Duke rush defense

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The dook linebackers are susceptible. They will bite on motion and take false steps down in the a gaps. If we come off the ball we can trap them.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer

slugboy

Staff member
Longest Day has been posting over at Stingtalk, or you could look at his Twitter feed. He's beginning a breakdown of Army vs. Duke. Tons of targeted blitzing--looks like a smart attack on the Flexbone. I think CPJ is talking to Monken, and hopefully prepping one of his better game plans. Hopefully we can do the same on defense and special teams.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Longest Day has been posting over at Stingtalk, or you could look at his Twitter feed. He's beginning a breakdown of Army vs. Duke. Tons of targeted blitzing--looks like a smart attack on the Flexbone. I think CPJ is talking to Monken, and hopefully prepping one of his better game plans. Hopefully we can do the same on defense and special teams.
CPJ wants us to match Duke's physicality. If we can't do that, all bets are off.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am more concerned with their ball control passing game. We need to get some stops or they will control TOP. They may be the best prepared team against our offense. They schedule Army for a reason. Clemson and UGA just have better personnel. Duke is very much like us in personnel but a different scheme. BTW I have lots of contacts at Duke and Cut isn't leaving there. I used to think PJ got the most out of his players but if you look at Cut he has done better with D and ST than PJ overall. I don't like him personally but have to give him credit for what he has done there.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I am more concerned with their ball control passing game. We need to get some stops or they will control TOP. They may be the best prepared team against our offense. They schedule Army for a reason. Clemson and UGA just have better personnel. Duke is very much like us in personnel but a different scheme. BTW I have lots of contacts at Duke and Cut isn't leaving there. I used to think PJ got the most out of his players but if you look at Cut he has done better with D and ST than PJ overall. I don't like him personally but have to give him credit for what he has done there.
I agree. A 6'5", 220 lb. Jr. QB who has a VERY accurate short/medium passing game might just let Duke control TOP , if we can't do it. Woody best have his boys ready. They seem to only run to set up the pass this year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I noticed we gave up THREE HUNDRED yds rushing to them last yr (500 total).Anything near that this yr, our chances go down a lot.

1. Some go up some.
2. Some go up more

We used to flush the dokie.
I have to admit they have gone up more than we have.
But that will suddenly change in 5 days

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I would really like to see a few screen passes this game early to keep them honest about running upfield.

I never really get this argument other than on a rare situational basis. Screen passes when the D is loading the box to stop the run will typically be far less successful than a quick slant or a post to an A-back right after he gets past LB depth.

We have better “options” than a screen pass. I think many desire screens as that is a big answer other offenses have for us when we blitz or start crashing down hard. Those Os don’t have our better “options”.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If we can't match Duke's football physicality, our program is in far greater trouble than even the most anti-CPJ fans think.

Hoops, I understand. But there's no excuse not to be on equal footing with Duke in football.
Why? Because of history? Times change. They are not the same Duke we made fun of in the 80’s and 90’s. Their administration made a definite an obvious financial commitment to improving the football program and making it respectable. Well they have exceeded that and gone beyond respectable. Their financial commitment exceeds ours.

So let’s stop with the high and mighty attitude. All that talk is in the past.