End the silly flag issue

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Too late. Precedent of players on the field has been established for a very long time. Deviation from precedent will invoke a reaction just as current protests do.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Does the sports media really have to report on the players who kneel? I guess they have to in Dallas because players will be benched if they "disrespect the flag."

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Does the sports media really have to report on the players who kneel? I guess they have to in Dallas because players will be benched if they "disrespect the flag."

Well the sports media has been a large driver of this story from day one so......it's reasonable to assume they will continue to cover it so long as it remains a story.

If it’s not disrespectful, explain why the brave souls returning from war giving the ultimate sacrifice are wrapped in an American flag.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Just stop playing the national anthem altogether at sporting events. It has nothing to do with anything and is a silly gesture. I don't go to a football game to be reminded about Notions of patriotism or whatever, I go to watch chop blocks.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Some random thoughts on the issue…………. Make of it what you will, it is a free country after all.

1st Amendment, US Constitution: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.”

Oath upon entering the armed forces of the US (enlisted): “… I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;…”

The Oath taken by the President before he takes “his Office” says in part: “…and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Note that all of the above is about the Constitution. None of it is about the flag or the Anthem.

P/S - Congress passed legislation creating the National Anthem in 1931.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Some random thoughts on the issue…………. Make of it what you will, it is a free country after all.

1st Amendment, US Constitution: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.”

Oath upon entering the armed forces of the US (enlisted): “… I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;…”

The Oath taken by the President before he takes “his Office” says in part: “…and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.”

Note that all of the above is about the Constitution. None of it is about the flag or the Anthem.

1) The thread title refers to the "flag issue" (emphasis added)
2) You began by saying your post was "thoughts on this issue" (emphasis added).
3) Your last statement (before the postscript) is, "None of it is about the flag" (emphasis added).

Clearly, you need to think through your posts more fully and make your points more clearly. No one on either side of the dispute deny our right to freedom of speech. So, as it stands, your post seems pointless.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
No one on either side of the dispute deny our right to freedom of speech
Obviously we do not get our news from the same sources. What I hear is loud cries to desist exercising the freedoms of speech and press.
What you or I do as individuals is one thing; but when the government seeks to deny those rights, that is an entirely different matter.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Obviously we do not get our news from the same sources. What I hear is loud cries to desist exercising the freedoms of speech and press.
What you or I do as individuals is one thing; but when the government seeks to deny those rights, that is an entirely different matter.

Yeah, it may be that you shouldn't get your news from a source that confuses denying a right with disagreeing with the use of a right.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I think I know what you’re talking about. I read a lot of stories about the “freedom of speechers” rioting a couple of months back. The poor conservatives were trying to have some event at a publicly funded auditorium in Berkeley and another bunch of radical fascists had a planned demonstration in a public park in Charlottesville. The “freedom of speechers” arrived in droves to protect the conservatives and fascists civil rights to have their events. We need more reaching across the aisle like that.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it may be that you shouldn't get your news from a source that confuses denying a right with disagreeing with the use of a right.
Actually my sources on this issue, like many issues, is the government itself., their owns actions and words.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Actually my sources on this issue, like many issues, is the government itself., their owns actions and words.

I tend to side with AE on this one. Seems the "government" is mainly voicing disapproval over the acts not necessarily mobilizing overt action to suspend the rights to engage in the acts. Basically wagging the finger violently but staying across that proverbial line.

Now, IMHO, their words are pretty egregious but I don't think they've threatened any actual actions other than motivating other entities to take action against protesters (which could be what you're referring to?).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps a distinction without a difference... I have not followed who "exactly" has said what in what context. But when you say "government" is voicing disapproval (or approval...depending on side you're on)... isn't it more accurate to say "politicians" are the ones jabbering on about it. I do not see how the government has any leverage here with respect to new or existing laws or legislation to force folks to act a certain way during the anthem. The politicians are having a field day, though...galvanizing those who "feel" passionate about the numerous issues that have been thrown into this cauldron.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Let’s see: It’s OK to give the US the finger during the national anthem, but it’s not OK to disrespect Uzbeks by wearing garb you’re not culturally sensitized to at Halloween. Is there any rationale to the liberal rule book on offensive behavior or are we just hell bent on trying to make everyone apologize for forming & sustaining the greatest nation there ever has been?

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/37916/

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I am not sure what this post is supposed to mean. The 1st Amendment starts with "Congress shall make no law...". What law has Congress passed or attempted to pass regarding this issue? The Constitution does not state that employers can't restrict what their employees say as a condition of their employment. A bastion of 1st Amendment rights, the New York Times, in the past week published rules for their editors and reporters about what they can and can't say in public. The Constitution does not state that consumers must continue consuming a product if they disagree with public statements made by the producing company or their employees. The Constitution does not state that people in public can't disagree with statements or actions of others. To do that would infringe on the free speech rights of the people who disagree.

I can't find any way that: Public figures publicly speaking against the protestors, People boycotting the NFL because of the protests, or the NFL requiring players to stand during the anthem: violates the 1st Amendment.