Don't forget what happened to the roster

MidtownJacket

Staff member
bwelbo, I generally think you post some cogant ideas, so I would ask you, why not insert Tobias?

I think it it more nuanced than that. Tobias ran a lot of things in “out athlete the competition” mode. We don’t have the reps with him in games yet to allow Johnson to make smaller adjustments throughout the game and even inside of series from play to play. We saw him come in and essentially cause a fall start by mumble mouthing the snap count.

Fact is we were outclasses on Saturday by a better team at essentially every position. It was a hard loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100% with this.... Benson is THAT important. He's a 1,500 yard rusher for crying out loud. He is probably the most important weapon on the team and we didn't have him.

Benson hasn't proven to be a 1500 yard rusher. He rushed for 1053 last year and even if you take the per game and space it out to 14 games it'd be 1340. This year Howard was 5.3 and Mason was 6.2. The difference is that Howard and Mason shared the load for 208 carries while Benson got all of the 204 himself. Benson had his moments. He also finished the year with 4 games under 4 ypc on 70 ish carries having just one carry over 10 yards. Acting like he was the difference between what we got and a 10 win season is absurd. None of them are, or were going to be, Dwyer level backs this year. Benson is a good back. Might develop into a great back. Same can be said for Howard and Mason though.

I don't even know what to say about complaining about losing a back up QB who has no experience.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I've seen several posts like this, but I think they're simply wrong.

If you look at starting DLs across the country, you will find that typically they are smaller–often much smaller–then the OLs they are up against. In today's "push and dance" blocking routines, the premium is on really big guys who essentially waddle to a place on the field and try to push D players out of the way so their RB can pick a hole. (Btw, if you are worried about this now, get ready; Woody's DLs are typically smaller then ours was this year.) Imho, it isn't the size difference between our DL and their OL that played us false against the Dwags; shoot, most of the decent teams we played this year (Duke, Miami, VT, Pitt; you can check) were just as big and we did well against them. Nope, it was the speed of their WRs and RBs. If you don't need a hole to stay open long or a route to take much time to develop–and they don't–then your OL can look like a champ. (I admit I was surprised by this, btw.) That they had some really good OLs out there helped them too, but not as much.

Could we use some bigger players on DL? Yes, and they are coming up; next year's DL (Adams, Owens, Glanton or Martin) should average either 295 or 293, depending. But we'll have to see what Woody wants to do with the DL; like I said, he seems to favor speed and agility over bulk.

56 lbs. per man is too much discrepancy. DL's should be smaller, but not that much smaller. It's just too much.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Georgia just lost their Best LB in school history, the guy we blamed for their success last year, and they STILL dominated.

We have two losses pretty much built into our schedule each year with Clemson and UGA and that is not going to change no matter who coaches the team or what schemes we run. Yes, there will be the occasional upset, but we can’t recruit enough talent that is both student and athlete and we haven’t, by and large, for half a century.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
We averaged 6.5 yards per pass play yesterday (below par but hardly a disaster) even with the pressure, with 1 TD and no interceptions.
Only 2.8 yards per carry on the ground.

That stat is definitely skewed by the big losses on sacks. Those are pass plays, but they count hugely against run plays.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We were supposed to be the run team but they just ran power football right through us. They could have beaten us without throwing a pass. Shows how important the OL is and can be done without a TO. It will be interesting to see how they stack up against Bama. Power on power. Tua might be a bit better QB but Fromm is darn good as well. Should be fun to watch.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
We were supposed to be the run team but they just ran power football right through us. They could have beaten us without throwing a pass. Shows how important the OL is and can be done without a TO. It will be interesting to see how they stack up against Bama. Power on power. Tua might be a bit better QB but Fromm is darn good as well. Should be fun to watch.

Sorry, I don’t consider a game between two teams I absolutely hate to be “fun to watch” by any means. I hope Bama crushes them though.

You know, I would love to put you under center and let you try to run the offense.

It wouldn't take me years to master the QB Keeper! Plus I'd throw it all over the place. I'd be calling audibles and **** to:

"Red 82! Red 82! Omaha! Omahaaaa! huthut.....HUT!!"

CPJ: WTF - that is NOT a B-back dive?!

Animal02

Banned
I think it it more nuanced than that. Tobias ran a lot of things in “out athlete the competition” mode. We don’t have the reps with him in games yet to allow Johnson to make smaller adjustments throughout the game and even inside of series from play to play. We saw him come in and essentially cause a fall start by mumble mouthing the snap count.

Fact is we were outclasses on Saturday by a better team at essentially every position. It was a hard loss.

And they outclassed pretty much everyone they played this season outside of LSU

MidtownJacket

Staff member
And they outclassed pretty much everyone they played this season outside of LSU

Agreed. The talent differential for the elites (Alabama, Clemson, God help me but uga too) is beyond what we have.

Gotta hit the weights and start getting ready for the bowl game.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It wouldn't take me years to master the QB Keeper! Plus I'd throw it all over the place. I'd be calling audibles and **** to:

"Red 82! Red 82! Omaha! Omahaaaa! huthut.....HUT!!"

CPJ: WTF - that is NOT a B-back dive?!

LOL!!!! Oh the first time you missed a read on the b back dive and the d tackle took your head off passing would be the last thing on your mind

LOL!!!! Oh the first time you missed a read on the b back dive and the d tackle took your head off passing would be the last thing on your mind

**** that - I'd chuck it, take the hit and the 15 yds roughingTheQB assessed on the kickoff because TD!!

I'd audible off a FB dive almost every time though.

Truth

Georgia Tech Fan
Exactly! Fans love to see a passing offense in action!
Not when you are sacked nearly every play!

It would be interesting to get in CPJs head to know why he did not think he could develop a pass option with this team to counter stacking the box.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Yesterday would have been a great time to have played James Greham at quarterback during the 4th quarter. Granted Marshall completed a few passes late against Georgia's reserves, but that didn't do anything for the future of our team. Sometimes it's very frustrating to figure out which way Paul Johnson wants to lead our football program.
IMO, it's not hard at all to figure out. PJ has been consistent, if anything, with how he's run his program and managed his personnel, since he's been here.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
You don’t throw the third string kid into a rivalry game against #5 UGA in the final few minutes on the road to appease an ignorant fan base.

If he wasn’t prepped and ready, by the standards of our coaching staff who is paid to evaluate and decide these things, then he didn’t need to be on the field. We brought him in for that little flea flick variant near the end to give the team something positive, but c’mon man we don’t risk hurting him or she’ll shocking him in this game. Maybe we see him get some snaps in the bowl game, but again I’ll leave those choices to the professionals.
Again, it was the 4th quarter. Georgia was playing their reserves. There is a reason the NCAA changed the red-shirt rule. I know there are a couple of big "if" coming up, but if Clemson and GT open up the 2019 season at Clemson for the new ACC Network, Graham could be the starter.

Last edited: