Duke post game

slugboy

Staff member
What was the call on the fake punt? It sounded like he said you can’t have pass interference on a fake punt but that can’t be correct can it?
Don't know if it was answered, but you can't have DEFENSIVE pass interference, because you have to be able to block the gunner to protect the punt returner. You can have OFFENSIVE pass interference.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That was God awful in the second half. Just total domination. Just have to flush it and focus on next Saturday. We still have a puncher's chance.

Go Jackets!
Actually I think the team needs their noses rubbed in it all week. We got beat by UT, UVA and Miami because they made plays when they had to, not because of poor effort. This one was different. Enough of this it will be ok next week Johnny. Coach needs to drive some fear into the workplace like should have happened at half time. I’d rather see a “bad practicing back up” out there busting his hump instead of an entitled starter knowing he’ll never get benched. Give me the hungry guy on Saturday, please.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Actually I think the team needs their noses rubbed in it all week. We got beat by UT, UVA and Miami because they made plays when they had to, not because of poor effort. This one was different. Enough of this it will be ok next week Johnny. Coach needs to drive some fear into the workplace like should have happened at half time. I’d rather see a “bad practicing back up” out there busting his hump instead of an entitled starter knowing he’ll never get benched. Give me the hungry guy on Saturday, please.
I'm not against benching every starter for a series or 2 next week. It was that bad.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line is that was flat out embarasssing. No excuses. No one played well. No one coached well. Very few times in my fandom that I’ve ever felt this way, but they might has well not even have made the trip.

Players didn’t show a lot of effort and coaches made zero adjustments at half time. Pretty sad to see when we need a W to get bowl eligible.

I can gripe about a lot of stuff that is unreasonable at times, but I feel like all of our fans, alumni, and former players deserve better than what was displayed today. Hopefully no one has to live through that again.

A friend made the observation that, in his opinion, this team has all the earmarks of one that has something (God only knows what) going on behind the scene that could be having an effect on team morale and lack of leadership that is so evident. Unlike most on this board, I am becoming convinced that what we have is not wholly a coaching problem as much as it is a player problem with some folks need to be told to shape up or ship out. The sooner the better.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
A friend made the observation that, in his opinion, this team has all the earmarks of one that has something (God only knows what) going on behind the scene that could be having an effect on team morale and lack of leadership that is so evident. Unlike most on this board, I am becoming convinced that what we have is not wholly a coaching problem as much as it is a player problem with some folks need to be told to shape up or ship out. The sooner the better.
I've had the same thought. Eerily similar to 2013 in some ways.

If it's a player problem behind the scenes and a fan recognizes it, it's a colossal problem behind the scenes that the coaches don't.

Coach does seem to have lost the team though. Which is another coaching problem.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Who do y'all think will win the Duke-Wake Forest game? I think Duke comes away with a 31-28 win over Wake Forest and winds up playing in the Pinstripe Bowl against Indiana

I disagree. Wake is going to punish them. They are not that good and Wake is a pretty good team. They (Duke) will come down off that high and Wake will be ready for them and let them have tobacco road style.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In general Holding is legal if the linemen is standing up.

Our players are not getting past the blocker. When our smallish Dt 285l# and very small d end 240# rush directly into the giant o l 330#, the o l men grab them inside the pads and pull them into their body. Until our d folks get some separation and are making a play, it is not holding. Then its got to be flagrant. When we stunt or slant, our quicker d l guys have a slightly better chance for call.
What I hate seeing is our dl getting grocery carted back 2 yards and then trying to grab the rb when he goes by. Add the lb on the srong side and its pretty sad. Since we have done slant or a very brief chuck before rolling into the hole, we have had some very successful stops for no gain .

Our o l is doing more holding as well.
Until our dl guys bulk up it is what it is .

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
If it's a player problem behind the scenes and a fan recognizes it, it's a colossal problem behind the scenes that the coaches don't.

Coach does seem to have lost the team though. Which is another coaching problem.

I would not say that he "recognizes it as a player problem" so much as being intuitive that this is what a team looks like that has not got its mind "rite" as they say at the U. Nobody really knows but the players and they are not talking, thank goodness.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
In general Holding is legal if the linemen is standing up.

Our players are not getting past the blocker. When our smallish Dt 285l# and very small d end 240# rush directly into the giant o l 330#, the o l men grab them inside the pads and pull them into their body. Until our d folks get some separation and are making a play, it is not holding. Then its got to be flagrant. When we stunt or slant, our quicker d l guys have a slightly better chance for call.
What I hate seeing is our dl getting grocery carted back 2 yards and then trying to grab the rb when he goes by. Add the lb on the srong side and its pretty sad. Since we have done slant or a very brief chuck before rolling into the hole, we have had some very successful stops for no gain .

Our o l is doing more holding as well.
Until our dl guys bulk up it is what it is .
You are correct with OL pulling guys in and holding inside, but I have seen guys just plain tackled, pulled down by their shoulder pads, and pushed in the back with no calls.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

You think he lost the team this week specifically? Or were there signs last week vs. VT?

This opinion seems speculative at best and confirmation bias at worst, imo.