East Stands were embarrasing

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
That explains the student population, but not why we no longer attract non-student, non-alum fans like we used to. Way too many inconsistent strings of seasons, some very bad seasons, since Dodd's retirement have turned those people away. And this problem predates Johnson by many years. Ross had started to pull them back in, and O'Leary did as well, but Chan didn't, and obviously Johnson has not.

You’re right, but think about this... 80’s grads have kids who are in their 30’s now. Some in their late 30’s... depending on the graduating class. And the 1980’s ain’t ancient history either. The common denominator in this problem seems to be the school itself. What I’m getting at is that these changes in demography have been going on for a while and the generational effects on the sustainability of the fan base have been seen longer than some of you more “seasoned” guys give credit for. Couple that with the aggressively changing nature of college athletics and all we are is a footnote in the history of the sport (esp. if we don’t change the school some, can’t have it both ways). We can’t be MIT Sunday thru Friday and then roll out our helmets on Saturday expecting to beat the #2 team in the land. Ain’t happening.

Dirty Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm sorry but you kind of sound like a loser if I'm being honest. We don't need fans like you. If your life is altered by our results then you have some stuff you need to get worked out.

Maybe. But I suspect I’m no more or less a loser than all the other nerds on this message board discussing/whining about his alma mater’s crappy team. I’ve lived in/around Atlanta my entire life as has my wife. Two young kids so weekends are a competition for our time. Attending GT football games in person went to the back of the line. It doesn’t make me care any less about Tech football than you but being there in person is not a priority. I’ve watched all the games since then opener in my air conditioned house On a great screen. It takes considerable effort, planning, and money for me to come to a game right now with two munchkins. All things I am happy to do but not for a garaunteed loss. Not with a stubborn head coach. Not worth it at all. I recognize my unpopular position here and I’m 100% okay with it. Easy for you to talk down at me through your computer monitor—you’d never talk to me like that in person. I get it.

And also - tech needs any fans it can get. Don’t ***** about the lack of attendance then get on your high horse about how tech doesn’t need fans like me. Tech is not in a position to be picky. I’d argue tech needs way more fans identical to me.

You’re right, but think about this... 80’s grads have kids who are in their 30’s now. Some in their late 30’s... depending on the graduating class. And the 1980’s ain’t ancient history either. The common denominator in this problem seems to be the school itself. What I’m getting at is that these changes in demography have been going on for a while and the generational effects on the sustainability of the fan base have been seen longer than some of you more “seasoned” guys give credit for. Couple that with the aggressively changing nature of college athletics and all we are is a footnote in the history of the sport (esp. if we don’t change the school some, can’t have it both ways). We can’t be MIT Sunday thru Friday and then roll out our helmets on Saturday expecting to beat the #2 team in the land. Ain’t happening.
Well, unfortunately, nobody can "change the school some" except the BOR, who first must be asked to by the Hill. The Hill has done so to some extent in the past, and each time it has been vetoed by the BOR. Can the Hill do more? I have no idea.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
The worst part of our stadium from a tv viewer POV is that the camera is mounted on the west side and shows the east side. Problem 1: the visiting team is on the screen for every play which means more visibility for them. Problem 2: the east stands have the club section. Gee, let me think. Do I sit out in the hot humid September afternoon or go into the club. Which means those seats are empty.
Is there any way we can put the cameras on the east side and have OUR team shown constantly on home games with full stands behind them?

Maybe. But I suspect I’m no more or less a loser than all the other nerds on this message board discussing/whining about his alma mater’s crappy team. I’ve lived in/around Atlanta my entire life as has my wife. Two young kids so weekends are a competition for our time. Attending GT football games in person went to the back of the line. It doesn’t make me care any less about Tech football than you but being there in person is not a priority. I’ve watched all the games since then opener in my air conditioned house On a great screen. It takes considerable effort, planning, and money for me to come to a game right now with two munchkins. All things I am happy to do but not for a garaunteed loss. Not with a stubborn head coach. Not worth it at all. I recognize my unpopular position here and I’m 100% okay with it. Easy for you to talk down at me through your computer monitor—you’d never talk to me like that in person. I get it.

And also - tech needs any fans it can get. Don’t ***** about the lack of attendance then get on your high horse about how tech doesn’t need fans like me. Tech is not in a position to be picky. I’d argue tech needs way more fans identical to me.
No one should judge how you choose to spend your free time. It is yours no one else's. Those that can't see that are they themselves losers and f then.

BootsCostMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
Well, unfortunately, nobody can "change the school some" except the BOR, who first must be asked to by the Hill. The Hill has done so to some extent in the past, and each time it has been vetoed by the BOR. Can the Hill do more? I have no idea.

If that’s the case, then I think I know how this whole thing plays out. It doesn’t look good for fans like us who ain’t directly connected to the school.

Thank you for your time and input in this discussion. Hopefully the season can play out in our favor down the stretch. Go Jackets!

If that’s the case, then I think I know how this whole thing plays out. It doesn’t look good for fans like us who ain’t directly connected to the school.

Thank you for your time and input in this discussion. Hopefully the season can play out in our favor down the stretch. Go Jackets!
I think we can survive and move forward with national recruiting, something which we have been severely limited in doing to date because of lack of sufficient funding and recruiting staff. TStan is supposedly, hopefully addressing both of those limitations, but it well may be too late to help Johnson.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
The answer to how to attract the non-alumni fans lies in answering how to make Tech “relatable” to the average Georgian. That’s the rub. The days of the high school valedictorian automatically going to Tech are over. I know we’re a weak state academically, but you’re not gonna have many Georgia Tech fans if we don’t have many kids from georgia.
The percentage of students from GA was 60% in 2016 (closest figure I could find) - it was a bit more 15 years ago when I started but only about 67%. Factor in the increase in student enrollment and the absolute number of kids from GA has probably been consistent over the last two decades. The growth is really from out of state and international.

In-state applications are rising too, so I'd say the GT brand is still strong in GA.

We can’t be MIT Sunday thru Friday and then roll out our helmets on Saturday expecting to beat the #2 team in the land. Ain’t happening.
True story: MIT football is undefeated this year :)

Milwaukee

Banned

Yea I shouldn't have worded that the way I did. My biggest issue isn't with you not choosing to go to the games for whatever reason, the bigger issue is having the outcomes of these games dictate your life. That's not good and doesn't make one passionate. But if I'm being honest I don't want fair weather fans that are going to boycott the program when they don't get their way. Hell yes we can be picky, we don't have many fans as it is so what's one less fair weather one? Either way, my apologies, I shouldn't have used the term loser. Bad choice of words on my part.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It may surprise a lot of people, but back in the 60s and earlier, Grant Field was filled by non-alum fans from throughout the state. When I was growing up in the 50s, I knew one Tech student and no Tech grads, but I knew 10 - 20 people in Augusta alone who had season tickets for games. THOSE are the fans we no longer get; the problem with graduates is not really much different now than it was back then.
Yep, all before Pro Sports teams made it to Atlanta. GT was the place to bee on game day.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Well I remember years like 2014 us actually selling out games . I don't know how the school changes this. But when we win we fill the stadium, when we are bad people make alternate plans or just study

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
We didn't sell out the stadium in 2014. Attendance against Clemson that season was pathetic.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If you don't want to stopper the program then don't buy season tickets but I consider attending a show of support for the student athletes. Buying season tickets and not attending is backwards imho.

New problem. I was introduced to an app yesterday and $30/mo you can attend dozens of events in Atalanta. Including all the Tech home games. All of them. I paid $1600 for mine. That’s a problem.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Every school in the country faces the problem of ticket fees no longer being deductible on taxes. Does anyone know how other schools are approaching this, if at all? And what can Tech do to attract and draw in the non-alum fans who once helped fill the stadium?
With the new standard deduction I think the number of people itemizing will be minimal so the loss of the athletic ticket deduction won't have a big impact.

With the new standard deduction I think the number of people itemizing will be minimal so the loss of the athletic ticket deduction won't have a big impact.
I am far from being wealthy, but the standard deduction doesn't help me. Nor do I imagine that it helps most Tech season ticket holders.....mutts maybe, since they have so many who spend all they have on tickets, but not Tech people.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Tech has been trending downward for a while now, its been a slow bleed, and apparent to several people, while talking to them at games or around the program. I just don't think the leadership or the board has the foresight to see what needs to be done. Now, after a decade, that slow bleed has taken its toil, dramatically, and its apparent to the fan base.

Tech fans don't want to hear but this is what needs to be done.

1) adopt or create a liberal arts program | all I hear from Techies is how this will devalue the degree, really?, surely we can see how a Stanford degree is seen, or a degree from Notre Dame...to me this is just an excuse. Tech has a great reputation, but is blind to the great reputation that it could have by branching out. Not having this avenue for students to pursue their dreams and forcing them into Technology majors, is killing us.

2) change the head coach | The head coach is so much more that just an X and O guy. He has to be a brand ambassador in modern football. Dabo is great at this, he is like able and comes across as empathetic, the students athletes see it, and they WANT to play for him. Coach Johnson is surely, antagonistic and stubborn, the exact opposite of empathetic. And people wonder why recruiting is down and attendance is down... Keep blaming the special teams if you want, or the defensive coordinator, but your not addressing the problem when you do this.

Tech has been trending downward for a while now, its been a slow bleed, and apparent to several people, while talking to them at games or around the program. I just don't think the leadership or the board has the foresight to see what needs to be done. Now, after a decade, that slow bleed has taken its toil, dramatically, and its apparent to the fan base.

1) adopt or create a liberal arts program | all I hear from Techies is how this will devalue the degree, really?, surely we can see how a Stanford degree is seen, or a degree from Notre Dame...to me this is just an excuse. Tech has a great reputation, but is blind to the great reputation that it could have by branching out. Not having this avenue for students to pursue their dreams and forcing them into Technology majors, is killing us.

2) change the head coach | The head coach is so much more that just an X and O guy. He has to be a brand ambassador in modern football. Dabo is great at this, he is like able and comes across as empathetic, the students athletes see it, and they WANT to play for him. Coach Johnson is surely, antagonistic and stubborn, the exact opposite of empathetic. And people wonder why recruiting is down and attendance is down... Keep blaming the special teams if you want, or the defensive coordinator, but your not addressing the problem when you do this.
How many times does someone have to post on here that changing the curriculum at Tech (i.e., adopting or creating a liberal arts program) is 100% out of the hands of anyone at or connected with Tech. Such moves are 100% decided by the Georgia BOR, and it ain't gonna happen.

How many times does someone have to post on here that changing the curriculum at Tech (i.e., adopting or creating a liberal arts program) is 100% out of the hands of anyone at or connected with Tech. Such moves are 100% decided by the Georgia BOR, and it ain't gonna happen.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Not sure about this. Most of Techs players are from Georgia and Georgia has weak math programs in general.

I checked Alabama for fun. Only 35% of Bama come from Alabama. Texas recruiting is big.

Looks to me like we need a complete overhaul of recruiting.