Early Line GT-ND

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Game Show GIF by ABC Network

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
Surprised at how close that spread seems.

Injury reports might change it.

They already have perhaps.

Fanduel often posts lines for week T+1 before week T games happen. And then takes down the T+1 lines while week T is happening.

GT opened +7 and was bet down to +6.5 before yesterday. Likely a combination of King’s uncertainty plus yesterday’s results (close game for GT / blowout win for ND) flipped it back over a TD.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
WILD to be single digit spread with Notre Dame
There have moans about coaching lately, understandably.

But you have to step back and love that considering the past 5 years of GT football.
What was the score the last time we played them? Time to show out.
But they have portalled in a passing qb. They seem to rely on stout defense. Is it the best we have seen?

slugboy

Staff member
We will have a few more previews coming in.

Short version--this game can go a lot of different ways, but we can win. ND can win, and win big, but we have a real shot if we are healthy and play well.

I post GameOnPaper a lot, and today isn't any different

IMG_0395.jpeg

One piece of good news--even with Riley Leonard, ND hasn't shown much of a passing offense so far this year. They run the ball really well. Despite yesterday, we have an acceptable rushing defense. So, our defense against their offense may not be terrible.

The one thing that UNC is really good at is explosive plays, and they had a field day yesterday. Notre Dame isn't quite that good at explosive plays, but they're up there in the rushing game.

We weren't as good on offense yesterday as we'd like to be. Next week we're facing a top 10 defense. That's gonna be a task. We're good on offense, but we need our best game of the season.

Notre Dame had lost one game this year, to Northern Illinois. They have a solid defense and a good rushing attack. They stopped ND from getting big plays and ground out a win. NIU looks like a decent team, and were briefly in the top 25 (like us). They lost two games, to Buffalo and NCST.

Here's some highlights from the NIU game

Louisville seemed like a good common opponent, but this game looks like the UNC gamer for us--loss of chaos

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
One piece of good news--even with Riley Leonard, ND hasn't shown much of a passing offense so far this year. They run the ball really well. Despite yesterday, we have an acceptable rushing defense. So, our defense against their offense may not be terrible.
Looking at Game on Paper it appears that our Strengths and Weaknesses match up pretty well against theirs.
  • ND has an elite passing defense, so we Run The Bawl instead. Their run defense is ok but not elite, which plays into our tendency for game and possession control.
  • Our weakness on defense is against the pass, but their passing game has been poor.
  • Their run game has been decent, but our run defense is stout.
My biggest concern for this game will be team health and depth.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Looking at Game on Paper it appears that our Strengths and Weaknesses match up pretty well against theirs.
  • ND has an elite passing defense, so we Run The Bawl instead. Their run defense is ok but not elite, which plays into our tendency for game and possession control.
  • Our weakness on defense is against the pass, but their passing game has been poor.
  • Their run game has been decent, but our run defense is stout.
My biggest concern for this game will be team health and depth.
I also think ND will sell out to stop the run and make us one dimensional. It is not that we can't pass but we have shown very little inclination to have a balanced attack this year.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Looks good for us. A winnable game. CBF is starting to get the CPJ treatment from Tech fans. People all triggered by his play calling, yet he puts up over 500 yards with a hurt QB.
Buster generally called a much better game yesterday, but we got way too conservative with a 10 point lead. When we recovered that fumble we should have opened up the playbook to put the game away with a 17 point lead. Instead we send in Pyron, run three straight running plays, including two by the QB and miss a 49 yard field goal (from the 32 on the right hash…ugh). I mean if that was the plan at least run left three times so we aren’t on the right hash!

All of this happened while the defense went super conservative as well. Short version is we took our foot off the gas. Can’t do that.

So what else seemed odd to me was why King got pulled then. He had just led us on a 10 play drive to score completing a couple nice passes in route. The only thing I can think is that maybe he aggravated the injury on the run down to the four? But I can’t find a video of it anywhere due to the condensed game.

We need to let Pyron throw the ball every once in a while to show that he can. Hell, there’s no way he can’t execute those screen passes.

Still glad we won.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this is a good matchup for us based on what I’ve seen.

Aside from the obvious (King’s status), my biggest concern is in-game coaching. The margin is thin for dumb mistakes against a good team like Notre Dame.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Buster generally called a much better game yesterday, but we got way too conservative with a 10 point lead. When we recovered that fumble we should have opened up the playbook to put the game away with a 17 point lead. Instead we send in Pyron, run three straight running plays, including two by the QB and miss a 49 yard field goal (from the 32 on the right hash…ugh). I mean if that was the plan at least run left three times so we aren’t on the right hash!

All of this happened while the defense went super conservative as well. Short version is we took our foot off the gas. Can’t do that.

So what else seemed odd to me was why King got pulled then. He had just led us on a 10 play drive to score completing a couple nice passes in route. The only thing I can think is that maybe he aggravated the injury on the run down to the four? But I can’t find a video of it anywhere due to the condensed game.

We need to let Pyron throw the ball every once in a while to show that he can. Hell, there’s no way he can’t execute those screen passes.

Still glad we won.
The play calls for Pyron wil be different than for King. But within the same philosophy ( motion, screens, counters) burt I believe we will pass more.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
The game plan would have never been the same against ND vs. UNC. We would have to be more balanced in run and pass since ND has a very good defense. The question is can we do that if we don't have our starting QB.
Let's see...ND has an elite pass defense and an average run defense. We have an excellent run game. What kind of balance should we have?