Driven

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Oh did we have a blast in Orlando. And not just because somebody was setting off firecrackers in our hotel room at 3 in the morning, either. We ran into John Dewberry at some bar and had a few cold ones with him. He had some good stories.
So you were the guys that kept us awake all night. :)

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing I think is important to note about TECH is the stepping stone effect it has gone through......Dodd... Tech was on the National stage albiet it was waning in his later years..... we go though Carson and Fuller, Rogers in the 70s... up and down years, Curry gets us heading in the right direction wins over the dogs and program on the rise and he Bolts for bama>>>>enter Ross wins a NC and has three straight winning records program on the rise recruiting going well and he bolts for Chargers........Lewis well ok ....OLeary gets the program on solid footing and heads off to ND sorta... CCG years are like the 70s up and down....now here is CPJ... program gaining steam...the next two years are huge because he is not going anywhere as long as JT is here but after that we need to double down if he is successful.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Gonna play the comparison game.
-Marco Coleman: an elite pass rusher. Freeman may be before he's done but he's not elite yet.
-LB: probably the weakness of both Ds, but I'll give the edge again to 90 bc of Calvin Tiggle who was very good.
-secondary: '90 guys proved themselves, the current crop could be just as good imo.
-DT: edge goes to '90 again. Coleman Rudolph absolutely balled for us. Kevin Battle was a tank. This year's group could prove just as good but will have to play close to their ceiling.

Hell, I don't need this year's D to be as good as the 90 D. We just need to be better than last year.
I actually thought the secondary in '90 was the weak link on the defense. They were terrific against the run but seemed slow all season to me against the pass. I actually think this year's secondary is much better.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One thing I've often thought is Shawn Jones doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Everybody is quick to talk about Lil' Joe & Goose (& deservedly so) but Shawn was really good too! Fast, athletic, strong arm & threw well on the run.
Still my all time favorite quarterback. Until last year, with JT, I have not felt such confidence with the guy under center.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Enjoyable show except--unless I heard the comment incorrectly--the comment about VT being a conference game.

I remember that game being freezing cold and very windy. No one could score.

Bennett

Jolly Good Fellow
Enjoyable show except--unless I heard the comment incorrectly--the comment about VT being a conference game.

I remember that game being freezing cold and very windy. No one could score.

I said the exact same thing last night. VT was not a conference game. They were still in the metro conference at the time and then bolted to the Big East in 1991

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
If you're watching the Alcorn St. Game at home then you can start watching early at 6pm and watch Driven. Then ACC kickoff then the Tech game.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I actually thought the secondary in '90 was the weak link on the defense. They were terrific against the run but seemed slow all season to me against the pass. I actually think this year's secondary is much better.
This. Ken Swilling got so much love from the press, but his strength was coming forward and hammering people. He WAS huge for a safety, but he had his limitations. If he had to turn his hips and burn, he was lost in coverage.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I agree KS outgrew his position. I think the muscle he added from soph to sr seasons hurt his flexibility. Wasn't quite as good in coverage as his Jr season. Was he also dinged up a bit sr year? Seems like he might have been.

Willy big play Clay and the other corner (name escapes me at moment) were a very good CB combo. Our SS (Marcus Coleman?) was good too, at lead from my recollection.

But I won't argue. This year's secondary might be better as a unit. Time + natty memories may make my recollection a bit inflated.