Duke Game Thread

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yup. Gus Johnson is obviously the best. I like Mike Patrick and Brad Nesser too. Im also probably the only person that also likes Shulman, which is ok bc im the only person that like Dakich as CC too lol.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I solve this problem by muting the sound. I think I know as much about basketball as these guys, and I do not have them distracting me from seeing what I want to watch. Plus, without the sound my wife will stay in the den to read while I watch the game. That's a win-win for me.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I bet that GT covers the point spread (+16.5). Duke will be sleepy in this spot. Off the big win against UVA and ND revenge on deck.

We'll hang around in the first half and then let Duke storm back in the second to win going away.

Different year / different team, this would be a prime upset spot for the Dookies!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yup. Gus Johnson is obviously the best. I like Mike Patrick and Brad Nesser too. Im also probably the only person that also likes Shulman, which is ok bc im the only person that like Dakich as CC too lol.

I'm on an island regarding Gus Johnson. I absolutely hate that guy. He's such a fake. I heard him calling a regular season CUSA football game. It was 2 sub-.500 teams and they were tied like 13-all in the 3rd quarter. You would've thought it was the winning drive of the last Super Bowl to end all Super Bowls the way he was calling the game. "He hands it off UP THE MIDDLE, OOOOOHHHHHH MY GOOOOOD, it's a gain of 2YARDS!!!! This kid is a MONSTER!!!! DID YOU SEEEEE THAT!!!! 2nd down. You just don't see acceleration like THAT!!! MOVE OVER S-E-C!!!!!"

Dude, just call the freakin' game and stop trying to make it about you. Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

Oh....and Jimmy Dykes drives. Me. Crazy.

I'm with you there. Another who tries to make the broadcast about him and his Kentucky connections every game.

I was in Arkansas for work and saw him in the airport there. Probably my favorite airport for some odd reason.

Cool story bro.

I always kinda like Jimmy.. He is no longer doing games..

He is the coach of the Lady Razorbacks of Arkansas..

Hey, he was probably there to interview. I should've started a rumor at that time. Could've called myself an 'insider'.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
For what it's worth I have a friend in Duke grad school who said Duke's dirty little secret is that not all games at Cameron sell out. We'll see if that's the case tomorrow. Perhaps I misunderstood too and he was just referring to the grad student section.
I have a hard time believing that. I had to spend $200 a ticket to see them play UAB a few years ago. The place is so tiny it's hard not to sell it out.

Anyways, hope we pull off some kind of miracle so I don't have to listen to my wife talk about us sucking anymore.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'm on an island regarding Gus Johnson. I absolutely hate that guy. He's such a fake. I heard him calling a regular season CUSA football game. It was 2 sub-.500 teams and they were tied like 13-all in the 3rd quarter. You would've thought it was the winning drive of the last Super Bowl to end all Super Bowls the way he was calling the game. "He hands it off UP THE MIDDLE, OOOOOHHHHHH MY GOOOOOD, it's a gain of 2YARDS!!!! This kid is a MONSTER!!!! DID YOU SEEEEE THAT!!!! 2nd down. You just don't see acceleration like THAT!!! MOVE OVER S-E-C!!!!!"

Dude, just call the freakin' game and stop trying to make it about you. Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

I'm with you there. Another who tries to make the broadcast about him and his Kentucky connections every game.

I was in Arkansas for work and saw him in the airport there. Probably my favorite airport for some odd reason.

Cool story bro.

Hey, he was probably there to interview. I should've started a rumor at that time. Could've called myself an 'insider'.
That's why I love Gus Johnson! He can make a terrible boring game that doesn't matter at all exciting.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
That's why I love Gus Johnson! He can make a terrible boring game that doesn't matter at all exciting.

Me too, its similar to when you get Tim Kurkjian going about baseball history, his voice squeaks and starts rambling. THe guy just gets geeked up for sports. I wish I still did. I mean i was in a bourbon fueled utopia-like state on sunday night at about 9:58 pm but other than that it hasnt happened in a while.

And now my back up favorite just lost Briante Weber forever. Dumb

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Oh gosh no. I definitely hear you, but IMHO the truly great ones can do that without being so clearly fake with the contrived enthusiasm.

I heard another game with Gus in the booth that came down to a last second shot. Some random regular season game of course. The team that eventually lost got like 6 cracks at it. He just kept trying to set up the last call and by the third rebound it was just silly.

"AND HE'S SENDING US ALLLLL HOME EARRRRRLL --" miss
"AND THE LIGHTS GOOOO OUTTTT TONIIIIIIITEEE!!! --" miss
"AND HE FINALLLYYY DOEEEEES I --" miss
-- buzzer sounds.

If he was genuine, like he appeared to be before the "Legend of Gus Johnson" started, I'd agree with you. The shark has clearly been jumped there. Again, JMHO.