• Duke by 7-13

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Duke by 14+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
26-21 GT. Our offense continues to be not as good as most on this board think it is. Duke will (like VPI&SU) pack it in the box and dare TM to beat them with the pass. A lot depends on whether Marshall can improve his passing...but if he doesn't, I see our offense sputtering (a lot). Our primary hope rests again with our defense....I don't think Duke can score quite enough to beat us.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I like the optimism, but it really explains all the angst that happens after games.

Not sure if people know the difference between prediction and hopes and dreams.

Great point. Note to selves....if we can't predict game outcomes our evaluations of team performance is also suspect as hell, or should be.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This one is for bowl eligibility. What say you?

Poll included.

#GTvsDUKE

I am of two minds about this: On the one hand, I see a Duke team that is reeling from a loss to Army, has no chance at bowl eligibility, and has played poorly for much of the season. They did play well in beating Northwestern and at one time were 4-0 after the UNC game but it was downhill after that. Have they lost 5 in a row? Talk about a tale of two seasons!

On the other hand, I see a Duke team that has traditionally given us fits under Coach Cutliffe, that has nothing to lose, and regards this as their last chance for some sort of redemption. The last time we played there, they beat us by blitzing their best athlete into the gaps. They don't have the players to do this and the results from Virginia Tech using this tactic may give them pause.

Nevertheless, if I am Duke, I will run blitz nearly constantly with linebackers and my best tackling safety and dare Marshall to beat me throwing the football. What is there to lose? That said, the other side of the coin is Duke's offense has not been good this year. I see Tech winning pretty handily in a rather low scoring game. I think they can cause problems for us on offense but I just don't think they can move the ball and eventually the triple option will just wear them out.

Last edited:

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I am of two minds about this: On the one hand, I see a Duke team that is reeling from a loss to Army, has no chance at bowl eligibility, and has played poorly for much of the season. They did play well in beating Northwestern and at one time were 4-0 after the UNC game but it was downhill after that. Have they lost 5 in a row? Talk about a tale of two seasons!

On the other hand, I see a Duke team that has traditionally given us fits under Coach Cutliffe, that has nothing to lose, and regards this as their last chance for some sort of redemption. The last time we played there, they beat us by blitzing their best athlete into the gaps. They don't have the players to do this and the results from Virginia Tech using this tactic may give them pause.

Nevertheless, if I am Duke, I will run blitz nearly constantly with linebackers and my best tackling safety and dare Marshall to beat me throwing the football. What is there to lose? That said, the other side of the coin is Duke's offense has not been good this year. I see Tech winning pretty handily in a rather low scoring game. I think they can cause problems for us on offense but I just don't think they can move the ball and eventually the triple option will just wear them out.
If they beat us and Wake they would go bowling. We shouldn't assume they are done. Maybe like Virginia??

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
If they beat us and Wake they would go bowling. We shouldn't assume they are done. Maybe like Virginia??

Good point. But the chances of this Duke team that lost to Army running the table is remote. I just don't think they are quite as good as they have been in recent years under Coach Cut. That said, Duke should never be underestimated by any Georgia Tech team because history suggests that they can and will ruin a season especially at the Wallace Wade Memorial Mausoleum.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Yep. Probably a good time to point out that the Duke team that can’t win throttled #23 Northwestern.
1) NW shouldn't be #23. That ranking is a joke.
2) That game was 2 months ago, and Duke has been one of the worst teams in the country since they beat very bad Baylor and UNC teams.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Duke has a respectable D but they have STRUGGLED to score points during their 6 game losing streak. I'm hopeful that the VT game has given our boys a morale boost and we come out with the idea of taking care of bizness.

34-17...Jackets score late to put any doubt away.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
33-15 I feel like our team has a lot of heart this year and will play hard for the chance to go to a bowl, and knowing a win this weekend and next weekend gets us into a better bowl they come out firing.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
1) NW shouldn't be #23. That ranking is a joke.
2) That game was 2 months ago, and Duke has been one of the worst teams in the country since they beat very bad Baylor and UNC teams.
They’ve been horribly unlucky. It takes a lot of bad luck to lose four straight one score games. Dismiss them at your peril.