1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Duke prediction thread

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Football' started by CuseJacket, Nov 16, 2017.

?

Margin of Victory

Poll closed Nov 18, 2017.
  1. GT by 14+

57 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. GT by 7-13

50 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. GT by <7

25 vote(s)
    18.5%
  4. Duke by <7

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. Duke by 7-13

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Duke by 14+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. GTJake

GTJake Helluva Engineer

This game makes me nervous, because ...
    Cutcliffe seems to be our boogey-man
    We are favored and I am confident
    Wallace Wade will be empty and an afterthought for the Duke fans, Bball season has started
    Hopefully we aren't looking ahead to UGAG
    Despite all of this ... GT 31 Duke 17

2. deeeznutz

deeeznutz Helluva Engineer

48-13 Tech. We make a statement on Cutcliffe’s corpse and send him off to retirement in disgrace.

CTJacket and GTFLETCH like this.
  3. jacketup

jacketup Helluva Engineer

Should win by more that 14. Special teams and mistakes will reduce the margin to less than 7.

Jacket in Dairyland and GTFLETCH like this.
  4. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

We've won 23 of the last 27 games against Duke.

Last year, we put up 605 yards of offense, but had to come from behind because we fumbled twice deep on our own side of the field (sound familiar?).

In 2015, Duke needed an uncalled offsides to barely hold us off despite the fact we were playing 12 freshmen due to injuries and we again had much more offense than them.

In 2014, Duke ended a 10 year drought to barely hold us off. Even though we smacked them down on offense by over 100 yards, we had 3 turnovers to 0 for Duke (sound familiar?).

The consistent theme here is that we always out play Duke, sometimes significantly. It all comes down to how much we shoot our own selves in the foot.

I'm going to say there is no foot shooting this time.
    TaQuon Marshall gets over 66 yards to break 1,000 on the year.
    KirVonte Benson gets over 70 yards to break 1,000 on the year.
    TaQuon Marshall gets another 2 total touchdowns to get to 26 (!) on the year.

GT: 36
    Duke: 27

We beat the spread for the 12th time out of the last 13.

deeeznutz and a5ehren like this.
  5. Eastman

Eastman Helluva Engineer

GT 41 Duke 17. JJ and LJ get playing time and Coach Cut resigns at halftime and immediately begins seeing a therapist for what he calls “cut block nightmares”

deeeznutz likes this.
  6. iceeater1969

iceeater1969 Helluva Engineer

Agree coach cut needs to go.
    We are bracketing each other.

7. GTNavyNuke

GTNavyNuke Helluva Engineer Featured Member

If we can't beat Fluke, do we deserve to go to a bowl game?

bke1984 likes this.
  8. stech81

stech81 Helluva Engineer

Northwestern thinks so . :)

GTNavyNuke likes this.
  9. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

I really wanna see us play clean games the rest of the year. We have given away more gifts so far than Santa will soon.

10. tmhunter52

tmhunter52 Helluva Engineer

If GT hopes to beat UGA next week, it better step it up tomorrow against Duke.

Jacket in Dairyland likes this.
  11. Jacket in Dairyland

Jacket in Dairyland Helluva Engineer

Nope

12. FightWinDrink

FightWinDrink Helluva Engineer

I take back what I said earlier. I declare you the winner

iceeater1969 likes this.
  13. CuseJacket

CuseJacket Administrator Staff Member

:mad::punch:

14. dressedcheeseside

dressedcheeseside Helluva Engineer

I'm quoting myself in this thread not to gloat, but to hopefully help those who habitually let there hopes and dreams replace their expectations. Don't do it, it only leads to major angst when we fall short... sometimes well short.

The Duke performance is a real head scratcher on the surface. But when you look at how we have performed on the road all season, add that to how Duke has lost squeaker after squeaker... it kinda adds up. Mentally and emotionally, we didn't show up, even with a lot on the line. Young guys tend to get a big head after a big win. Some teams are so loaded with talent, they can get away with that... we cannot. Couple that with facing a team that a) historically is a doormat (not recent past, but overall) and b) seems to be reeling on a losing streak and just lost to Army, it makes perfect sense that we'd come out flat and ill-prepared mentally.

Now I have no doubt our coaching staff was beating the "don't sleep on these guys" drum big time all week. The problem is if the guys don't believe it, they just don't believe it.

Rule #1 in competitive sports: Never, ever underestimate your opponent.

Rule #1 in competitive fanhood: Don't let your hopes and dreams replace your expectations.

*and before you ask, yes, I expected to win. But I expected a hard fought nail biter. We didn't even get that. sigh.