End the silly flag issue

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
NFL inadvertently exposed itself. Their “supposedly covert” hatred of the military and veterans is out there for all to see now. They wonder why ratings are tanking. Everyone knows they’ve been lying thru their teeth.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/2018/01/22/amvets-says-nfl-censored-its-ad-against-flag-protests/

Except they approved similar ads this year, including one ad that says “we stand for veterans.”

https://www.snopes.com/2018/01/23/nfl-rejects-veterans-groups-ad-super-bowl-program/

The issue with this ad is that they didn’t meet the deadline. NFL goes back and forth about these issues with every ad.

Have you ever had any major responsibility in your life, or do you just sit and watch fox and friends all day?

I have spent a good bit of time volunteering with veterans groups and thank God there’s other people like me who don’t just use them as mascots. I also give pretty substantial discounts to veterans for legal services.

What do you do, sit around and have Internet outrage over fake news?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Except they approved similar ads this year, including one ad that says “we stand for veterans.”

https://www.snopes.com/2018/01/23/nfl-rejects-veterans-groups-ad-super-bowl-program/

The issue with this ad is that they didn’t meet the deadline. NFL goes back and forth about these issues with every ad.

Have you ever had any major responsibility in your life, or do you just sit and watch fox and friends all day?

I have spent a good bit of time volunteering with veterans groups and thank God there’s other people like me who don’t just use them as mascots. I also give pretty substantial discounts to veterans for legal services.

Triggered?

BTW....snopes is biased as hell and if you rely on them for fact checking...you will get skewed facts.

LibertyTurns

Banned

Elitists believe only the anointed ones having certain types of life experiences or being smart enough qualifies you to have an opinion but others do not. I’m hopeful the elites keep alienating the nation & we can restore law & order in our great nation.

Quite frankly people that disrespect my country piss me off, especially the passive aggressive types that feign patriotism. I can at least respect the honesty of those that come out of the closet & declare their disdain for our country. Those like the NFL that conceal their true political leanings, particularly when they’re not even supposed to be political organizations need to exposed for what they are.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's simple.
If you fragment society by identity politics, then nothing binds us together except the coercion of political power. Only one major political party is prepared to govern in that context.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Elitists believe only the anointed ones having certain types of life experiences or being smart enough qualifies you to have an opinion but others do not. I’m hopeful the elites keep alienating the nation & we can restore law & order in our great nation.

Quite frankly people that disrespect my country piss me off, especially the passive aggressive types that feign patriotism. I can at least respect the honesty of those that come out of the closet & declare their disdain for our country. Those like the NFL that conceal their true political leanings, particularly when they’re not even supposed to be political organizations need to exposed for what they are.

I’m sorry you are socially isolated enough to believe that roughly half the country hates the country and wants to intentionally ruin your life.

I don’t know who these “elites” are because what I see mostly is incompetence. You can’t have it both ways - you can’t complain that government is incompetent compared to the private sector and also believe it’s a diabolical Bond movie institution full of evil geniuses.

You need to get out more and read more. Watch less cable network news.

There is no “feigned patriotism” over a symbolic display. The truth is you don’t know what people believe and you refuse to take them at face value and impugn your own paranoia on their motives. You’re a bad countryman, but you can do better starting today.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Triggered?

BTW....snopes is biased as hell and if you rely on them for fact checking...you will get skewed facts.

You guys are the ones constantly outraged. How are those facts skewed? It’s not just snopes that reported the full story.

Your voluntary participation in the far right (and not conservative at least in any Burkean/Buckleyan context) outrage Kachin directly contributes to the decay of our republic.

Deleted member 2897

You guys are the ones constantly outraged. How are those facts skewed? It’s not just snopes that reported the full story.

Your voluntary participation in the far right (and not conservative at least in any Burkean/Buckleyan context) outrage Kachin directly contributes to the decay of our republic.

Thumbs up for the William F Buckley reference. I miss that F guy.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

With regard to snopes, they are typically quite biased and I no longer rely on them being anything else. So I wasn’t referring to them on that single issue as I didn’t read it, again because I do not find them worthy practioners of truth.

I don’t ascribe to Burkean politics or Keynesian economics or any other philosophy and hold on to them as discipleships. Some of their philosophies I find have merits, others do not. I think your fascination with Burkean philosophy is just another facet of identity politics. But that’s your choice.

I happen to like a lot of what Burke believed. But I really don’t give a flying F if you think my philosophies don’t fall in line with your ideas of conservatism or not.

Btw? What is the Kachin outrage you refer to?

Also, Id love to hear you espouse upon your Burkean philosophy (with their Christian morality roots) on these issues today. Not that we don’t need to get closer to God in our society, Id just be highly entertained in the religion debate that would fallout as a result.

But ya, I still think you are triggered. Which is why you call those you disagree with “bad countrymen”. Yeah you are certainly standing on the moral high ground.:cigar:

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’m sorry you are socially isolated enough to believe that roughly half the country hates the country and wants to intentionally ruin your life.

I don’t know who these “elites” are because what I see mostly is incompetence. You can’t have it both ways - you can’t complain that government is incompetent compared to the private sector and also believe it’s a diabolical Bond movie institution full of evil geniuses.

You need to get out more and read more. Watch less cable network news.

There is no “feigned patriotism” over a symbolic display. The truth is you don’t know what people believe and you refuse to take them at face value and impugn your own paranoia on their motives. You’re a bad countryman, but you can do better starting today.
OK, I’ll play along here.

The elites aren’t geniuses. It’s a class of people that believe they are intellectually superior to the rest of us but in my opinion they are frequently “book smart” but the their theories do not tend to work well in reality. According to them we should not have our own opinions, we should just repeat whatever they tell us. They believe in the nanny state, globalism, and a government controlled by themselves because they are the only ones smart enough to know what’s best for us dumb bastards. To me they are anti-constitutionalists.

I watch zero cable news. We used to stream every major news channel when I was in the military & got my fill for a lifetime. My news is mostly purchased, predominantly economic and trade-related. Virtually none is mainstream or “off the internet”. When I do cite sources on here I do so because I search for a link that’s available to all. FYI, my information on the NFL deal was not news at all, but part of a business meeting with DAV leadership. I enjoy reading posts on here & this is one of my few past times outside of work that’s just a entertainment type deal.

To ease your mind, I get out plenty and there’s certainly no lack of social interaction. I know what my people are thinking because I engage them regularly in the course of my work. From that I understood how the Maniac got elected & maybe the left should consider that the election actually happened & people were not happy with the type of government they had been getting.

I’ll end with actions speak louder than words. It would have been extremely easy for the NFL to accommodate the vets in question. They made it not happen. You say it’s coincidence. I say it’s related to their lack of control over their workforce, ie the kneeling deal. You says the kneeling deal means one thing, I believe it’s another. To me if a rich NFL’er wanted to do some good, he’d go into one of the neighborhoods he grew up in & make a difference like a real man. People would respect that as I do those in my company that are out there every day mentoring our youth.

God Bless America!

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok guys like the rest of you I like a good debate. I love Tech Football and sports in general. Given that I’ll explain my perspective on the anthem, perhaps this perspective is bias considering I’ve been a cop for 31 years.

First of all I put no other country above this one, I feel pride when the anthem plays ( corny these days I suppose ). I feel that this country is special and I feel those who protest against are in a unique position in that they can complain openly about it without real harm.

My entire family has served this country in some capacity since we’ve been here. WWI, Korean, WWII, Vietnam. Members of my family have served as Mayors, Counsel Members and even Tax collectors ( insert joke ).

From my perspective given all this, I respect and will give my life to ensure that you can peacefully protest even if I don’t have the same right.

This NFL protest thing and the resulting prohibition has solicited cries of racisim, Trump degriding, name calling and most of all the demand to exercise “their” constitutional rights. I’m white, I’ve spent 2/3 rds of my career in an area which has ranged from 70 to 88% minority. I’ve never shot anyone. I’ve been in three real fights, I have zero citizen complaints in my folder ( I think that’s astonishing given the work ) , I’ve got a collection of Christmas Cards, letters and thank you notes from black, white and other members of my community and I’m proud of my actions as a cop.

Given this, my biggest complaint about this entire issue is that I am forbidden from speaking out while in my capacity as a cop. I face decipline ranging from a letter in my file ( would be my first), to Suspension to termination - depending on how my words are received. I work under a standing order that I cannot talk to the press and I must obtain permission to put anything on my suit, uniform or car that portrays an opinion.

I understand all this given the job, what I don’t understand is the perception that these players are having their rights stepped on. You never hear the cops side in these shootings, until the department approves it - if at all. Cops are ordered to shut up despite what’s being said about them, all over the press. They cannot, at least in the South ( right to work States) form anything resembling a real union, no collective barganing, no strikes, no demand to restructure our contracts - because most are hourly. We work where we are assigned, if we complain about desk duty there are some pointed words but no TV crew wondering where we are. Most of us work at least one part time job, a lot work two.

Yet players feel they are mistreated ? In the area that I work there are 5000 calls for police service a day, we average 32 murders a year yet there have only been 7 police shootings in the last 5 years, two cops have been shot to death in the same time period - by those we serve ! But I have to remain silent.

Everyone has the right to protest and redress and degrade our country , regardless of what my personal opinion or thoughts are. I will tell you this though. During this protest they protest against the people who serve them daily and who are forbidden to respond when they yell the lies, even as they yell these lies as we - the very people they protest, are literally standing behind them protecting their backs.

For fair discourse to be pivotal all sides of the debate have to be heard, on this issue one side never gets to talk and that’s because WE ARE AT WORK !

So forgive me if I have little patience for the ‘ you are violating my free speech ‘ group. I haven’t had free speech rights in 31 years, because of my job.

Last edited: