East Tennessee State

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Same ole results with CBG and to think that our AD extended his contract by 1 year a couple of years ago. He should have shown him the door the last couple of years. This season is going to be no different than what we have seen the past few unfortunately. The program is not going to improve until there is a coaching change.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Definitely agree it has to be a quality change or the program will never get out of this rut.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
There's gotta be some mid-major in B1G country looking to hire an experienced, attainable guy from a P5 school, no?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I've said it before, you put BG at an A10 (maybe) MWC, MAC conference school he would be well loved.

You could put him in any conference and he'll be well loved by the majority of the fans. I'm sure tons of fans of ACC teams love seeing him at GT.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Well I just finished watching Green Bay and ETSU. I knew the outcomes but had to watch.

On Green Bay... that was a bad team. Call it fatigue or whatever, that was the worst performance from a scrub team I've seen all year. Nothing to learn there other than GT took care of business and impressed me again on offense. Concerned about lack of defense from our guards, but that's no big deal yet, right?

ETSU... that's called s****ing the bed. Lack of urgency from the team and coaches. This is not a game where you hope the players figure it out. This is a game where a good coach gets in their grill and gets them going... midway thru the first half. Absolutely no reason for ETSU to be in the game.

Other thoughts on the debacle:
  • Guard play is horrendous defensively. Why is Jorg even in the game guarding their PG with 5 seconds remaining? It's not his strength. That's on the coach.
  • How is it even possible that on a last-second defensive play, up 2, we allow a STEP-IN three off a switch with our big guy inside the arc? This was off of a timeout... are you kidding me? Coaching. We're talking about basic fundamental game-situation preparedness.
  • If you're going to foul up 3, you don't do it with 8 seconds left and the opposing PG standing at half court. Debate the merits of the foul/no foul all you want, that was terrible timing and execution. Completely unprepared for the situation.
  • Did I mention our guard play is terrible defensively?
Look, at the end of the first half I thought ETSU was tricky athletic. Looked at their roster and saw transfers from Indiana (2), Missouri (1), Wichita State (1), and Cincinnati (1). That ain't bad. But they were the prototypical "we got athletes and we're going to wing it like we're on the playground". And it worked.

I've not seen us get beat down court after a made GT basket so many times in a single game. That kind of stuff gets cut off by good high school teams. One time ETSU's PG went the length of the court 1 on 3 and got a mostly uncontested lay-up. You know what was most disappointing? No sub was coming in for any of the beaten GT players and not a single one of those guys heard a thing from the coach. Accountability can't wait until after the game.

Rant over. Thanks for listening. I still think we can be a solid NIT team. Syracuse looks worse, so I need something to cling to.
I was traveling this weekend and did not see the game until last night. I agree with everything you said, especially the timing of the foul. When it happened I said, "NOT YET!!!." Fouling him was the right right play, but not with 8 seconds left.

As far as our guards' defense, I don't think we really have many alternatives. Heath may be our best defensive guard, but that's a low bar. Smith and Jorgy don't seem to have a clue. And, finally, why is Tadric not playing more?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Agreed with the foul on ETSU's next to last possession... just wish he'd of let another 2 - 3 seconds go before doing so. ETSU was smart enough to foul us before we even got the inbound pass off to burn any clock. Then of course we missed the front end FT...

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Now there's a ringing indictment of our basketball program. Oh, how the once-mighty have fallen. Thanks, GTAA! (Apologies to the existing guys who suit up and do their best for us!)
I'm pretty sure you post on other GT msg boards, so you've probably seen someone reel off the program's long term record, especially in ACC play. I'd like to know your definition of once-mighty.

If we're once-mighty, the starting point for our fall is the 1990 Final Four. I'd say the very good program with high potential has fallen.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm pretty sure you post on other GT msg boards, so you've probably seen someone reel off the program's long term record, especially in ACC play. I'd like to know your definition of once-mighty.

If we're once-mighty, the starting point for our fall is the 1990 Final Four. I'd say the very good program with high potential has fallen.
Ummm yes, the once mighty refers back to Cremins golden years -really more like the late 80's I suppose, and (I will admit) it was a brief period of time. It was still very good probably until the Hewitt National Championship run....and has bene in the dumpster since then.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ummm yes, the once mighty refers back to Cremins golden years -really more like the late 80's I suppose, and (I will admit) it was a brief period of time. It was still very good probably until the Hewitt National Championship run....and has bene in the dumpster since then.
Totally agree. on that. We've had some periodic highs since, but the Cremins golden years of Price & LW3 would definitely constitute mighty.

There was a day when Tech basketball ran neck in neck with Duke, UNC, anyone in the country. All be it brief, there was a time. When we were running off that string of ACC rookie's of the year with stud basketball players. Price, Bruce, Ferelle spelling?, Hammonds, Scott, Oliver, Kenny, Best, Matty, Moore. John Barry thought enough about the program to send two of his sons to Tech. NBA players were coming through the doors. We are a long ways off from those days again.