East Stands were embarrasing

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I purchased season tickets because I believe(d?) in Todd’s vision for Tech football. I still believe in his global vision but I’m not going to subject myself to 90 degree heat with my 3 year old daughter and wife while a babysitter is watching my baby at home. It’s a big effort for no reward. I am extremely emotionally attached to my sports teams. For my personality it’s better to take a step back. I love Georgia Tech. I love Tech football and basketball. My mood generally waxes and wanes with football — although not at all after USF.

I saw lots of three year kids at the stadium today. Looked like they were having fun to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I am far from being wealthy, but the standard deduction doesn't help me. Nor do I imagine that it helps most Tech season ticket holders.....mutts maybe, since they have so many who spend all they have on tickets, but not Tech people.
You haven't filed taxes with the new standard deduction yet. If you are itemizing 24k that's a lot especially with the combined 10k limit on property / local income tax.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Having been in successive weeks to Ole Miss (awesome), Tennessee (great), and Tech (challenged), we need a better game day experience.

First, bring the tailgating inside BDS. The South or North stands should be converted to 4-6 person open air suites. Grill, talk smack, watch on your own tv ... but make it group fun.

Second, get rid of the East Stand BS. Bring back flash cards and create an in game experience. No one remembers the games, but they all remember being in flash cards.

Three. Get out there. Avalon is crawling with Tech grads. Wear some swag and get the players out there. Outreach can do a lot.

Fourth ... bulldoze Peters Park and turn it into The Grove East. I guarantee attendance will go up.

V

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. But I suspect I’m no more or less a loser than all the other nerds on this message board discussing/whining about his alma mater’s crappy team. I’ve lived in/around Atlanta my entire life as has my wife. Two young kids so weekends are a competition for our time. Attending GT football games in person went to the back of the line. It doesn’t make me care any less about Tech football than you but being there in person is not a priority. I’ve watched all the games since then opener in my air conditioned house On a great screen. It takes considerable effort, planning, and money for me to come to a game right now with two munchkins. All things I am happy to do but not for a garaunteed loss. Not with a stubborn head coach. Not worth it at all. I recognize my unpopular position here and I’m 100% okay with it. Easy for you to talk down at me through your computer monitor—you’d never talk to me like that in person. I get it.

And also - tech needs any fans it can get. Don’t ***** about the lack of attendance then get on your high horse about how tech doesn’t need fans like me. Tech is not in a position to be picky. I’d argue tech needs way more fans identical to me.

You act like you are the only GT fan who ever had “munchkins”. I have NEVER heard somebody on here constantly whining about THEIR kids. Personally, I think it’s best if you stay at home and sip on your LaCroix while flipping the channels on your big screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
I am far from being wealthy, but the standard deduction doesn't help me. Nor do I imagine that it helps most Tech season ticket holders.....mutts maybe, since they have so many who spend all they have on tickets, but not Tech people.
Disagree, the increased standard deductions eliminate a lot of former deductions. (It wiped out our mortgage interest deduction) The deduction was used to rationalize the expense for many people, whether correct or not. o_O
Ticket costs still can be partially deducted as entertainment expense for businesses IIRC.

Animal02

Banned
Having been in successive weeks to Ole Miss (awesome), Tennessee (great), and Tech (challenged), we need a better game day experience.

First, bring the tailgating inside BDS. The South or North stands should be converted to 4-6 person open air suites. Grill, talk smack, watch on your own tv ... but make it group fun.

Second, get rid of the East Stand BS. Bring back flash cards and create an in game experience. No one remembers the games, but they all remember being in flash cards.

Three. Get out there. Avalon is crawling with Tech grads. Wear some swag and get the players out there. Outreach can do a lot.

Fourth ... bulldoze Peters Park and turn it into The Grove East. I guarantee attendance will go up.

V
Deed restriction on Peters Park. That is why there are tennis courts on top. ;)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
That explains the student population, but not why we no longer attract non-student, non-alum fans like we used to. Way too many inconsistent strings of seasons, some very bad seasons, since Dodd's retirement have turned those people away. And this problem predates Johnson by many years. Ross had started to pull them back in, and O'Leary did as well, but Chan didn't, and obviously Johnson has not.
I give one my opinion and that doesn't make it right just my opinion

First you need to make a ticket hard to get. At 55,000 we are not able to sale out unless the opposing team brings I 20,000 fan. I know this sounds dumb but it's coming from me , go back to 44,000 . I'm not talking about spending money to do construction to change things , but make the seating a little wider add another 6" to each sit so you have room and can be comfortable.

We have to start winning ( very easy to say hard to do )

Not sure how to do this but they scan the tickets but maybe after each year if you have season tickets and attend all the games the next year you get a 5% discount on your season tickets.

Not sure how you could do this But I have been to Clemson, FSU, Auburn and was able to park for free. Yes I know we have limited space , but add the price of the tickets and then add $30 and it can hurt.

This last one will piss some off. No matter what you do the School ( President and anyone else that makes decisions) has got to want to win and really care about the sports teams . This is where we fail in my opinion. I get the opinion ( only my opinion) that the president has the attitude Ok you can have your team but don't ask for help if you want something you raise the money. This we never change unless the majority of the alumni want it to change. ( which I don't see ) . anyone can come up with ways but if you are fighting the school there is no hope. There you do want us fans don't want and say we can't compete like this we need to drop down to another division. And here is where I ask for help for those that were Tech fans in the 70's It was talked about then what did we do ?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Just curious, but have any of you thought about the change in demographics in the student body makeup and how it impacts the fan base as a whole? Especially over time. I know most Tech grads have always had to leave Atlanta and Georgia for jobs post-grad for a number of years, but how has the increase in student admissions from foreign countries and places outside the college football loving-South and the State of Georgia over the last 30-40 years affected our student body and alumni body demographic makeup? Regardless of record, I’ve seen a steady drop in fans over the last 30+ years and more and more people on campus who could care less about sports in general. This has included years from the 1990 natty team, the Little Joe years and O-Leary, and on to CPJ to now. Some ups and some downs.

I’m just not sure many of you oldheads really have a grip on what the school is like in 2018 and who actually makes up the student body nowadays. We’re not breeding many future athletic supporters.
*************Smack on the dot!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO right!!!!

Animal02

Banned
It can be returned to a park which is what the restriction is, yes?
Yes, it has to remain a "park" .
Wasn't sure what you were referencing to "Grove East".
Clyde Robbins really had to pretzel twist logic to say that a parking lot with tennis courts was still a "park" He was an *** wrt to being in charge of campus planning, that incident just confirmed it to everyone.

Animal02

Banned
Just curious, but have any of you thought about the change in demographics in the student body makeup and how it impacts the fan base as a whole? Especially over time. I know most Tech grads have always had to leave Atlanta and Georgia for jobs post-grad for a number of years, but how has the increase in student admissions from foreign countries and places outside the college football loving-South and the State of Georgia over the last 30-40 years affected our student body and alumni body demographic makeup? Regardless of record, I’ve seen a steady drop in fans over the last 30+ years and more and more people on campus who could care less about sports in general. This has included years from the 1990 natty team, the Little Joe years and O-Leary, and on to CPJ to now. Some ups and some downs.

I’m just not sure many of you oldheads really have a grip on what the school is like in 2018 and who actually makes up the student body nowadays. We’re not breeding many future athletic supporters.
Not to mention the increase in the percentage of women on campus.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yes, it has to remain a "park" .
Wasn't sure what you were referencing to "Grove East".
Clyde Robbins really had to pretzel twist logic to say that a parking lot with tennis courts was still a "park" He was an *** wrt to being in charge of campus planning, that incident just confirmed it to everyone.

Yes, the Grove is a park at Ole Miss. it’s an amazing pregame experience.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Oh, and change the seating! Why can’t STH’s have Braves style seating? I am squished into my seats and the stadium is 1/3 empty!

TStan has these great renderings of where they are unpgrading Edge ... but what about the fans who sit on these crappy benches?

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
New problem. I was introduced to an app yesterday and $30/mo you can attend dozens of events in Atalanta. Including all the Tech home games. All of them. I paid $1600 for mine. That’s a problem.

I agree completely. We are at risk of devaluing our product (both basketball and football) and it's something the GTAA cannot afford to let happen.

chrisbarnett06

Georgia Tech Fan
Im tired of US being the worst fan base in college football and then want to have a coaches head or give a player hell for bot giving a 100 % when we can even fill a 54k stadium half full!!! Im tired of the entitlement of GT fans who say well i pay my money to sit in the heat and watch them lose! Guess what! They work there A$@%$ off week in and week out for you to only pay HALF of what most colleges pay for a game, not to mention we pay coach and staff nickels to perform like dollars! I could go on and on and yes i am frustrated just as much as the next guy but damn. There is 130 FBS schools you always wanna do great but only a couple will win 11 or 12. Why dont we stand behind our team 100% of the time and show the players we got there back for once!!! We may win a few games if we would put our money where our mouth is and our *** where a seat is!!

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
I purchased season tickets because I believe(d?) in Todd’s vision for Tech football. I still believe in his global vision but I’m not going to subject myself to 90 degree heat with my 3 year old daughter and wife while a babysitter is watching my baby at home. It’s a big effort for no reward. I am extremely emotionally attached to my sports teams. For my personality it’s better to take a step back. I love Georgia Tech. I love Tech football and basketball. My mood generally waxes and wanes with football — although not at all after USF.
Bring the baby and sit in the west stands where there is shade for all games except nooners. I admit there is no immediate gratification from attending most games this season but think about long term payoff. You are instilling a love of all things GT by taking your kids to games and that is what GT needs in the long run. I have 2 young kids (6 & 3) and while I don't get to focus on the game as much with them present I take them to games and we watch away games together because I know that 5 years from now we can share the passion of GT and GT athletics. To me it's worth it.