Early rankings for the ACC Coastal.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just my early observations of the strength of the ACC Coastal. How I would rank them:

1) Virginia
2) Pittsburgh
3) Va. Tech
4) UNC
5) Miami
6) Ga. Tech
7) Duke

To me, it looks like the top 4 are clearly better than the bottom 3. No super strong teams and the door is open for us to move up but we have to improve each week and get some breaks.

Go Jackets!

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with your rankings in general. Top 4 teams seem to be in 1 tier, miami in a middle tier, duke and tech at the bottom. We still have a young team and the ability to improve our ranking a lot. Let's hope we pull it off!

ACC Coastal is again the most top-to-bottom competitive division in college football (SEC West is definitely the strongest). We can all just enjoy Coastal Chaos for the remainder of the season

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just my early observations of the strength of the ACC Coastal. How I would rank them:

1) Virginia
2) Pittsburgh
3) Va. Tech
4) UNC
5) Miami
6) Ga. Tech
7) Duke

To me, it looks like the top 4 are clearly better than the bottom 3. No super strong teams and the door is open for us to move up but we have to improve each week and get some breaks.

Go Jackets!
Can't believe I'll say this but I would put your 3 at 1 and your 1 down to 3

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
I would agree with your assessment if UNC defeats UVA this Saturday night. Otherwise, I would accept your top three and leave UNC in the bottom 4. They have a lot of hype coming into this year, but if they should lose to UVA this week, their chances of winning the Coastal are almost nil.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

1) Virginia
2) Pittsburgh
3) Va. Tech
4) UNC
5) Miami
6) Ga. Tech
7) Duke

Go Jackets!
Of the bottom 3, the only one with a chance to still make a move is Miami. The talent is there (it always is) to beat any of the top four, maybe even all of them. The difference between the top team and the bottom team in the Coastal is not that large as is typical for the division.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

1) Virginia
2) Pittsburgh
3) Va. Tech
4) UNC
5) Miami
6) Ga. Tech
7) Duke

Go Jackets!
These rankings are sure to be in flux in the next couple of weeks:

1. Virginia Tech
2. Pittsburg
3. UNC
4. Virginia
5. Ga Tech
6. Miami
7. Duke

More confident about the top of the list than the bottom.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I would have it:

1. Va Tech
2. UNC
3. Pitt
4. Miami
5. UVA
6. GT
7. Duke

I'm not quite as down on Miami as others. Beating App St by 2 isn't that bad. App St is a solid program. They need a good showing against Mich St this weekend though.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I would have it:
1. VT
2. Pitt
3. UNC
4. UVA
5.Miami
6.GT
7. Duke

Bottom line for me, it's to early to really tell, need couple more games from each IMO.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
There’s honestly not a team in this division I would be surprised about beating soundly on any given Saturday. We have the players if the coaches can get out of their way. I still think we beat VPI at home. Keep in mind their roster is paper thin at basically every position so they’ll fade as the year goes on.

Other than Duke being last I think anybody can end up anywhere in the Top 6.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
There’s honestly not a team in this division I would be surprised about beating soundly on any given Saturday. We have the players if the coaches can get out of their way. I still think we beat VPI at home. Keep in mind their roster is paper thin at basically every position so they’ll fade as the year goes on.

Other than Duke being last I think anybody can end up anywhere in the Top 6.
This place is going to meltdown if we lose to Duke, based on this thread. Concensus last place.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
This place is going to meltdown if we lose to Duke, based on this thread. Concensus last place.

I guess the flip of my comment also makes sense in that I wouldn’t be surprised a o it losing to any Coastal team soundly (even Duke). Our talent dwarfs them but our staff is bad enough to squander the advantage.

But I can’t see Duke getting past 2 conference wins. 1-2 looking likely.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
As of today it looks like I will be there to see it (visiting my daughter - only my 2nd in person game since we left ATL in 2018 so I'm excited to see our guys in person). And yes, Virginia, there would be a melt down - deservedly in my opinion.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Obviously it is too early for this, but based on the couple of games that have been played.

VT - win over a division foe (at home) and an easy home win over an FBS opponent.
Pitt - road win over a P5 team and an easy home win over an independent FBS program
UVA - easy home win over a P5 team and an easy home win over a FCS program
UNC - loss to division opponent (on road) and an easy home win over a FBS program
Miami - neutral loss to #1 P5 team and a close home win over a FBS program
Duke - road loss to FBS program, easy home win to FCS program
GT - home loss to FBS program, easy home win to FCS program

Let's see how this starts to shake out in a few weeks.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I would have it:
1. Pitt
2. VThug
3. UNC
4. GT
5.Miami
6.UVA
7. Duke

I am not buying into UVA at all.
Talent wise UVA is lacking but they have good coaching. UNC has the best quarterback. I was watching their game last week and that guy can lay that ball right where it has to be given time. Pitt may have, again, the best defensive line based upon what little I saw of their game. I still believe that Miami has the most overall talent but manages to squander most of it.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What is encouraging and sobering at the same time, is the stark reality that none of these teams are unbeatable. In fact, they are all flawed and their margin for error is razor thin. This tells me that Coaching will be a key determinant, even more so than usual. If we can develop some good team chemistry and play with some confidence we have a chance to have a successful season. Our guys need to start expecting to win and drop the cloud of expecting to lose. There are no world beaters in the ACC Coastal. It could just as easily be us that wins the division as anyone else. Let's seize the day!

Go Jackets!