Duke Game Thread

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
If this wasn't so depressing, it would probably be hilarious.

I have to think our lack of execution at the end of games has to be Gregory's fault, but if it isn't, then man I feel bad for him. Atleast we know going into every game that we'll see a good basketball game

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We can never seem to get 40 minutes of good basketball. Too bad, because these kids are pretty good in parts of every game (save UVA). We are 1-9 and could be 8-2 without too many things changing.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
IF! If the #1 high school senior in Georgia last season had given GT the season one would expect from the state's number 1 senior player, we would not be talking about Gregory and his prospects for coaching next year. But, he did not, and we are. My observation. I have no answers.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Regarding ticket availability:
Couple of people I know got in for $85/person. Looked like it was a sellout with online tickets going for just over $100 today. Coach 1K celebration all game + postgame likely kept ticket prices from sagging more.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
With no home cooking we win that game. I just wish once the announcers would say the refs got it wrong against Duke. The Sampson play in the 1st half where he never was even close to stepping out of bounds and he bounced it off a Duke player, even during the replay the announcers acted like it was clear the refs got it right. The 3 pointer during the first half when we were up, anyone DVR that??? Not out of his hands before 0. The MGH horrible pass at the end of the game, the Duke player hops several times with clear possession before passing it and no traveling called... Lots of BS fouls and Okafor can pretty much walk with the ball and push whoever he wants out of the way. Cox was amazing on him BTW. UGH this team is so close to being great but they can't even be just good, killer..

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
With no home cooking we win that game. I just wish once the announcers would say the refs got it wrong against Duke. The Sampson play in the 1st half where he never was even close to stepping out of bounds and he bounced it off a Duke player, even during the replay the announcers acted like it was clear the refs got it right. The 3 pointer during the first half when we were up, anyone DVR that??? Not out of his hands before 0. The MGH horrible pass at the end of the game, the Duke player hops several times with clear possession before passing it and no traveling called... Lots of BS fouls and Okafor can pretty much walk with the ball and push whoever he wants out of the way. Cox was amazing on him BTW. UGH this team is so close to being great but they can't even be just good, killer..

Refs were definitely bad tonight (although I think that play where Sampson threw it off the Duke player, they were saying it hit out of bounds, not the Duke player, someone can correct me if I'm wrong), but I don't think they were as bad as NCSU where I left thinking the refs single handedly cost us that game

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
My 2 cents - in total tonight's refs were more biased than our game vs. NC State. We had a couple calls go our way, but it was an uphill battle in Cameron.

That said, no call tonight was as terrible or as untimely as the "charge" vs. State.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Refs miss calls. There is no argument about that. But you cannot convince me refs are biased toward, or against, one team over another. I refereed high school games after I graduated from UAB and met a ton of game officials. Their overriding concerns were knowing the rules, following the action of the floor, and making calls crisply and confidently. The play happens so fast there is virtually no time to make judgments about which team is getting calls in their favor. None. Our secondary concern was walking out of the gym and not one of the fans really wanting to say something to us. Oh, and wanting the coaches to greet us in a friendly manner when we return to their school for another game. Conflict about who is officiating is the last thing a referee wants.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Refs miss calls. There is no argument about that. But you cannot convince me refs are biased toward, or against, one team over another. I refereed high school games after I graduated from UAB and met a ton of game officials. Their overriding concerns were knowing the rules, following the action of the floor, and making calls crisply and confidently. The play happens so fast there is virtually no time to make judgments about which team is getting calls in their favor. None. Our secondary concern was walking out of the gym and not one of the fans really wanting to say something to us. Oh, and wanting the coaches to greet us in a friendly manner when we return to their school for another game. Conflict about who is officiating is the last thing a referee wants.

OK, let me preface this by saying that I do not believe the refs lost us the game. We cut it to 1 five times and couldn't get over the hump...a couple of times it was just chucking the ball towards the backboard, but...

In general, I agree that refs are not biased...but not when you play at Duke. It doesn't have to do with real-time judgement of giving one team calls and not giving the other team calls...it just has to do with the way games are called when Duke plays vs. the way games are called when other teams play. Early in the game Marcus jumped near the basket and a guy collided with him hard in mid air to make him miss the shot, no foul called.

And then there's that press that they do on high ball screens to push your PG out to half court. They are the only team in the country that plays defense that aggressive, and have been for years. If we tried to play that style we'd foul three guys out...everyone would. But no Duke, because for some reason the fouls just don't get called. Rewatch some of the games over the years...you could probably call a foul on their guards on every other possession when they're in that aggressive defense, but for some reason the calls aren't made.

So, do the refs consciously go out and say, "I'm going to give Duke the calls tonight and not Tech." No, that'd be pretty difficult. However, they do go out with the mentality that they're going to call certain types of fouls and not other types of fouls.