Duke Postgame

alerera

Georgia Tech Fan
Many wins are not pretty, hard fought, and close: like this one. Defense often looked lost or sleepwalking. But, I'm enjoying the W.

Jmonty71

Banned
Do you blame him. We averaged 10 yards per play on offense and people want to blame CPJ. Our D is pathetic. We gave up damn near 600 yards and 35 points. We couldn't even get lined up twice on the goal line and had to burn timeouts. Roof is getting paid $750,000 + a year. He is terrible, his scheme doesn't work with our players, and we are bottom 10 in the country on 3rd down defense. He needs to go.
100% agree!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Many wins are not pretty, hard fought, and close: like this one. Defense often looked lost or sleepwalking. But, I'm enjoying the W.

Right. If you're Clemson, you're going to have games like nc state. But, we have a pattern of bad D not a game.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad we won.

JT was in beast mode today.

How anyone can defend Roof at this point is beyond me. I'm sure Jerry will be along to tell us how fortunate we are to have ol Ted as our DC.

Duke scored 28 points in the second half. 21 of those were points after turnovers. 2 turnovers that were the fault of the OL and one ST.

Where is all this NFL talent that you people believe Roof is holding back?

We are not a talented football team. If you people would quit watching the ball and start watching the line of scrimmage you'd figure out what's wrong with team.

Les is not in football. When you have the luck we have you are going to make sure that there is no way Duke can get the ball

Which would have been accomplished by taking a knee. When you have the injury and fumble luck we have, the last thing you need to do is introduce the possibility of both on a play that only required a snap and a knee.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Duke scored 28 points in the second half. 21 of those were points after turnovers. 2 turnovers that were the fault of the OL and one ST.

Where is all this NFL talent that you people believe Roof is holding back?

We are not a talented football team. If you people would quit watching the ball and start watching the line of scrimmage you'd figure out what's wrong with team.

I just knew you would provide the sunshine and rainbows that we are sorely missing

We were up 28-7 and forced an INT. It wasn't a shootout until Duke got two easy scores off of turnovers.
People want to blame the head coach because our defense has sucked his entire time here? You don't say.

The offense completely, totally shat the bed the entire 3rd qtr and let the opponent back into the game, thanks to turnovers.

Yet somehow they played magnificently, thanks to a bunch of backyard, broken-play scrambles by our QB.

edit: They played a GREAT 1st half but let Puke back into it in the 2nd.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I was stunned we took a time out immediately coming out at the start of the 4th qtr. And it's clear we don't actually have a "Take a Knee Victory" formation either, but rather run our starting QB around, hoping he avoids injury and TOs. Just mind-bogglingly-stupid.

We won because of JT and in spite of CPJ.
We couldn't just take a knee, we needed to run plays to actually run time off the clock. You take a knee and the play is over in 1 second you run a play it could be 7 seconds, but we could have taken one after the first play lol. And we do have a knee formation and we have done it before.

18in32

Georgia Tech Fan
Les Miles and CPJ are the 2 worst game-clock coaches in all of football.
Strongly disagree. CPJ is one of the better clock managers, IMHO. I hated to see JT's numbers take a hit on those backwards scrambles, but they were the best way to eat time off the clock. I often wonder why we don't do that more – or do it even more extremely: JT could scramble out there for 10 seconds, then toss it downfield in the craziness.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The offense completely, totally shat the bed the entire 3rd qtr and let the opponent back into the game, thanks to turnovers.

Yet somehow they played magnificently, thanks to a bunch of backyard, broken-play scrambles by our QB.

So, I just went and checked. The offense had 2 drives in the 3rd quarter. 1 was a fumble, the 2nd resulted in a field goal.

I mean, it's not the greatest thing ever, but it's also not messing the bed completely.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It was pretty obvious today why Dedrick is the starter. I didn't expect such a drop off in inside running.

We are no better at running the TO this year, but we are a good passing team these days The protection is at least pretty good, JT is throwing the ball on the money, and we are using multiple receivers. I'm sure having the A backs get lost by the defense must be driving some defensive coaches crazy But kinda like us and the tight end, it's hard to figure out a way to fix it.

We got big plays out of things which have been going against us lately. One, in short yardage when the back got through the line and there was no one playing deep enough to make the tackle. The other happened several times -- they covered the receivers but the quarterback saw a big hole and pulled it down and ran it for big plays.

Terrell Lewis looked pretty good. Still like to get PJ back.

What is wrong with our counter play? It has stunk all year. But it would seem like a good call. Even on the rare occasions when there is a little hole, it closes before the back gets there.

Y'all can debate what Roof should be doing differently. I just don't see much talent on defense. We have a whole defense of pretty good players, but very few above that level. Not a single lineman is exceptional.

For the umpteenth time, I underestimated Duke. They are extremely well coached, but that isn't all they have. I see how they beat Notre Dame and scared the heck out of Louisville. They have a good team on both sides of the ball. If they had a big time deep threat receiver, they would really be dangerous.

Strongly disagree. CPJ is one of the better clock managers, IMHO. I hated to see JT's numbers take a hit on those backwards scrambles, but they were the best way to eat time off the clock. I often wonder why we don't do that more – or do it even more extremely: JT could scramble out there for 10 seconds, then toss it downfield in the craziness.

CPJ is one of the worst clock managers IMHO. It's terribly stupid to put your starting QB running around risking injury or TO when a couple of knees will do. With 0:42 seconds left (and a 0:40 second game clock), actually running a Dive play there was one of the stupidest play calls I've ever seen. A simple knee takes at least 10 seconds off the clock by the time the ref gets the ball and spots it. But no - CPJ decides to run a play that could have caused a fumble and given the ball back to Puke. Just unreal.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
We were up 28-7 and forced an INT. It wasn't a shootout until Duke got two easy scores off of turnovers.

DUKE O:
8.5 yards per pass attempt today v. season average of 6.6
6.9 yards per rush attempt today v. season average of 3.6

I am optimistic about the rest of the season and thrilled to be 1-0 this weekend.
But don't twist it, our D did not play well.

So, I just went and checked. The offense had 2 drives in the 3rd quarter. 1 was a fumble, the 2nd resulted in a field goal.

I mean, it's not the greatest thing ever, but it's also not messing the bed completely.

You're right - 1 of the fumbles was Special Teams. Still, the 1-play Fumble totally let Duke back into it. It's like the Miami game: The O hands the Canes 14 pts but the D still gets all the blame. Just bizarre.

DUKE O:
8.5 yards per pass attempt today v. season average of 6.6
6.9 yards per rush attempt today v. season average of 3.6

I am optimistic about the rest of the season and thrilled to be 1-0 this weekend.
But don't twist it, our D did not play well.

Let's be fair here: Huge chunks of those yards were from completely broken, backyard-type QB scrambles on pass plays, not designed run plays. Thankfully, JT is awesome and Puke stinks but let's not pretend our OL just dominated Duke's OL and that those Rushing stats were proof.