DR. CPJ, or how i learned to embrace the CPJ hate

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a rant, but I'm going to stick to it. I am now against CPJ(and Roof) after many years of support.

Let me explain:

Tonight's game proved that CPJ has no idea how to win a game.

Point 1: Why pass the ball?
The run was not ineffective, yet CPJ started passing, which led to TDs, but also the D being back on the field almost instantaneously. This meant we were playing shootout with an over-matched Defense. UNC's D wasn't good, but it was better than ours. We lost, because that is not a game we can win against UNC or MIAMI or UVA. I don't know why that was the idea. We need to eat clock and make their possessions count, which puts an inherent pressure on their O. We didn't do that. On top of that, the missed passes put WAY too much pressure on our run game when it had to clean up, which lead to punts.

Point 2: The last 5 minutes of the game
When you have the ball against a tired defense, you tell the team: "we are going to score with less than a minute left". "You get the get the first down and you go down", "I don't care if you have the TD". We easily had the ability to score leaving very little time on the clock. Smelter should have been told not to go for the TD, just the first down. You score with 30 secs and we win the game. Why wasn't that the plan?

Next, let's talk about why Roof needs to be fired. After the Smelter TD run, the D should have brought 7 every single PLAY. Either get the stop or turnover or let them score and get the ball back. Hell, just let them run. We want the ball with 2 mins.

I have no idea why CPJ thought it was a good idea to try and stop UNC with 3 mins. It would never have worked with the way that game was going. A much higher win percentage would be to try and score with as little time as possible.

This GAME WAS WIN-ABLE. The O played well, the D did their best. In the 4Q, it was clear, either try to force a stop/TO by bringing 7 and deal with letting them score quickly(if it goes wrong), and make it so you have the ball with ~5 mins left for a game winning death march. By that point, their D was as porous as ours. I have no idea why this wasn't the strategy at the end. I also have no idea why we game up on the miami game plan. That is the way you win with the team we have, end of story.

I no longer support Paul, as he clearly isn't the mind I thought he was, and I don't support Roof, because bringing 7 was the only way you were going to get a stop, they would score anyway. Neither of them realized that, and the fact that they didn't means they aren't fit to coach. End of story.

I love our guys, but if these 2 are calling the shots, I do not think we will win another game. I'm not joking. I don't think we will. We might(20%) beat PITT or UVA with some lucky bounces, but i don't think it's likely. We *might(5%)* have a chance against Clemson if Watson isn't playing, but I think he will. We will lose to UGA barring some injury catastrophe, regardless of Gurley.

This is tough medicine, but I think it's the truth. CPJ and Roof just don't know how to use this team's strengths. That makes them unfit to be HC or coordinator.

It's sad, because I think we could have gone 10-2 easily with good game management. We've proven we don't have that, at all.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
So if Smelter steps out at the 1 yard line then Tech screws the pooch on 4 str8 downs how would that play out. Score kick it deep. GET A FREAKIN STOP!

No, smelt stops after the first down. I need the field to eat clock. We weren't going to get a stop unless we brought 7 every play. Roof wasn't going to do that.

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, Smelter scored with too much time left on the clock. But, you can't tell a player "don't score." What happens if he falls down on purpose and then we turn the ball over on the next play??

It's just sad that the D let us down in a huge way tonight. I hope we can bounce back.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I felt the same way when Dwyer scored that last TD in the ACCCG in 2009. Too much time left. It worked out that time. Not tonight. I don't really share the sentiments of Frenchise, except maybe more pressure would have been good to try. I agree the game was winnable, but it is hard for me to complain about the offense. When you are down in a game in H2, scoring quickly is not always a bad thing. I thought the mix of run and pass tonight was brilliant by GT. We gutted them like a fish.

It is a pretty big leap to make, saying 10-2 was a probability, but now we won't win again? The loss hurts. I get it.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, Smelter scored with too much time left on the clock. But, you can't tell a player "don't score." What happens if he falls down on purpose and then we turn the ball over on the next play??

It's just sad that the D let us down in a huge way tonight. I hope we can bounce back.

Then we lose, just like we did tonight. I'd rather take the small chance of a TO from our offense than the huge chance that UNC scores at the end there.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I felt the same way when Dwyer scored that last TD in the ACCCG in 2009. Too much time left. It worked out that time. Not tonight. I don't really share the sentiments of Frenchise, except maybe more pressure would have been good to try. I agree the game was winnable, but it is hard for me to complain about the offense. When you are down in a game in H2, scoring quickly is not always a bad thing. I thought the mix of run and pass tonight was brilliant by GT. We gutted them like a fish.

It is a pretty big leap to make, saying 10-2 was a probability, but now we won't win again? The loss hurts. I get it.

Brilliant? Effective certainly, but brilliant? Why would you ever want our D back on the field every 4 minutes?

As for 10-2, I still think we are that team. But with these in-game decisions, I don't think we win another.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
This is a rant, but I'm going to stick to it. I am now against CPJ(and Roof) after many years of support.

Let me explain:

The run was not ineffective, yet CPJ started passing, which led to TDs, but also the D being back on the field almost instantaneously. This meant we were playing shootout with an over-matched Defense. UNC's D wasn't good, but it was better than ours. We lost, because that is not a game we can win against UNC or MIAMI or UVA. I don't know why that was the idea. We need to eat clock and make their possessions count, which puts an inherent pressure on their O. We didn't do that. On top of that, the missed passes put WAY too much pressure on our run game when it had to clean up, which lead to punts.

When you have the ball against a tired defense, you tell the team: "we are going to score with less than a minute left". "You get the get the first down and you go down", "I don't care if you have the TD". We easily had the ability to score leaving very little time on the clock. Smelter should have been told not to go for the TD, just the first down. You score with 30 secs and we win the game. Why wasn't that the plan?

Next, let's talk about why Roof needs to be fired. After the Smelter TD run, the D should have brought 7 every single PLAY. Either get the stop or turnover or let them score and get the ball back. Hell, just let them run. We want the ball with 2 mins.

I have no idea why CPJ thought it was a good idea to try and stop UNC with 3 mins. It would never have worked with the way that game was going. A much higher win percentage would be to try and score with as little time as possible.

This GAME WAS WIN-ABLE. The O played well, the D did their best. In the 4Q, it was clear, either try to force a stop/TO by bringing 7 and deal with letting them score quickly(if it goes wrong), and make it so you have the ball with ~5 mins left for a game winning death march. By that point, their D was as porous as ours. I have no idea why this wasn't the strategy at the end. I also have no idea why we game up on the miami game plan. That is the way you win with the team we have, end of story.

I no longer support Paul, as he clearly isn't the mind I thought he was, and I don't support Roof, because bringing 7 was the only way you were going to get a stop, they would score anyway. Neither of them realized that, and the fact that they didn't means they aren't fit to coach. End of story.

I love our guys, but if these 2 are calling the shots, I do not think we will win another game. I'm not joking. I don't think we will. We might(20%) beat PITT or UVA with some lucky bounces, but i don't think it's likely. We *might(5%)* have a chance against Clemson if Watson isn't playing, but I think he will. We will lose to UGA barring some injury catastrophe, regardless of Gurley.

This is tough medicine, but I think it's the truth. CPJ and Roof just don't know how to use this team's strengths. That makes them unfit to be HC or coordinator.

It's sad, because I think we could have gone 10-2 easily with good game management. We've proven we don't have that, at all.

You're mad. We get it. Stop crying for attention. Go to bed.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
3 minutes left and UNC with 3 timeouts and you want a guy at full speed to take a knee at the 1?
Glad you're not coaching.
Frenchise isn't saying he wants to be coach. He's saying he wants someone else who is as clueless about football as he is to be the coach. I would challenge him to name one coach in the history of the game who would make the decision to not try to score a touchdown when you are behind with 3 minutes left to go in the game and you are running a play that's 75 yards from the end zone, or who would say under the same situation to just get the first down. If he can name just one and give me an example, I might give him a little bit of credibility

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Then we lose, just like we did tonight. I'd rather take the small chance of a TO from our offense than the huge chance that UNC scores at the end there.
A complicated strategy like you propose would never work. You can't have kids on the field trying to be cerebral, doing things that are against their training.

jason

Georgia Tech Fan
I have never seen any body step out of bounds to run clock it would have Bern different if we only needed a field goal.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Frenchise isn't saying he wants to be coach. He's saying he wants someone else who is as clueless about football as he is to be the coach. I would challenge him to name one coach in the history of the game who would make the decision to not try to score a touchdown when you are behind with 3 minutes left to go in the game and you are running a play that's 75 yards from the end zone, or who would say under the same situation to just get the first down. If he can name just one and give me an example, I might give him a little bit of credibility
Not a defense of Frechise but everybody in my den said that we had scored too quick....of course when you can score.......then score ! when you score around or over thiry every game you should win ninety percent ofthem but our defense is just too slow or too small or not strong enough to rush the passer so lets Joh T it and bring the kitchen sink......we got to quit making qbs look like Tom Brady every time they play us.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
This might be the dumbest post I have ever seen. The OP obviously doesn't know football. You never ever tell a player not to score. 600 yds and 43 points. Paul ain't the problem.
Nope offense is not the culprit here.........PJ does however get the shaft since he recruits and is the HC..........looks to me that we just need a draft where about all we take is defensive lineman and backers.......we score enough but man....we giveaway point.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Everyone watching the game new that we scored "too fast". Do you not think CPJ knew that? Or that the D was told they had to stop NC just enough to win as they went out on the field? Of course they knew it. They just couldn't do it. Heck, if they had done it earlier in the game we would have won. They couldn't stop anything NC did.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Not a defense of Frechise but everybody in my den said that we had scored too quick....of course when you can score.......then score ! when you score around or over thiry every game you should win ninety percent ofthem but our defense is just too slow or too small or not strong enough to rush the passer so lets Joh T it and bring the kitchen sink......we got to quit making qbs look like Tom Brady every time they play us.

Mack, I agree. I was at the game, and that was my first thought when I saw him running down the sideline. The issue was not our strategy of wanting to score, the issue was our inability to stop them. Although I like Ted Roof, I'm not a fan of the bend-don't break. Not being a Tech grad (just a dumb old walk up fan), I not smart enough to explain it other than to say if you bend something enough, it's gonna break. It was frustrating to see on numerous occasions when they have 3rd (or 4th) and 3 or less our DB's were playing 5-8 yards off the receiver and NC would run a quick toss to the man in the flats who just needed to to take two steps for the first down. I'm not a fan of the bend-don't break. Not being a Tech grad (just a dumb old walk up fan), I not smart enough to explain it other than to say if you bend something enough, it's gonna break.

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan

Let me explain:

Most of this rant is outrageous, except the parts about the need to find a defensive scheme that can slow people down while having limited players. Problem for us is that what little talent we do have goes to the offensive side of the ball. CPJ is offensive (no pun intended) minded; he takes first pick of the roster and leaves the rest of the squad for the DC to do as best he can with what's leftover. We have 4 or 5 guys on D who are truly D1 players. Count your blessings the rest of the year when we hold a team to under 50. BTW we still haven't beaten a good team since the Duke game last year.