Dynasty-perhaps?

A dynasty in my opinion is built on years of being a dominant team. We ain't there yet but with that being said we continue to be competetive every game and we have a chance at achieving dynasty status. I want GT to be a feared opponent on anyone's schedule. We reach that stage we are a dynasty.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Captain, Thanks for the remarks. If you read closely; I was writing into the future- not now. Also a dynasty by GT history not the Crimson Tide. Also the academics, small fan base ect. Go back and read all my replies and you will that spelled out!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we have the right things in place now to have a very good team for the foreseeable future. Dynasty may be too strong a word, but I like it! I think the key ingredient to double digit winning seasons is that elite option qb. We kinda lucked into JT, very few kids are gonna turn down Bama and Saben just because of position change.

The time frame immediately following JT is gonna be very telling.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I think we have the right things in place now to have a very good team for the foreseeable future. Dynasty may be too strong a word, but I like it! I think the key ingredient to double digit winning seasons is that elite option qb. We kinda lucked into JT, very few kids are gonna turn down Bama and Saben just because of position change.

Thanks for your reply, You are spot on about the future QB situation! I am somewhat concerned, but not the worry mode! With the 3 QB'S either behind JT or those coming into it. I am only concerned.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
To put my dynasty belief in another text: For the rest of CPJ's time here a top 20 season ending not the the top 5 each year.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
The reason I am on the Dynasty side is because we have been so close for about two decades. If we had given the HC job to O'Leary or Friedgen when Ross left. Often just a couple of players or a couple of years off. For instance, imagine if Brooking and Rogers who left in '97 had been around for '99 when Hamilton was in his prime and we had no defense. If 9-11 hadn't happened the week we were to play FSU in '01 with, I think, a team better than last year's that then completely lost focus. If we'd had a reliable game manager at either OC or QB when Calvin and Choice were on the field. If the best running back in a GT uniform that I ever saw, Tony Hollings, stayed healthy. Remember Flunkgate? Probations? So many close late losses to uga and VT that would have turned good seasons into great ones and built the momentum. Yet thru all of that and three head coaches, we have kept the bowl streak, haven't had a losing conference record, had some spectacular seasons, had players win national awards. In the last 20 years, we are 12-9 against Clemson, have held our own against Miami since they joined the conference, owned Tobacco Road. There is one hill still left to climb for us to be a Dynasty. Quit losing late to VT and uga. The solution is better depth, and I think we may be there.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Red!, the only thing I believe after 9-11 it was Va. Tech and Vick up there. Everything else interesting read!!!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
What happened to the team in '91 to cause that downslide?
My guess leadership went airy. Plus Shawn was a great QB in that system and that brings me back to JT and the buy in of the to with CPJ who imo is one of the great play callers of all time! Yes I know that is a very strong statement, but look what he has done with what he had! Now look with what he's got now!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It is a new year. I temper this kind of optimistic lunacy with memories of 1991. Ciraldo extolled how Ross had built a "juggernaut" , the program was so deep with athletes, etc. Couldn't win the first game against Penn State, and ended up 8-5 barely winning our middle tier bowl. Ross jumped ship taking Friedgen and O'Leary with him. Let's just say it is tough to win one game, let alone 11 or 12. Let there be no talk of dynasty. We had a great year, a phenomenal year. But dynasties aren't built on 8-5,, 7-6, and 6-7 seasons.
I still do not understand why people were so optimistic before the 1991 season. I predicted to my friends that we would lose that early scheduled opener against Penn State and have an average year.

I am not predicting the same thing this year. :)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If 9-11 hadn't happened the week we were to play FSU in '01 with, I think, a team better than last year's that then completely lost focus.
It was clear to me that 9/11 completely killed our momentum and focus that year. I knew Tech would take an emotional nose dive with all the rescheduling and distractions and it turned out to be true.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
In the past after great seasons; at least since the great 1950's streak, we were lacking something! Such as leadership, irreplaceable players, change of coaches, luck, injuries, probation, and lack of depth!! Now to the present and you have heard me out!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer

Bad luck with Jaylend Ratliff's injury. If he hadnt had his accident we'd be set at QB IMO. Kid is a stud.

Campbell anf Jordan have potential but IMO are more raw. Fortunately they have some time to develop.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Dynasties occur when you have talent, defense, plus a Great QB; year after year. The Oklahomas, Nebraskas, FSUs, Miamis, NDs, USCs, and the Alabamans all had those great runs. Many, many, many teams have had one or two 11 win seasons and top ten finishes.

mqpayne

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for the reply! When was anything close to what I am talking about with GT? I say 1951 - 1956.
Yes. 1956 we go 10 and 1 with Wade Mitchell at QB and Toppy Van his backup. Dodd had Graves DC and Broyles OC. We ran the Belly Series which CPJ told me we used to beat MSU in the OB this year. Yes that was the last period that looks like this except now we have a supportive President. Go Jackets. 8 straight.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Yes. 1956 we go 10 and 1 with Wade Mitchell at QB and Toppy Van his backup. Dodd had Graves DC and Broyles OC. We ran the Belly Series which CPJ told me we used to beat MSU in the OB this year. Yes that was the last period that looks like this except now we have a supportive President. Go Jackets. 8 straight.
My favorite reply of all time!!!

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Captain, Thanks for the remarks. If you read closely; I was writing into the future- not now. Also a dynasty by GT history not the Crimson Tide. Also the academics, small fan base ect. Go back and read all my replies and you will that spelled out!

It's unfair when people the same standards on all 3 levels. An NFL team consistently beats out 15 others for their conference win, and is considered a dynasty. There are 200+ D1 college teams and only 4 are voted into the playoff, as opposed to more than 1/3 of NFL teams making it in and (in some states) every HS team having a chance in the playoffs.

In HS you can be considered a dynasty for winning your state/enrollment class several times w/o the constant comparisons. Webb City, MO is a dynasty, but they're not gonna go beat Bishop Gorman or De La Salle.

Any college program that wins its conference 2x or 3x in a row OR sets a standard for beating great football schools while promoting academic excellence (and dealing with the resulting disadvantages in recruiting) is A#1. Georgia Tech is already achieving the latter and has a chance to achieve the former.