East Tennessee State

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree completely in that situation you just let the game play out and at worse you are going to overtime. I think we could randomly select any high school basketball coach in the state of Georgia and they would be an upgrade over Gregory.
Actually you are wrong. You could randomly go into any church or community rec league and randomly get a better coach

Whatllyahave

Georgia Tech Fan
There was never a doubt. Different team, different players, same result. What's that? 14 straight losses in last minute games. At some point you might begin to question our coaching. 0-14 is more than bad luck.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
There was never a doubt. Different team, different players, same result. What's that? 14 straight losses in last minute games. At some point you might begin to question our coaching. 0-14 is more than bad luck.
Not to nit pick but the game against UT was a last minute win where the 3 was missed. This game was pretty identical except the shot was made. This game looked like last year. I question Gregory's play calls after a timeout. Any time last year we ran a set play it always ended in disaster

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Missed the game, but just went back and watched the replay.

If we're being completely honest, I expected much worse based on what I read on here and on Twitter. Certainly not going to say we played well, but we missed a LOT of open shots (especially Adam, maybe we need to be concerned he could win us a lot of games, but lose us a lot as well if he's not on his game) and they made a LOT of tough shots, including the game winner. Still think our offense looked better than it did 90% of games last year. Defense is still leaving something to be desired

Extremely disappointed in the decision to foul with 10 seconds still on the clock and the ETSU man making no attempt to drive.

Had a lot of turnovers in the first half, but seemed like we got that under control in the second half.

Still out rebounded them significantly and had more assists than they did.

Really hope we can learn from this game, put it behind us, and not let it build into something bigger than it is with two huge games coming up this week. A 2-0 trip to Brooklyn would certainly take the sting away.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Don't do this to me GT basketball!

Last year the high of our football team got me through the miserable basketball losses...there's none of that this year. I can't do a miserable football/basketball double double. I'm going to need the basketball team to be half decent.

I may be screwed...

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Don't do this to me GT basketball!

Last year the high of our football team got me through the miserable basketball losses...there's none of that this year. I can't do a miserable football/basketball double double. I'm going to need the basketball team to be half decent.

I may be screwed...

I'm waiting for someone to tell all of you that a lot of P5 conference schools are dropping early games and we just hit a bump in the road. That somehow after 14 or so years as a Coach,BG has figured it out. We have a better roster this year that is undeniable, but we still have, at best, the 2nd worst coach in the conference.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The stats say PG does not know how to coach "endgames".Since he has a lot of them ,he is destined to fail overall. Hammer,nail and coffin are in play here.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm waiting for someone to tell all of you that a lot of P5 conference schools are dropping early games and we just hit a bump in the road. That somehow after 14 or so years as a Coach,BG has figured it out. We have a better roster this year that is undeniable, but we still have, at best, the 2nd worst coach in the conference.

Peacone ever the realist amongst us.

Thanks for pooping in my coffee this moring, bro!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MY only comments are this.
You have to find a way to win this game at home, period.
The foul is not what I would have done but have seen other coaches use that philosophy- backfired today though.

I've assumed that Gregory would have 2 more years due to buyouts, but looking at the arena the last 2 games i'd venture less than 2,000 in the building - the AD's hands could get forced. Of course unless he can do a better job ringing up some money all that means is we trade one inexpensive coach for another one and probably rinse, repeat. As much as this hurts my head says we still have to simply suck it up until we can get out from under the contracts.

I hope this doesn't turn into a trend, but it won't surprise me. I'll stay in my current root for the team but don't expect too much and try not to let them get to close to hurt me.

natureboy

Georgia Tech Fan
Again, this is just confirmation that GT needs to hire a new coach. In no way, shape, or form that we should lose this game. I don't care where we get the money from (Arthur Blank,Atlanta Hawks, concerned boosters) we need a change if we don't go to the NCAA. Coach Gregory has had all summer to find out that we don't have a point guard. I'm not going to waste my time on talking about the "bums" we have playing the point. I mean hey, try playing Tadric or Adam there, but no more excuses please people. I'm tired and I know you're tired, so at the end of the season let's just hire Archie Miller and "restore " the program to national prominence.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Again, this is just confirmation that GT needs to hire a new coach. In no way, shape, or form that we should lose this game. I don't care where we get the money from (Arthur Blank,Atlanta Hawks, concerned boosters) we need a change if we don't go to the NCAA. Coach Gregory has had all summer to find out that we don't have a point guard. I'm not going to waste my time on talking about the "bums" we have playing the point. I mean hey, try playing Tadric or Adam there, but no more excuses please people. I'm tired and I know you're tired, so at the end of the season let's just hire Archie Miller and "restore " the program to national prominence.

Hell, that's simple enough. Someone call bobble head and tell him we figured it out.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
This is spot on. We start 4 Sr.s and Jr. I can't think of another program in the conference starting that much experience and having such low expectations. This team should be in the NCAA this year. Frankly I kinda pity Gregory in that he is in so far over his head. He was hired to be a place holder, come in fix the academic issues and turn the program so a good coach can take it over. For the most part he did that. Inexplicably our AD somehow expected him to do something else. This is a very big year for our program. We are in the new arena for the third year and we are about to graduate another complete class of future season ticket holders that don't give a damn about BB (which is unfathomable to someone like me who graduated in 1990). I expect more from our BB program.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Hope I'm wrong, but after watching the last game, it felt like watching a ship get pulled by a whirlpool into the toilet...

Sure hope we beat UGA at Saturday at BDS@HGF to get rid of some of the GT sports blahs.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Well I just finished watching Green Bay and ETSU. I knew the outcomes but had to watch.

On Green Bay... that was a bad team. Call it fatigue or whatever, that was the worst performance from a scrub team I've seen all year. Nothing to learn there other than GT took care of business and impressed me again on offense. Concerned about lack of defense from our guards, but that's no big deal yet, right?

ETSU... that's called s****ing the bed. Lack of urgency from the team and coaches. This is not a game where you hope the players figure it out. This is a game where a good coach gets in their grill and gets them going... midway thru the first half. Absolutely no reason for ETSU to be in the game.

Other thoughts on the debacle:
  • Guard play is horrendous defensively. Why is Jorg even in the game guarding their PG with 5 seconds remaining? It's not his strength. That's on the coach.
  • How is it even possible that on a last-second defensive play, up 2, we allow a STEP-IN three off a switch with our big guy inside the arc? This was off of a timeout... are you kidding me? Coaching. We're talking about basic fundamental game-situation preparedness.
  • If you're going to foul up 3, you don't do it with 8 seconds left and the opposing PG standing at half court. Debate the merits of the foul/no foul all you want, that was terrible timing and execution. Completely unprepared for the situation.
  • Did I mention our guard play is terrible defensively?
Look, at the end of the first half I thought ETSU was tricky athletic. Looked at their roster and saw transfers from Indiana (2), Missouri (1), Wichita State (1), and Cincinnati (1). That ain't bad. But they were the prototypical "we got athletes and we're going to wing it like we're on the playground". And it worked.

I've not seen us get beat down court after a made GT basket so many times in a single game. That kind of stuff gets cut off by good high school teams. One time ETSU's PG went the length of the court 1 on 3 and got a mostly uncontested lay-up. You know what was most disappointing? No sub was coming in for any of the beaten GT players and not a single one of those guys heard a thing from the coach. Accountability can't wait until after the game.

Rant over. Thanks for listening. I still think we can be a solid NIT team. Syracuse looks worse, so I need something to cling to.