Dwyer Interview

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Dwyer gained the weight in 2009 on purpose. as a BB then in 2008.

Word on campus during this time (from good sources) was the exact opposite. Everyone just kind of assumed that he got big to play BB, but mammas cooking may have been the real culprit.

JD always seemed like a real nice & chill guy. Same with his family. Wish things worked out better for him in the league and hope he cleared up whatever his off the field issues were.

Great GT player.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Dwyer was a true factory talent playing for our beloved jackets. Wished he could've had a better showing in the league to promote Tech like Calvin has along with Thomas.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
He spends a good chunk of the show talking about his time at Tech. He also mentions what he is up to now, at the end of the interview. Really recommend listening to the entire show. His segment starts around 27 minutes in.

JD will always be the measuring stick of what a Bback is about. Fine combination of size, power, speed, and exceptional cutting ability. What I always marveled about him was how he would make one cut beyond the line of scrimmage and then hit another gear to take it to the house. Really good player.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He was noticeably overweight in 2009. Thought he was fine in 2008.
As I remember he was rostered at 225 Johnson's first year and Johnson wanted him there. He put on at least 10 pounds the next season and for some reason said Johnson wanted him heavier. Not a good move.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Lmao Dwyer was a beast in 09. Some are making it sound like the dude fell off while @ Tech.

Well spoken guy, I always like listening to his interviews.
Yes but very few GT players aren't well spoken in interviews...guys always represent well. And before someone else says it...ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiii

DenverJacket56

Georgia Tech Fan
IIRC, it was said that JD showed up to Orange Bowl in 09 about 20 lbs. heavy from the holidays and CPJ was pissed. This started the conflict. He did not look very good in the game against Iowa, so it sounds about right. I'd love to see a triple threat again like we had in 09. JFN, JD, and DT. That was fun football to watch!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've said it before, but having Dwyer as our first BB really spoiled us. No offense to the BBs that followed him, but it was going to be hard to improve upon that. I know teams didn't defend our offense as well back then, but the guy still AVERAGED 5.9 yards a pop in 2009 after teams saw us for a year. He still ran for almost 1400 yards each season at BB with a makeshift OL. He was a power back that had the feet of a smaller back.

The 2008 and 2009 years were fun. On offense, you could always count on 2 things during those years: 1. Nesbitt was gonna get you the first down on 3rd or 4th and short. 2. Dwyer was gonna give you at least 1 special play a game. Nesbitt and Dwyer on the speed option is as scary as it gets in our offense.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Even when a tad too heavy....less than ideal bmi....Dwyer was a beast and the best RB we have had since Tony Hollings. Arguably better than Hollings, Levens, Bell, Mays, or Lavette. Pretty damn good company to be in. Was so damn fun to watch.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
As I recall the ajc article at the opening of fall 2009 camp Dwyer bragged that he was up around 240 but that he had not lost any speed.
Johnson told him the get his weight down or sit the bench. He got his weight down.

Yomanser

Recruiting Insider
Retired Staff
Weight gain in NFL was due to coming off of his ADD/ADHD medication which despite having a legitimate need for it, was still a banned substance in the LEAGUE.
I could very easily see this. Medications like Concerta, Vyvanse, and Adderall have the side effect of suppressing appetite

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
t. I know teams didn't defend our offense as well back then, but the guy still AVERAGED 5.9 yards a pop in 2009 after teams saw us for a year. He still ran for almost 1400 yards each season at BB with a makeshift OL. He was a power back that had the feet of a smaller back.

Puts into perspective the 7.02 ypc that Marshall averaged over his two years here.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I've said it before, but having Dwyer as our first BB really spoiled us. No offense to the BBs that followed him, but it was going to be hard to improve upon that. I know teams didn't defend our offense as well back then, but the guy still AVERAGED 5.9 yards a pop in 2009 after teams saw us for a year. He still ran for almost 1400 yards each season at BB with a makeshift OL. He was a power back that had the feet of a smaller back.

The 2008 and 2009 years were fun. On offense, you could always count on 2 things during those years: 1. Nesbitt was gonna get you the first down on 3rd or 4th and short. 2. Dwyer was gonna give you at least 1 special play a game. Nesbitt and Dwyer on the speed option is as scary as it gets in our offense.

2 things I'll never forget: (1) that cut 21 put on Ramarcus Brown (uga #11) and (2) those were some of the ugliest uniforms ever worn by any team ever.

You don't say "broke the safety's ankles" when talking about any other BB but Jon Dwyer.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I could very easily see this. Medications like Concerta, Vyvanse, and Adderall have the side effect of suppressing appetite
I can tell you as a first-hand witness, Vyvanse does not not supress the appetite. However, it does boost the metabolism to the point that it's very difficult for growing, athletic teenagers to maintain any level of body fat. I've got two examples in my house (both boy and girl). They both eat me out of house and home.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I can tell you as a first-hand witness, Vyvanse does not not supress the appetite. However, it does boost the metabolism to the point that it's very difficult for growing, athletic teenagers to maintain any level of body fat. I've got two examples in my house (both boy and girl). They both eat me out of house and home.
Well, if that doesn't work try poverty. That will surely do it.