Early rankings for the ACC Coastal.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC is horrible this year. There are only 2 top 25 teams this week that lost to unranked opponents and they are both in the ACC Costal.

NOTE: Ole miss, UCLA, and Iowa St are still playing as I write this and UCLA is trailing Fresno St by 6 so this may not hold up. The overall point still stands regardless.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am using the same rank order here as above, but this is not my ranking:

1) UNC - They have shown the ability to score, but the D has to be a concern right now. Howell looks like the POY at this point.
2) Pittsburgh - Losing to W. Michigan in the 3rd week is terrible. Maybe Tennessee is not very good.
3) Virginia - When you give up almost 60 points, there are problems.
4) Va. Tech - It's been a long time since the UNC game
5) Georgia Tech - Which team are we? We could be the the team that lost to NIU or the one that almost beat Clemson.
6) Duke - This is the Duke team we loved to see on our schedule before Cutcliffe came to Durham.
7) Miami - King and Rambo cannot be the entire team. As good as they are, the U as a whole are a mess.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Pitt that just got rolled by directional U is #2?

That is why they are at #2. Given that they previously beat an SEC team while playing on the road, they were heretofore an unstoppable juggernaut. Can you imagine that....a lowly ACC team beating one from THE SEC?? ;)

If you aren't in the top 10 or so teams, the rest of us seem to live in the kind of world where you can lose to a directional team at home and take a top 10 team to the wire on the road.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
⬆️⬆️⬆️

Our chances of being competitive in the Coastal this year are much better than I thought two weeks ago this time. And it's not all better play by my Jackets.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I am using the same rank order here as above, but this is not my ranking:

1) UNC - They have shown the ability to score, but the D has to be a concern right now. Howell looks like the POY at this point.
2) Pittsburgh - Losing to W. Michigan in the 3rd week is terrible. Maybe Tennessee is not very good.
3) Virginia - When you give up almost 60 points, there are problems.
4) Va. Tech - It's been a long time since the UNC game
5) Georgia Tech - Which team are we? We could be the the team that lost to NIU or the one that almost beat Clemson.
6) Duke - This is the Duke team we loved to see on our schedule before Cutcliffe came to Durham.
7) Miami - King and Rambo cannot be the entire team. As good as they are, the U as a whole are a mess.
The team that lost to NIU beat the hell out of them everywhere except the scoreboard.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The thing about Pitt is that they have a really good QB and will score on anybody they play. I thought their defense was a notch above but certainly giving up that many points to W. Michigan indicate they have some issues. I don't like their Coach but I have to give him props for making good in-game decisions and finding a way to keep his team in a position to win. I think the Pitt game will be one that will be very difficult for us to win, even at home.

Go Jackets!

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
My belief about our ability to get D stops is related to match ups. I still believe a team with a great throwing QB and weapons OR a big bruising running game OR both will give us a lot of trouble. UNC & their QB could be a problem. We will see.

Based on these concerns & still concerned about coaching decisions, we are probably no better than 5th in coastal, but I could see us continuing to progress & getting in the top 2-3.