ESPN ACC preseason power rankings: Can anyone catch Clemson?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Army and Navy seem to do OK in the rain. They aren't heavier than we are.
They weren't playing Clemson, Miami, or UVa. Each one heavier than Tech. The reason weight is so important is that the heavier defense can clog the middle, forcing play to the perimeter where OL typically don't have the agility to execute a double heel plant to cut up field. This allows the secondary to play everything inside out to the side line.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No one would argue that 2017 offense was a great offense, but here are some FEI ranks for offense and defense by years by years to add data.

Year Off/Def rank
2017 23/63
2016 21/94
2015 87/87
2014 2/76
2013 38/51
2012 26/64
2011 16/61
2010 41/80
2009 2/51
2008 18/30
2007 34/69

The data shows this offense can work depending on the players available and how seasoned. The issue with the offense is not the scheme, although it does have some weaknesses like all offenses.
2017 had the loss of a starting BBack and a new first year QB with little time at the QB position. It is amazing that we had a 23rd rank offense given these two facts.

Duke has had better FEI ranked defenses for the last 4 years and last year was their best defense ranked at number 34. Roof was able to get to 51st rank in his first year but could not break the top 50. Roof had a defense on a whole that had trouble getting off the field and kept a depthless team tired by the end of the game. He did improve in 2017 and it felt like the defense improved too, but to only 63rd rank.

Special teams ranking at 125 was the death nail on what could have been a decent season as the offense and defense combination was better ranked than 2016. CPJ has been iffy on special teams, I lay defense at the ADs feet, but CPJ's offense is not the problem. 10 to 7 can be a winning score.

If you want to hammer CPJ, hammer him on special teams. Also defense is now on CPJ with this last hire.

Deleted member 2897

No one would argue that 2017 offense was a great offense, but here are some FEI ranks for offense and defense by years by years to add data.

Year Off/Def rank
2017 23/63
2016 21/94
2015 87/87
2014 2/76
2013 38/51
2012 26/64
2011 16/61
2010 41/80
2009 2/51
2008 18/30
2007 34/69

The data shows this offense can work depending on the players available and how seasoned. The issue with the offense is not the scheme, although it does have some weaknesses like all offenses.
2017 had the loss of a starting BBack and a new first year QB with little time at the QB position. It is amazing that we had a 23rd rank offense given these two facts.

Duke has had better FEI ranked defenses for the last 4 years and last year was their best defense ranked at number 34. Roof was able to get to 51st rank in his first year but could not break the top 50. Roof had a defense on a whole that had trouble getting off the field and kept a depthless team tired by the end of the game. He did improve in 2017 and it felt like the defense improved too, but to only 63rd rank.

Special teams ranking at 125 was the death nail on what could have been a decent season as the offense and defense combination was better ranked than 2016. CPJ has been iffy on special teams, I lay defense at the ADs feet, but CPJ's offense is not the problem. 10 to 7 can be a winning score.

If you want to hammer CPJ, hammer him on special teams. Also defense is now on CPJ with this last hire.

So the 1 year defense was as good as the offense was when we lost 137 running backs to injury.

Milwaukee

Banned

Year Off/Def rank
2017 23/63
2016 21/94
2015 87/87
2014 2/76
2013 38/51
2012 26/64
2011 16/61
2010 41/80
2009 2/51
2008 18/30
2007 34/69

Good God defense and recruiting under PJ have been painful. Those defensive numbers above are beyond frustrating.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

Year Off/Def rank
2017 23/63
2016 21/94
2015 87/87
2014 2/76
2013 38/51
2012 26/64
2011 16/61
2010 41/80
2009 2/51
2008 18/30
2007 34/69

I would say that 2014 D was on a slope, and were playing pretty good defense at the end of the year (very opportunistic). Its still interesting to me to see that team who struggled with Wofford, Tulane, and Georgia Southern would go on to one of the greatest seasons we've had.

Also interesting to see the last year of Tenuta on there. Looks like we were starting to slip during that year? I think he would've struggled with the spreads that were starting to come into vogue at that point.

I still think if we get a top 30 D with our offense, it could get very interesting for us.....

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Don't feel like making a new thread.

http://fanjuicer.com/2018/07/acc-preseason-power-rankings-chaos-below-clemson-and-miami

What you need to know about this research
When was this fielded?: July 19 – 20, 2018
Number of respondents: 765
Research technique: Online quantitative survey using the MaxDiff Market Research Technique
Who is in this research?: A small majority (54%) of the respondents in this research are ACC fans. The natural fallout was an equal mix of ACC and Non ACC fans, so I did not need to weight the data to reflect an equal mix of in conference and out of conference fanst like I did in the Big Ten and Big 12 Preseason Power Rankings. I also looked at the results when they were weighted to equalize participation from the ACC schools, but there were almost no differences between the weighted and unweighted results, so I ultimately decided to report the results completely unweighted.

ACCGraph.png

#7 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
  • “Probably finish around third in the Coastal. Definitely look for them to upset either Clemson, Miami, or Virginia Tech only to drop to a few games they have no business losing.” – Anonymous
  • “The Yellow Jackets are a team of seasons past. For those of us old enough to remember, they we’re once one a formidable force in the ACC, but for what has seemed like quite some time, that is no longer the case. They will more than likely finish around .500 while giving a few of the better teams in the conference a scare. Until what seems to be the status quo can be shook from this team, I don’t see any reason to change expectations from the past few seasons.” – /u/LordFerguson
  • “Georgia Tech is a wonky team with a wonky system. If they get lucky with injuries and their team clicks, then they can do quite well, but it’s a once every 4 or 5 years occurrence. If it’s one of those years, maybe 2nd in the Coastal, but otherwise more middle of the pack.” – “James”