if you don't score any more points...even if the defense had stopped letting them score any more points at halftime.

Just like we don't play generic opposition with equal offense and defense, not all games are generic games where the stats play out like they should. In-game situations dictate you next move. Our next move was apparently to wet the bed on offense in the second half while the defense continued to struggle.

Right, but a game is not just the second half. More to my original point, if D gets stops we can see what part of our base offense we can get going without the pressure to score quickly, ie pass.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Right, but a game is not just the second half. More to my original point, if D gets stops we can see what part of our base offense we can get going without the pressure to score quickly, ie pass.
The offense and defense really bounced back in the next game against uga. Offense scored 38 and defense locked them down to only 7???Wait that's backwards. just like my spelling.
We got bounced!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

But if the offense is getting first downs, the defense doesn't have to get so many stops--and it gets more rest. We weren't even getting first downs in the second half of the last 2 games of last year.

We had a beaten up OL at the end of the year, and not enough depth to let some hurt players rest and heal. But not enough OL depth is a chronic problem. It's a huge problem in an offense where changing blocking schemes during the game is critical to its success. Paul Johnson is a genius at blocking schemes, but when he doesn't have healthy players he is limited in what he can do. But not having players is on him, since he is the HC.

Okay

GT's Offense:

Duke's Offense:

C'mon man - it's ****ing Duke. Esp. since our offense is supposed to be our strength, you can't possibly sugarcoat a half where we are shut out by ****ing Duke. I see that game as a 50-50 loss, in terms of blame. The O did the D no favors and vice versa.

20 pts rarely wins ANY college football games in this era.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
C'mon man - it's ****ing Duke. Esp. since our offense is supposed to be our strength, you can't possibly sugarcoat a half where we are shut out by ****ing Duke. I see that game as a 50-50 loss, in terms of blame. The O did the D no favors and vice versa.

20 pts rarely wins ANY college football games in this era.

No worries. I concede that the emotional argument is on your side.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
But if the offense is getting first downs, the defense doesn't have to get so many stops--and it gets more rest. We weren't even getting first downs in the second half of the last 2 games of last year.

We had a beaten up OL at the end of the year, and not enough depth to let some hurt players rest and heal. But not enough OL depth is a chronic problem. It's a huge problem in an offense where changing blocking schemes during the game is critical to its success. Paul Johnson is a genius at blocking schemes, but when he doesn't have healthy players he is limited in what he can do. But not having players is on him, since he is the HC.

I used to draw up simple plays for pee wee teams, but i couldn't get them implemented.

Coach and ol coach is paid to get them implemented.

Will Bryan was injured? How bout Stick? Were they playing hurt but not listed by team?

Its really pretty simple - ol coach rewarded Sham for his efforts in his senior year. However lets be clear, he was made starter because the o l coach felt Will was not clearly better than Sham on overall team basis. Also without playing time Sham would have poor chance at nfl.
Sham did good pass blocking, drive blocking and down blocking, but when asked to pull he was slow. While Will could pull way better and do pass, drive, down blocking well, o l coach made that call. Wasn't injuries that kept bryan out.

In the Vt game just before duke Will played on 2 long scoring drives. When they started crowing line Sham did excellent pass blocking and qb w r made plays. Sham was really beat up.
If u want to get pumped forc18, watch every offensive play gt verses vt.
CLEARLY , Our best offensive game against a WELL COACHED TALENTED DEFENSE.

In spring Will was 298 lbs because he was to play R G. He practiced RG 3 days before spring game, but w all the injuries he played, rt and g. He's back down to 285 but way stronger, He will play where ever he is given a chance- just wants to hit someone.

If our 18 offense looks like the 17 vt game, se will have a great year.

No worries. I concede that the emotional argument is on your side.

The facts are too. Anyone who thinks 0 pts vs Duke in an entire half of football with numerous 3 & Outs is enough to win a football game is delusional.

20 total points doesn't win hardly any college football games anymore. 20 pts against a small team like Puke is embarrassing, as is giving up 40+.

slugboy

Staff member
The facts are too. Anyone who thinks 0 pts vs Duke in an entire half of football with numerous 3 & Outs is enough to win a football game is delusional.

20 total points doesn't win hardly any college football games anymore. 20 pts against a small team like Puke is embarrassing, as is giving up 40+.

Picking one game isn’t a good measuring stick for the season. Plenty of blame to go around in the losses. I’d say Duke looked bad for our defense, but I can’t consider it a good game for the offense, and the second half was a fiasco. We could have lost that game even if the offense had played well.
FWIW, Duke had a good defense
But, if you picked UVA, the offense was the worse unit against a terrible defense. The defense did play a good game and we still lost.
Against Miami, the defense tried to keep us in the game. Offense vanished in the second half.
Against UGA, just turn the game off.
In the wins, all three units contributed.
Overall, by the numbers, offense and defense were equally middling and special teams were awful, even with an outstanding punter.
Maybe something weird will happen and we’ll have a top 20 defense this year. It’s as big of an improvement as a top 20 offense would be

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Picking one game isn’t a good measuring stick for the season. Plenty of blame to go around in the losses. I’d say Duke looked bad for our defense, but I can’t consider it a good game for the offense, and the second half was a fiasco. We could have lost that game even if the offense had played well.
But, if you picked UVA, the offense was the worse unit against a terrible defense. The defense did play a good game and we still lost.
Against Miami, the defense tried to keep us in the game. Offense vanished in the second half.
Overall, by the numbers, offense and defense were equally middling and special teams were awful, even with an outstanding punter.
Maybe something weird will happen and we’ll have a top 20 defense this year. It’s as big of an improvement as a top 20 offense would be

I agree with all that. There's a contingent of GT (CPJ) fans who refuse to ever hold the O accountable for anything though. It gets old. UVA is a good example of it being largely to blame for the loss. Miami too. Without a fluky onsides kick return TD (What is it with Richt and kickoffs vs us lol), that game isn't as close as the score was.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I agree with all that. There's a contingent of GT (CPJ) fans who refuse to ever hold the O accountable for anything though. It gets old. UVA is a good example of it being largely to blame for the loss. Miami too. Without a fluky onsides kick return TD (What is it with Richt and kickoffs vs us lol), that game isn't as close as the score was.
The main reason some fans don't instantly trash the offense is there have been a few games where the offense is the only reason GT won in spite of the defense. I can't think of a game where the D was the only reason GT won in spite of the O.

2014 UGA? But that was a lot of ST too.

Edit: Gardner-Webb in 2008 is the only one I can think of and that game was a **** show for everyone involved.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Hey, I agree that our offense under-performed against both Duke and UVA, but let's be real.
Against uva, our Offense scored 28 of our 36 pts vs. UVA while UVA allowed 28 pts/non-GT ACC game.
Against uva, our Defense allowed 40 pts to a team that scored on average 17 pts/non-GT ACC game.

I appreciate that some of y'all want to pretend that this is mindless defense of CPJ, but I reckon that's only because you are framing it from your mindless attack on CPJ. I'm not satisfied with how our offense performed against either Duke or UVA, but GT's primary problem in these two games was defense based on the cold numbers, by a long shot.

Both Duke and UVA scored MORE THAN TWICE their average points versus an ACC opponent.