Dwyer Interview

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Not too sure his draft status fell bc of the offense he played in...

I'd say it fell because he showed up to the combine 40 lbs overweight and stayed fat nearly his entire career. That guy was one of the most naturally gifted running backs I've ever seen, but just didn't try to reach his potential

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
That's cool that guys like Dwyer, Burnett, Roddy, and Demaryius went to Tech as sort of a hometown pride thing, trying to turn the culture around. Similar to what the Miami players did in the 80s, and hey it worked. 2008 and 2009 were great teams. I just wish more kids that live Georgia tried to do the same thing, especially for basketball.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I'd say it fell because he showed up to the combine 40 lbs overweight and stayed fat nearly his entire career. That guy was one of the most naturally gifted running backs I've ever seen, but just didn't try to reach his potential
He was noticeably overweight in 2009. Thought he was fine in 2008.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
He is a good story teller, I like hearing him speak. I remember him having a falling out with GT/CPJ after he went to the league. It's too bad, because I think he'd make a great representative of GT (ala Roddy Jones). Anyone know if he ever graduated?

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
He is a good story teller, I like hearing him speak. I remember him having a falling out with GT/CPJ after he went to the league. It's too bad, because I think he'd make a great representative of GT (ala Roddy Jones). Anyone know if he ever graduated?

he did have a domestic violence charge with his baby momma when he was in AZ and was immediately cut. I don't know the facts and circumstances, but that might be considered when touting that he would be a great representative of GT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lot of interesting tidbits:

JD could have been playing for Urban Meyer and with Tim Tebow at Florida. GT ended up snagging JD away from his soft verbal to UF.

JD and Nesbitt were a package deal. I believe others wanted Nesbitt at Safety (where he played in the NFL), and Gailey gave him a legit shot at QB. Pretty cool story about how the 2007 class came about.

He was a HIGHLY recruited player. Ended performing better in college than the guys other guys schools had pegged ahead of him (Joe McNight at USC, Caleb King at UGA).

Ok, have to add this about Dwyer. In May 2008 I was at a friends house who lives 5 doors down from CPJ. CPJ came to the party and I got to talk to him for 45 minutes. He and his wife are great folks. Being that long time Tech guy I of course gave him advise. I told him keep the bowl streak going, go 500 against Georgia and they will re-name the stadium for him. Funny was what I said about Dwyer, now this was prior to the 2008 season. I said that Dwyer was going to be a great running back but make sure he gets in shape because he looks pudgy. Hmmmm

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Dwyer gained the weight in 2009 on purpose. I believe he said that the wear and tear during a season where he was going to get the ball all the time and everyone knew it was pretty fierce. Going up 10 - 15 pounds didn't slow him down appreciably and he could take the pounding without getting down to a weight where it would lead to injury as the season progressed. I actually thought he looked better in 2009 as a BB then in 2008.

Getting up there in the pros wasn't as good an idea, especially on a team coached by that guy at Pittsburg. He's way to given to making snap judgments about players and schemes then sticking with them. Dwyer could never dig himself out of the hole Tomlin consigned him to, despite performing well in his time on the field. Too bad, that.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think Dwyer gained the weight in 2009 on purpose. I believe he said that the wear and tear during a season where he was going to get the ball all the time and everyone knew it was pretty fierce. Going up 10 - 15 pounds didn't slow him down appreciably and he could take the pounding without getting down to a weight where it would lead to injury as the season progressed. I actually thought he looked better in 2009 as a BB then in 2008.

Getting up there in the pros wasn't as good an idea, especially on a team coached by that guy at Pittsburg. He's way to given to making snap judgments about players and schemes then sticking with them. Dwyer could never dig himself out of the hole Tomlin consigned him to, despite performing well in his time on the field. Too bad, that.
Dwyer had a legitimate shot in Pittsburgh due to 5 million injuries to the guys ahead of him. He didn’t look all that great in the few games he was the #1 guy. Judging by his performance when he had the chance, I don’t think it was any pre-snap judgements that ruined his career.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Dwyer had a legitimate shot in Pittsburgh due to 5 million injuries to the guys ahead of him. He didn’t look all that great in the few games he was the #1 guy. Judging by his performance when he had the chance, I don’t think it was any pre-snap judgements that ruined his career.
Well, nobody who played RB while he was there looked all that hot because the Steelers were a pass-first team, just like they are today. When Dwyer got enough carries, he looked fine. (I just looked; he averaged 4 ypc in his one year with heavy duty, 2012.) I hope he gets the opportunities he talks about in the interview; maybe he'll get a chance on another team.