Duke post game

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Can we talk about how we actually have had a kicker on the roster with the ability to kick touchbacks, and he doesn’t get to try one until there’s 6 quarters left in the season?

Literally mind blowing, it’s not like Barton suddenly got a strong leg. He went 2/2 on kickoff touchbacks today. So odd and just seems like we aren’t optimizing the talent on our roster. Same thing with KO returns, the guys back there today looked so much more comfortable and less hesitant than Cottrell. Why now?
Exactly. Barton was good on KOs. He needs to be in there.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
A friend made the observation that, in his opinion, this team has all the earmarks of one that has something (God only knows what) going on behind the scene that could be having an effect on team morale and lack of leadership that is so evident. Unlike most on this board, I am becoming convinced that what we have is not wholly a coaching problem as much as it is a player problem with some folks need to be told to shape up or ship out. The sooner the better.

Several years ago, I got a chance to talk to PJ before the season and this was maybe in 2010 or 11. He alluded that previous team having some chemistry issues and he kinda saw it early on that season. He didn't go into specifics about what it was or how it manifested itself but it was clear from talking to him that it affected that team and that season.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
A friend made the observation that, in his opinion, this team has all the earmarks of one that has something (God only knows what) going on behind the scene that could be having an effect on team morale and lack of leadership that is so evident. Unlike most on this board, I am becoming convinced that what we have is not wholly a coaching problem as much as it is a player problem with some folks need to be told to shape up or ship out. The sooner the better.
Totally could be true, not disputing that one bit. It just seems weird that the team was pumped against VT, only to come out totally flat and uninspired against Duke.

Totally could be true, not disputing that one bit. It just seems weird that the team was pumped against VT, only to come out totally flat and uninspired against Duke.
This is how Tech football has been since the Curry era. We have consistently lost big games due to a lack of intensity or focus. I am not sure what causes it, but it is in our football program's DNA. How many times has a tech fan said I hope we are not ranked because we will..........you know the rest of the story. We just don't handle praise or success very well for the most part.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Yes, which is why I am a little bit skeptical but who knows what the real story is?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yes, which is why I am a little bit skeptical but who knows what the real story is?

This is a bit of excuse making but.....

Puke had 3 weeks....3....to prep for us. That was primarily done to prep for our O but certainly didn't hurt prepping for our D any. Could be Army hurt them for game prepping us and our personnel rather than Army for their game. Pure conjecture there I admit but the prep time seems obvious to me.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I have no doubt they were well prepared. If you put people on their backside it doesn't matter how well prepared they are. We were not focused, and certainly not ready to play ball. We got whipped up front on both sides of the ball. That's all there is to it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We have had problems with Dook for last several years. They run an O that eats up our D. Short quick passes that we allow for short 5 yard gains. Quick release so our DL can't get off blocks to get pressure. Mix in a QB that can run the read option and we have problems. Dook also recruits just as well as we do and maybe better linemen overall. They also use the TE effectively against us. We don't seem to remember that position exists on a football team. We would have lost to them last year if JT hadn't made a spectacular run out of the end one to save us. So Dook has pretty much figured us out as well as anyone we play with athletes that by ranking are like us.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This is a bit of excuse making but.....

Puke had 3 weeks....3....to prep for us. That was primarily done to prep for our O but certainly didn't hurt prepping for our D any. Could be Army hurt them for game prepping us and our personnel rather than Army for their game. Pure conjecture there I admit but the prep time seems obvious to me.
3 weeks doesn't explain the effort in the second half.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We were allowing short possession passes but they were running through first contact. We did not tackle well at all. AJ was making a lot of solo tackles. He played a good game but not good when your safety is making tackles on running plays. They owned the 3rd quarter. It looked like we gave up in the 4th quarter. Their 3rd string QB would have made a highlight reel.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I get the feeling that duke gives a lot more attention and priority to getting ready for GT than we do for them, we are focused on VT, UM, Clem, and ugag, meanwhile they know they are getting beat by those teams so they make us a #1 priority

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Getting outscored 40-6 by a team that had lost the previous six games is the worst exhibition of football I have ever seen by a Tech team. The only thing close is getting outscored 63-0 by Notre Dame in 1977, but at least that was a good Notre Dame team with Joe Montana at QB.
And yes, it's worse than losing to a good Georgie team 51-7. Again, Duke had lost six in a row! They lost to Army!
Just amazingly bad, completely embarrassing, and totally unacceptable.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We have had problems with Dook for last several years. They run an O that eats up our D. Short quick passes that we allow for short 5 yard gains. Quick release so our DL can't get off blocks to get pressure. Mix in a QB that can run the read option and we have problems. Dook also recruits just as well as we do and maybe better linemen overall. They also use the TE effectively against us. We don't seem to remember that position exists on a football team. We would have lost to them last year if JT hadn't made a spectacular run out of the end one to save us. So Dook has pretty much figured us out as well as anyone we play with athletes that by ranking are like us.
Does make you wonder why more teams don't do this when they play us. I guess they just have a hard headed offensive coordinator :):):) kind of funny how many coaches are hard headed.

I get the feeling that duke gives a lot more attention and priority to getting ready for GT than we do for them, we are focused on VT, UM, Clem, and ugag, meanwhile they know they are getting beat by those teams so they make us a #1 priority

I disagree. Clemson is everyone's Super Bowl this year and Puke actually hung with Miami for about 3.5 qtrs. They get up for UNC more than they do us.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Agree Duke vs UNC is hate same as Tech vs uga
It’s more because unlike our rivalry, both UNC and Duke hate each other more than UGA does GT. We aren’t on UGA’s radar until Hate Week, and/or only if we beat them. UNC and Duke, and honestly UNC and State, have a lot more mutual hatred than Tech/UGA.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
UNC and Duke hate each other because of basketball. NCSU hates UNC so much its like an obsession. Duke feels superior academically and NCSU feels like the get no respect in athletics or academics.