Duke

JKMSJ

Jolly Good Fellow
If Gregory is still here next year I will not go to a single game. This team does not know how to win and as I've said before Gregory is in WAY over his head.This is a pretty talented team and with a competent coach we would be 6-2 instead of 2-6 in ACC play.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We had a 28-10 advantage on points in the paint at the half, and we couldn't get it to the post against M2M defense in the second 20 minutes? We should have force-fed Nick every time down the court. That is not one of Duke's better defensive teams either. Yet another complete and utter second half collapse. No need to say anymore than that really.

I've had enough of this game in and game out. Our AD stands to do some serious long-term damage to this fanbase (and program) if he cannot pull together enough resources to replace this staff at seasons end.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We had a 28-10 advantage on points in the paint at the half, and we couldn't get it to the post against M2M defense. That is not one of Duke's better defensive teams either. Yet another complete and utter second half collapse. No need to say anymore than that really.

I've had enough..the AD stands to do some serious long-term damage to this fanbase (and program) if he cannot pull together enough resources to replace this staff at seasons end.

Welcome.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On the one hand, they haven't been playing that well, which could give us a shot. On the other hand, I just remembered our perimeter defense.

Our biggest chance is if we somehow overwhelm them on offense, because they have the ingredients to go off from the perimeter, which is our biggest achilles' heel (we have like 10 heels).

So yeah. I don't like to tout my hoops knowledge, but I nailed this one.

The thing I'm most annoyed about is that I'm not even angry right now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We have the U coming up next. I think we could be looking at another 4-14 type record. We can play great basketball (and we did in stretches last night) but cannot seem to sustain anything close to that level of play through an entire game. As stated earlier, we abandoned our game plan at the half. I thought it was a good plan because Plumlee is not a good defender and Ingram only weighs about 95 pounds. The rest of Duke's guys are guards.

Question for the board: Has Mitchell become less effective as the season progressed? I thought his weight loss was going to allow him more minutes and better late season stamina. Two points in eleven minutes for our #4 scorer and best rebounder. I know he did not match up well on the other end, but which Duke player was going to guard him if Nick was also in the game? Ingram?

BTW. I need a new remote. Mine developed a cracked case last night.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
As stated earlier, we abandoned our game plan at the half. I thought it was a good plan because Plumlee is not a good defender and Ingram only weighs about 95 pounds. The rest of Duke's guys are guards.

Duke went from trying to run a zone D to running man to man at the half. That's why our gameplan changed at the half. The problem was it looked like we were surprised that Duke went into its bag of tricks pulling out their rarely seen man to man defense. Have to give Duke coaches credit for having the balls to abandon what they have done for so long to try out the man to man.

Question for the board: Has Mitchell become less effective as the season progressed?

No. He just had inflated numbers against the OOC schedule that was destined to decline once ACC play hit.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Duke went from trying to run a zone D to running man to man at the half. That's why our gameplan changed at the half. The problem was it looked like we were surprised that Duke went into its bag of tricks pulling out their rarely seen man to man defense. Have to give Duke coaches credit for having the balls to abandon what they have done for so long to try out the man to man.

No. He just had inflated numbers against the OOC schedule that was destined to decline once ACC play hit.
Our feed the post game plan should have worked better against m2m. Who was Ingram going to defend down low?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Our feed the post game plan should have worked better against m2m. Who was Ingram going to defend down low?

You're only looking at half the equation. A big part of defending the post is cutting off passing lanes to it through pressure by the guards. When Duke was in man to man they were not pressuring our guards much and it opened up passing lanes, and driving lanes for that matter. When they went man to man that changed. Guards were pressured more and so the passing lanes that were there in the first half, weren't.

We were lucky Duke decided to try and run zone instead of just doing what they are known for. Made it a game for a half.