End the silly flag issue

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure what this post is supposed to mean. The 1st Amendment starts with "Congress shall make no law...". What law has Congress passed or attempted to pass regarding this issue? The Constitution does not state that employers can't restrict what their employees say as a condition of their employment. A bastion of 1st Amendment rights, the New York Times, in the past week published rules for their editors and reporters about what they can and can't say in public. The Constitution does not state that consumers must continue consuming a product if they disagree with public statements made by the producing company or their employees. The Constitution does not state that people in public can't disagree with statements or actions of others. To do that would infringe on the free speech rights of the people who disagree.

I can't find any way that: Public figures publicly speaking against the protestors, People boycotting the NFL because of the protests, or the NFL requiring players to stand during the anthem: violates the 1st Amendment.

Well, you're not getting a "Like" from @OldJacketFan

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I believe playing the national anthem before sporting events dates back to WWI. It's certainly a long held national tradition. The NFL, its Commissioner, their owners, are all...in my own humble opinion, condoning members of their organization disrespecting the symbols of my country that I hold dear.

So eff the NFL. They won't get another dime from me or garner my attention on tv or in the media. I'm done with them. They can collectively piss off.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
A major win for the 1st Amendment guarantee of "free exercise" of religion". Dozens of lawsuits were filed against the previous administration with a lot
of we religious people, acting individually, opening our checkbooks to fund the lawsuits. I believe we have won all cases that have been concluded on the merits.
Many cases remain in litigation and today several dozen were settled. (Becketlaw.org handled many of the cases and their site will give an outline of some cases.)

We will shift, if necessary, to the freedom of speech and press, and proceed to fund those cases if the current administration follows through on it's threats.
(We sued Obama and will not hesitate to sue Trump.)

Please recall the words of Benjamin Franklin when asked what type of government the Constitutional Convention had given us:
"A Republic, if you can keep it."

The Constitution of the United States is the heart and soul of our Republic. The Constitution matters more than the temporary resident of the White House, the temporary Speaker of the House
or the temporary Senate Majority Leader. So we try to keep the Constitution intact.

Groups settle in lawsuit against HHS contraceptive mandate

http://www.catholicnews.com/service...lawsuit-against-hhs-contraceptive-mandate.cfm

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
A major win for the 1st Amendment guarantee of "free exercise" of religion". Dozens of lawsuits were filed against the previous administration with a lot
of we religious people, acting individually, opening our checkbooks to fund the lawsuits. I believe we have won all cases that have been concluded on the merits.
Many cases remain in litigation and today several dozen were settled. (Becketlaw.org handled many of the cases and their site will give an outline of some cases.)

We will shift, if necessary, to the freedom of speech and press, and proceed to fund those cases if the current administration follows through on it's threats.
(We sued Obama and will not hesitate to sue Trump.)

Please recall the words of Benjamin Franklin when asked what type of government the Constitutional Convention had given us:
"A Republic, if you can keep it."

The Constitution of the United States is the heart and soul of our Republic. The Constitution matters more than the temporary resident of the White House, the temporary Speaker of the House
or the temporary Senate Majority Leader. So we try to keep the Constitution intact.

Groups settle in lawsuit against HHS contraceptive mandate

http://www.catholicnews.com/service...lawsuit-against-hhs-contraceptive-mandate.cfm

I still don't understand what your point is. No matter how you feel about this lawsuit, the claim is that the GOVERNMENT by a LAW PASSED BY CONGRESS is violating their 1st Amendment rights. How does that have any similarity with private citizens and corporations addressing entertainers or employees?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I can't find any way that: Public figures publicly speaking against the protesters, People boycotting the NFL because of the protests, or the NFL requiring players to stand during the anthem: violates the 1st Amendment.

You can't find it because IT DOESN'T!

The "violates the 1st Amendment" use that as a red herring maneuver. Let the players "protest" outside of the job.

Regarding the NFL Players, college cheerleaders, etc. I have no problem with them protesting, again do it on your time not. Do it before you come into or after you leave the stadium.

Kind of like the # (hashtag) b.s. that makes people feel good about "doing something". Ex. Hurricane relief. instead of hash tagging "texasstrong", etc. How about actually doing something like contributing $'s or time, etc. that can help.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Regarding the NFL Players, college cheerleaders, etc. I have no problem with them protesting, again do it on your time not. Do it before you come into or after you leave the stadium.
Yeah, I agree. The problem seems to be that the players' employers do nothing, in effect condoning the activity. The agreement the league and the players association just released
was really a waste of paper. But the paying customers have their say and can exercise their right to spend their money as they choose. I dropped the NFL a long time ago. Still watch or listen
to a few of the Falcons games just to be conversant with family who are Falcon fans. Or, maybe that should be "were" Falcon fans. I hear no more talk about tickets.

On the media. I trust most are aware that President Trump is one of the most visible and audible presidents ever. The amount of time he is live on TV/radio is remarkable.
Emphasis on the "live on TV/radio". And once anyone says something "live" ....................!

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
You can't find it because IT DOESN'T!

The "violates the 1st Amendment" use that as a red herring maneuver. Let the players "protest" outside of the job.

Kind of like the # (hashtag) b.s. that makes people feel good about "doing something". Ex. Hurricane relief. instead of hash tagging "texasstrong", etc. How about actually doing something like contributing $'s or time, etc. that can help.

I don't have a problem with the protests. I don't care if they kneel for the national athem. I don't care if they're suspended for it. I don't care if they're not. As the thread title says, it's a silly issue that means nothing.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Let’s see: It’s OK to give the US the finger during the national anthem, but it’s not OK to disrespect Uzbeks by wearing garb you’re not culturally sensitized to at Halloween. Is there any rationale to the liberal rule book on offensive behavior or are we just hell bent on trying to make everyone apologize for forming & sustaining the greatest nation there ever has been?

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/37916/

It's okay to do either. Just expect to get called a dickhead either way.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Giving in to this nonsense and discontinuing the anthem at the beginning of sporting events is an example of what got us here in the first place IMHO. Eventually people have to put their foot in the dirt and say enough. You cant pacify all these activists and agenda driven snowflakes by continually giving in to them.

Who knew that the society illustrated in the movie Demolition Man was a prophecy?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I sometimes wonder if people thinking that Trump is undermining the 1st Amendment do so only because they trust the Fake News outlets. It's like they have no minds of their own.

His tweets and words are all that I need to decide.

Could you list the news outlets that are trustworthy please?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Giving in to this nonsense and discontinuing the anthem at the beginning of sporting events is an example of what got us here in the first place IMHO. Eventually people have to put their foot in the dirt and say enough. You cant pacify all these activists and agenda driven snowflakes by continually giving in to them.

Who knew that the society illustrated in the movie Demolition Man was a prophecy?
Idiocracy is unfortunately coming to fruition too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
His tweets and words are all that I need to decide.

Could you list the news outlets that are trustworthy please?

Which tweets and words undermine the 1st Amendment?

All news outlets convey some bias and are trustworthy to the extent that that bias is recognized. CNN and MSNBC, especially, have for the last year crossed the line into publishing many false stories or reported as fact what is only opinion. So, I had them in mind as Fake News outlets.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Idiocracy is unfortunately coming to fruition too.
nvpuU.gif

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Something being missed is that to many this isn't about wanting to stifle someone's right to free speech but being offended by what we view as disrespect for the flag and country. I don't consider it "silly" at all. I have no issue with players wanting to join arms, kneel or whatever before/after anthem but not during. There is a time and place for everything including free speech.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The spineless bastards don’t have the guts to come out and tell us all whats really behind this is a visceral hate of our country. I’ve pretty much given up on watching the NFL. Maybe there’s enough foreigners watching to keep the NFL afloat but if I were the owners I’d get a grip on this asap because you’re going to lose your *** in advertising revenue when the final numbers are tallied. Fans like me are not coming back until you make a visible stand against the America haters.

https://sports.yahoo.com/marshawn-lynch-sits-national-anthem-stands-mexican-anthem-222624734.html

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The spineless bastards don’t have the guts to come out and tell us all whats really behind this is a visceral hate of our country. I’ve pretty much given up on watching the NFL. Maybe there’s enough foreigners watching to keep the NFL afloat but if I were the owners I’d get a grip on this asap because you’re going to lose your *** in advertising revenue when the final numbers are tallied. Fans like me are not coming back until you make a visible stand against the America haters.

https://sports.yahoo.com/marshawn-lynch-sits-national-anthem-stands-mexican-anthem-222624734.html
They are watching in Mexico...
I'm not watching...

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Too late to "take a stand." I'm out. Good luck reeling me back in. I haven't missed it much, just doing more with kids instead. I wish our former players well but the NFL can piss off.