Duke rush defense

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Duke will stack the box and make us beat them with the passing game. That and they will use multiple stunts to try and disrupt the mesh or pitch relationship. They only have to stop us a few times to win

I agree with your post, but Louisville also "stacked the box" with 9 players, most of the time the safeties were within 10 yds of the line of scrimmage. It did them NO good, since they were not attacking and disrupting. The disruption is critical to beating us.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Doesn’t duke have a different Def coord now than in the past few years? I kinda look for CPJ to try to burn them early on some big pass plays to soften them up on firing the db’s at us. B-back wheel route first play of the game would be awesome.

IF we beat duke in decisive fashion then i am chugging the coolaide on the rest of the season, imo duke is roughly equal to UM and VT and better than uva and unc, it could set the pins up for a nice roll.
I've got u beat! I've promised all in for all of 19.
If the destroy us - wife has me slated for No post game drinking .

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your post, but Louisville also "stacked the box" with 9 players, most of the time the safeties were within 10 yds of the line of scrimmage. It did them NO good, since they were not attacking and disrupting. The disruption is critical to beating us.
I've got u beat! I've promised all in for all of 19.
If the destroy us - wife has me slated for No post game drinking .
If u watch Louisville dl , they were close to l o s and tried to hold ground - they were prepared for lots if cut blocks but got drive blocks and pulling guards.

Bowling g was back a bit further.and ok ut pl was under full head of steam when we hit them.

Clemson DL did same as above but defeated most of our blocks anyway! They did not rush hyper aggressively- no need and didnt want to r ju sk injuries.

Duke will be in backfield if possible. When r g pulls they will run after him like they did shamire.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
#34 nationally in rush defense
122 yards per game
3.3 yards per carry

Army had 41 rushes for 168 yards. They passed it 21 times which is unusual for Monken. They have all-conference players at linebacker and in the secondary. Maybe 2-3 guys who will play on Sundays. They got an extra week to prepare and played Army already this year. Lots of advantages for Duke.

Georgia Tech has the #1 rush offense in the nation, at 373 yards per game.

Something has to give...

I guarantee we will pass (and have to ) more than 2 times this week.Vt burned them but whether we can is a different matter.
Our DEf may get sliced up badly, but if not, this game is squarely on TM.We may need to just out-score these cruds.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What offensive line combo played Friday night? - Saw a lot of Feeney, Braun, Cooper and Hansen with Lee mixed in but was unsure of the most common combos

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If they stack the box, look for some quick pitches to the edge or speed option with the BBacks. We block on the perimeter and have the ABacks sealing the edge like they have the last two weeks and you'll see lanes to the endzone with that approach.
The quick pitch is one thing TM struggles with. Hope he has worked on it.

slugboy

Staff member
Doesn’t duke have a different Def coord now than in the past few years? I kinda look for CPJ to try to burn them early on some big pass plays to soften them up on firing the db’s at us. B-back wheel route first play of the game would be awesome.

IF we beat duke in decisive fashion then i am chugging the coolaide on the rest of the season, imo duke is roughly equal to UM and VT and better than uva and unc, it could set the pins up for a nice roll.

Knowles left in the off-season. Duke has two defensive co-coordinators. One of them had his father die before the Baylor game, and Cutcliffe gave him some time:
https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article218682055.html

I’m pretty sure both coordinators are going to be there for our game.

They did have that upset loss against VT. http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=401013132

Their offense is balanced in attempts. In yardage, they’re a passing team. They aren’t good on offense, but their offense is probably better than our defense has been so far.

On defense, they’re really good. I expect them to be about the same as last year—better on defense and worse on offense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
They are also very disciplined and don't shoot themselves in the foot with dumb penalties. Its one of the few things I do like about them and wish we could emulate. If we don't have any costly penalties, ejections, or bad snaps then I think we can wear them down and pull away in the second half.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
We’ve lost 3 of the last 4 to them. Compare that to 2/4 against UGA. 2 of the Duke losses were by 2-scores. The 1 we won required some JT heroics to come from behind and win a close one. This year’s Duke team is a good team too. They’re always very disciplined which helps them against our offense.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We’ve lost 3 of the last 4 to them. Compare that to 2/4 against UGA. 2 of the Duke losses were by 2-scores. The 1 we won required some JT heroics to come from behind and win a close one. This year’s Duke team is a good team too. They’re always very disciplined which helps them against our offense.

They seem to always play their best game of the year against us, it feels like playing GT is their superbowl

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’ve seen on this board that our offense takes a few weeks to start executing properly and I’m sure Army’s O is the same way. Duke also had a lot of time to prepare for the Army O since they played in Week 1. By playing Duke in Week 1, I believe Army lost a lot of advantages their offensive scheme gives them.

Last year, Duke had a bye week, then they played Army, and then they played us in back-to-back-to-back weeks. Their schedule is nearly as good for them this year, as it relates to playing us. Is this happening randomly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:ROFLMAO::LOL:

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
They seem to always play their best game of the year against us, it feels like playing GT is their superbowl
Like most people in the world, I pay zero attention to Duke unless we’re playing them. I think they’ve played a lot of people well in the past several years. They would have beaten Johnny Manziel’s best Texas A&M team if they weren’t playing against the refs too. Cutcliff has done a great job with that program.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
This game will be interesting. We're going to need to execute hot reads and navigate around guys who are disputing pitch relationships or getting into the backfield who are not supposed to be blocked. If we can get the ball in the right guy's hands without hesitation, we'll be able to break some long ones.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Add marshall at rg and that's it.

Starters were LT Quinney LG Braun C Lee RG Hansen RT Marshall. In the 4th Q we saw LT Ivenmeyer LG (I believe Clark) C Morgan RG B Morgan RT Bryan. In between Bryan played some T and DeFoor was in there somewhere. Cooper played C after the first Q. The backups were effective (tho L was tired by then).