Dynasty-perhaps?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I am restating some of the things some of you and myself have posted in the past few months. I will keep this sort of simple. At any rate here goes: 1. The football staff is now as good as it can get for GT. Most of the ? marks have been answered such as this hi school offense can be stopped. That is a misnomer of enormous proportion! Doesn't matter who we line up against. That is when Tech is well stocked at QB, Ol, skill pos. and in that order. Even this year counting all the lack of experience at ab, bb, and wr there is still talent enough for me not to worry. The Ol will take care of a lot of that. CTR has now proven that he can do some awesome work.2. The recruiting staff being added is proving that it is making a difference. And this is hugely important to the depth perception of which people are now conceiving is working towards years of worry free perception. Coach Sewak must also be mentioned as a very good recruiter whom a lot of people thought differently. So you have a recruiting staff, great assistants to recruit, and Paul Johnson who I believe has figured out how to and the whys. 3 As I have said already and through out the last year wait till you DO SEE the entire depth chart!!! When the true fr are all added to the roster you will NOT have ever seen anything like it in Tech history!!!! And these guys are NOT reaches! NONE of them. Sure we may be young in some pos., but real talent is there. Like i said before this year can be considered a rebuilding year. But look where we are picked to finish by the experts. One is even calling us a dark horse for the final 4. Now if your rebuilding works out to 9 wins or better what does that mean for the next 2 years? I personally would expect even 8 wins would be good in a rebuil year. But with some luck and a healthy year you could see (wow) I won't even mention it. Now when this season ends like the experts see it; our recruiting will really take off and there is the dynasty which WILL last as long as Paul is here. 4. The president of GT seems to on board also ( rec. Staff). Contract extensions and raises. Now lets not forget our Chaplain whom some recruits give a lot of credit for their commitments. Thanks for reading and your thoughts are certainly welcomed, and I will try to comment on each.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I am as optimistic, if not more. I can't recall in 27 years of watching GT football of a year where GT is returning so many experienced players at key positions. But the team should not get overconfident, and I don't believe the coaching staff will allow that to happen until the plateau has been reached. We all know what it will take - trust in each other. Never quit on a play. Give it your all. Strive to execute and eliminate mistakes.

I really do hope the program has rounded the horn, and that every player took a look when passing. So much optimism. So much potential. But's let's all remember to have some fun along the way and enjoy the game we love, no matter how it all shakes out.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Wonderful reply! You have added trust of what I left out. This is what I have been posting also. Thanks for this mention. To put in another perspective is the chemical make up and the leadership which I believe harbored the buy in of the to offense. The leadership, buy in, and the trust is TRULY REMARKABLE. And I can't remember any team of any sport where that leadership led a team to greatness from inside the start of the season. After 5 games we had NO clue where we stood! I believe the underlying leadership is just a Jr. Now in 3 years someone will have to pick that up at least to a degree! You young guys who will that be?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, yes I am optimistic. Especially for 3 to 4 years out. That is what is unbelievable about Tech football!

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
Whoa Nellie! Put up the sharp objects if we ever lose a game.

It really depends upon how we lose. If the team lays an egg like last year's Dook game, that's one thing. If the team loses to a quality team but goes down fighting, like F$U, that's another. I can live with the latter. The former was downright excruciating.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
It depends on what you call a dynasty. Is Boise State a dynasty? No, because they don't win their conference every year, nor contend for the NC all the time. But yes, since they built a mid-major program (D2, JC before that) into an institution of great football in their region, and lifted the ceiling of teams around them. When you hear Boise State you think of a terrific, winning team no matter what the experience/lack thereof of the current roster.

I think it's more realistic for GT to hope for that style of 'dynasty' under CPJ -- a well-respected, tough, yearly threat to win the ACC -- as opposed to an annual top-5 NC contender. Recruiting would need to take another few huge leaps for the second scenario to happen.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I fully agree with all you state. The dynasty is in the content of what GT is with the academics, small number of alumni, which means small fan base, and fb history. To be able to have gone to a bowl game in 18 straight season with what I just mentioned is unreal. Now looking forward 5 years I can see the notch in an upward spiral.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Yes based on history. The closest we came was from 1951 through 1956. Right now we are in the starting position. In GT's history I would consider over the course of 5 years 10 win average a dynasty. Thanks for the reply!

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Right now I'll be most ecstatic with a Chip. I'll expand on the dynasty afterwards.

Love your optimism.

I am as optimistic, if not more. I can't recall in 27 years of watching GT football of a year where GT is returning so many experienced players at key positions. But the team should not get overconfident, and I don't believe the coaching staff will allow that to happen until the plateau has been reached. We all know what it will take - trust in each other. Never quit on a play. Give it your all. Strive to execute and eliminate mistakes.

I really do hope the program has rounded the horn, and that every player took a look when passing. So much optimism. So much potential. But's let's all remember to have some fun along the way and enjoy the game we love, no matter how it all shakes out.

It is a new year. I temper this kind of optimistic lunacy with memories of 1991. Ciraldo extolled how Ross had built a "juggernaut" , the program was so deep with athletes, etc. Couldn't win the first game against Penn State, and ended up 8-5 barely winning our middle tier bowl. Ross jumped ship taking Friedgen and O'Leary with him. Let's just say it is tough to win one game, let alone 11 or 12. Let there be no talk of dynasty. We had a great year, a phenomenal year. But dynasties aren't built on 8-5,, 7-6, and 6-7 seasons.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Jean thanks for the reply, but lets NOT shoot down any optimism! One of the things you missed on is the way the triple option works especially with a real to QB. I will not into the rest of the original post so if in case you missed something else. Keeping the chemistry among the players also involves the fan bases optimism. The more they see it the more they believe in themselves! I will never go the other route! I might be shot down after the first 5 games, but I don't think so! So I further suggest fans look ahead instead of the past!