Early UVA point spread

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I know there are travel issues etc. but, outside of Clemson, does anyone in the ACC really have a home field advantage bc of crowd? If FSU continues, they may get back to drawing good crowds at the Doak. But no place afaik is what we would call intimidating (maybe BDS at night might get a few votes.)
Supposedly NC State at night is tough but idk we rarely play them. VT could fit in that group as well.

slugboy

Staff member
I know there are travel issues etc. but, outside of Clemson, does anyone in the ACC really have a home field advantage bc of crowd? If FSU continues, they may get back to drawing good crowds at the Doak. But no place afaik is what we would call intimidating (maybe BDS at night might get a few votes.)
My FSU relatives say the atmosphere is back at Doak

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I said before BC it was hard for me to see that game as anything but a loss.

UVA, unfortunately, looks the same way.

If we win, it will be close, last second, but I’m expecting a loss.

Not trying to be a downer but UVA is a very competitive team playing their best ball right now and still hungry. They are capable of beating most of the teams in the country right now. This is the hardest game of the season for us so far.
I completely agree. I will be shocked if this doesn't turn out to be a loss like BC was.....(i.e., not really close at the end)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I actually think home field affects the officials, not the teams. Home teams seen to (usually) get the benefit of close calls. When two evenly matched teams play, those close calls can easily swing the game one way or the other.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I said before BC it was hard for me to see that game as anything but a loss.

UVA, unfortunately, looks the same way.

If we win, it will be close, last second, but I’m expecting a loss.

Not trying to be a downer but UVA is a very competitive team playing their best ball right now and still hungry. They are capable of beating most of the teams in the country right now. This is the hardest game of the season for us so far.
It's a tough one. The smart money's probably on Virginia, but the smart money's not always right. A win in Charlottesville gets the Jackets over the hump, IMO.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think this game is a real toss-up. If we can get Smith untracked we have an excellent chance to win. Their D is the problem; they're pretty good. Their O is ok, but nothing to write home about. Their formula this year has been to trust the D to keep the score reasonable and hope the O can pull it out late. If we can run the ball effectively, then we can upset that apple cart.

Still … we are fairly evenly matched and it is up there. Seeing them slightly favored is no surprise. But we can beat them. To be frank, I expect to flip the game drama on them and win late. Oth, I hope we murder them; I don't like UVA even one little bit.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I would think there are a few tough places to play due to their LACK of
environment…
They’re cozy, quiet little places to settle in for the afternoon and then…
IMG_7477.gif

And we’re heading to Charlottesville.. all…
IMG_7476.gif

Need to bring our own intensity this week!
IMG_7356.gif

I’ve never been, but I’ve heard the carrier dome can get pretty dang loud….FWIW

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually think home field affects the officials, not the teams. Home teams seen to (usually) get the benefit of close calls. When two evenly matched teams play, those close calls can easily swing the game one way or the other.
A lot of it is routine, too. Players sleep in their own beds, get their own locker room, their typical game day morning and meetings.

Away teams have to travel, get whatever space is available to them, and often never get comfortable. Sometimes this can be a good thing and keep a team on their toes, but often time it's just a bunch of distractions until kickoff.

colton

Georgia Tech Fan
A lot of it is routine, too. Players sleep in their own beds, get their own locker room, their typical game day morning and meetings.

Away teams have to travel, get whatever space is available to them, and often never get comfortable. Sometimes this can be a good thing and keep a team on their toes, but often time it's just a bunch of distractions until kickoff.
I guess our guys are used to being uncomfortable, but it makes sense when they are studying for multivariable calculus while other schools' athletes are taking rigorous classes like "Intro to the Color Wheel" and "Numbers Up To Five".

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I guess our guys are used to being uncomfortable, but it makes sense when they are studying for multivariable calculus while other schools' athletes are taking rigorous classes like "Intro to the Color Wheel" and "Numbers Up To Five".
Very few are studying multivariable calculus. Most students at Tech don't have to take multivariable calculus. Only Natural Science and Engineering students have to take Calc III.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Doak was full, or at least almost full last year at the GT game. I don't remember it being intimidating, but GT never was in that game so that probably played a part.

It is a nice place to watch a college game. They have a lot of pageantry, and the crowd really responds and participates in their chants and such. I want BDS to get back to where the crowd is loud and the great majority participates in the RR, Go Jackets, and the Budweiser song.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Very few are studying multivariable calculus. Most students at Tech don't have to take multivariable calculus. Only Natural Science and Engineering students have to take Calc III.
Biggest problem is limited courses offerings to make a very good but not NFL player want to stay for 5th years (injuries in a 4 year period is common).
Construction Managment is a good option. But some players like sports , real estate, etc.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

You DO realize our team stays in a hotel together the night before a home game, right?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Biggest problem is limited courses offerings to make a very good but not NFL player want to stay for 5th years (injuries in a 4 year period is common).
Construction Managment is a good option. But some players like sports , real estate, etc.
I, for the life of me, can't figure out why we don't have a Business Administration major focused on Sports Management. Also, could have one in Real Estate, too. Those should be relatively low-hanging fruit for the academic side to grow organically while providing a real need/interest for a faction of our student body.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I, for the life of me, can't figure out why we don't have a Business Administration major focused on Sports Management. Also, could have one in Real Estate, too. Those should be relatively low-hanging fruit for the academic side to grow organically while providing a real need/interest for a faction of our student body.
Uga grads run for state legislature.
BOR reports to State
We, Ga Tech, are designated as a RESEARCH ONLY INSTITUTE as if the entire 20,000 undergrads even know we do resesrch.

THE ADDER BY BOR IS "GT CANNOT OFFER ANT DEGREE THAT UGA OFFERS "
Look at thier course offerings and our Mandated courses.

Prez has to find a Way to stop the fear of some gt students learning some practical course offerings TO ADD TO THE STANDARD TOUGH DEGREE OFFERING

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Uga grads run for state legislature.
BOR reports to State
We, Ga Tech, are designated as a RESEARCH ONLY INSTITUTE as if the entire 20,000 undergrads even know we do resesrch.

THE ADDER BY BOR IS "GT CANNOT OFFER ANT DEGREE THAT UGA OFFERS "
Look at thier course offerings and our Mandated courses.

Prez has to find a Way to stop the fear of some gt students learning some practical course offerings TO ADD TO THE STANDARD TOUGH DEGREE OFFERING
Nah, this isn't a BOR issue. Other majors are, but adding Sports Management to our BA majors isn't outside our purview.