Duke Series

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Let me expand on that last post. This is for sure a disappointing year, as has been a handful of others. Having said that, who knows what lies ahead. CDH record speaks for itself, he is not the only coach that has never won the big one who is an all time great coach, and that includes all sports. He has represented the institution with class for his entire career and GT baseball is fortunate to have had him. I also utter the damn Danny’s, and the coach is ultimately the man to take the blame, and I’m sure he say the same
100% agreed - there's predictable venting going on here. We've rarely had quality pitching depth during Hall's tenure which I believe primarily points to recruiting focus but this will go down as a historically poor pitching staff as measured by team ERA and probably some other stats. The product has almost (but not quite) become unwatchable at times this season. Just enough offense to keep ya watching and make it entertaining though!

But after having a consistently winning program for 25 years, we must all remember it can get much, much worse. The grass is usually not greener on the other side with new coaches...but we can hope...

That said, I believe CDH will probably hang up his cleats either this season or next so we'll be looking at a coaching change soon anyway. And then we get to gripe about how much the new coach sucks and realize things weren't all that bad under CDH. Change is coming...

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm with you. I'll never watch the end of that Auburn game. Walked around the house and occasionally heard the Auburn crowd cheering. Soul crushing.

But the season isn't over. Have a little faith, you ain't a beauty but you're all right. We ain't that young anymore.

Applaud you're healthy, somewhat therapeutic perspective. I feel a need to lay down on the sofa in your office and just vent...

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Applaud you're healthy, somewhat therapeutic perspective. I feel a need to lay down on the sofa in your office and just vent...
BTW, everyone on this thread should jump over to the GT golf team thread as they just finished in the final two today in the ACC Championship and will be playing for their 10th championship in 15 years against Wake Forrest tomorrow morning in Panama City. Better positive GT energy...!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Springsteen, Jackson Brown, Boston are some of my go-to groups.

I'm beginning to think that most of our pitcher problem is not physical but mental; in that they are thinking too much and don't have the muscle memory yet for consistency. But then again, maybe I'm overthinking it. (@rodandanga ?)

BTW, my karma failed so someone else can introduce next week's Miami series.

Last edited:

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Folks, our baseball team never quit yesterday. All of our players — every one of them — played hard and gave it their all. They competed, and just came up short, 15-14!

I’m proud of ‘em. They never quit, and as a GT baseball fan, I never quit, either!

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” “Believe you can and you're halfway there.” “It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.” “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.” — Theodore Roosevelt

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Just checked to find GT ranked 221st in team ERA (6.40) in the nation - and that was only after Saturday's game - obviously now lower after Sunday. I did not note any other P5 programs ranked lower than us except (probably missed some)....but the good news is I saw one - Boston College. So while it may feel like it, we can't say we have the worst pitching staff in the ACC... Gotta look hard to find something positive about this staff right now. Actually, I was really impressed with Medich on Saturday (huge step forward for him this year) and obviously Maxwell did a great job on Friday.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We need a fresh coach. This isn’t football or hoops. We will not fall apart losing Hall. This state is a hotbed for baseball and unlike hoops and football the top players all put GT in their top tier. Ramsey will continue to keep us going and perhaps get us over the hump. Hall is our Richt and Ramsey may well be our Kirby. But GT doesn’t have the guts to make the move so we’ve had to wait for years until Hall decides what to do. We have treated him with the respect of a coach who has won Nattys when in reality he is nowhere on that level. He made a career of driving to East Cobb, signing a handful of them and then hoping. Ramsey will bring us to another level if given the chance. If not, he’ll do it somewhere else.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We need a fresh coach. This isn’t football or hoops. We will not fall apart losing Hall. This state is a hotbed for baseball and unlike hoops and football the top players all put GT in their top tier. Ramsey will continue to keep us going and perhaps get us over the hump. Hall is our Richt and Ramsey may well be our Kirby. But GT doesn’t have the guts to make the move so we’ve had to wait for years until Hall decides what to do. We have treated him with the respect of a coach who has won Nattys when in reality he is nowhere on that level. He made a career of driving to East Cobb, signing a handful of them and then hoping. Ramsey will bring us to another level if given the chance. If not, he’ll do it somewhere else.
Lmao. You have sore terrible takes on the football forum, now you’re bringing them over here. Yeah, Danny Hall. Winningest coach in college baseball. Your right, kick him to the curb, he’s terrible.

Some of y’all may want to look at our brethren from Clemson to see replacing a legend with an up-and-comer doesn’t mean you’ll end up with some perennial CWS contender. Jack Leggett made a regional 21 of 22 seasons, and the CWS 6 times. Since hiring Monte Lee, Clemson has made 4 regionals out of 5 years (excluding 2020), hosted 3 times, and made it to the Supers 0 times.

College baseball is the only sport of the big 3 where small schools and mid-majors can compete and win on any given day with the big boys. Especially now in the days of Covid seniors and a shortened MLB draft. There is literally more talent spread around than there ever has been, between freshman actually making it to campus, and seniors staying an extra year.

I suspect most of y’all who b*tch about DH probably don’t even follow baseball most of the year. Probably have never given anything to the program. Probably never go to games. Probably don’t even watch on TV when there are games on. Could Ramsey be the equivalent of Kirby? I mean, sure it’s possible. But the grass isn’t always greener. Baseball was given virtually no support throughout most of the 2010s, and yet DH was still able to field one of the most competitive teams in the country year-in year-out. Given the quality of our facilities and lack of spending through that period, there’s a greater than 0% chance that anybody else at the helm may not have made it to 1 regional, much less the 7 he got us to.

Btw, there are 299 Division 1 baseball programs. 64 make the tournament. That means the top 21% of teams make the tourney, the top 5% make it to a Super, and the top 2.5% make it to Omaha. You compare that to the 130 team league in college football where the top 25 ranked teams are the top 19%, the 12 NY6 teams are the top 9%, and the 4 CFP teams are the top 3%. Some of y’all are b*thing about DH’s teams being the baseball equivalent of finishing in the Top 25 every single year, but not making it to a NY6 game.

Just a little perspective for you.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Springsteen, Jackson Brown, Boston are some of my go-to groups.

I'm beginning to think that most of our pitcher problem is not physical but mental; in that they are thinking too much and don't have the muscle memory yet for consistency. But then again, maybe I'm overthinking it. (@rodandanga ?)

BTW, my karma failed so someone else can introduce next week's Miami series.
Oooohhhhh, introduce the Miami series. Here is an opportunity for someone to become an instant GTSWARM legend.