Don't forget what happened to the roster

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
1.) Dedrick Mills, who would have been All ACC had to be kicked off the team. He would have been here still

2.) Kirvonte Benson... Again, All ACC... Didn't play. He can break 70 yards runs on dive plays, plus it's hard to tackle him. Mason and Howard can't. He didn't play this year due to injury.

3. Lucas Johnson... The 6'3'' qb who was 2nd string got hurt. When TQM went down or was ineffective it would have been Johnson instead of Oliver. Tobias did well, but he can't throw like Lucas Johnson. Not even close. LJ may have come in and never relinquished the job. He didn't play this year.

It's hard for any program to lose some all conference talent.... Especially at Tech. That dive play opens up the offense, including passing when they have to sell out for it...

There is a lot of speed and talent upgrades for next year at QB, AB, BB, and WR.
More excuses.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
1.) Dedrick Mills, who would have been All ACC had to be kicked off the team. He would have been here still

2.) Kirvonte Benson... Again, All ACC... Didn't play. He can break 70 yards runs on dive plays, plus it's hard to tackle him. Mason and Howard can't. He didn't play this year due to injury.

3. Lucas Johnson... The 6'3'' qb who was 2nd string got hurt. When TQM went down or was ineffective it would have been Johnson instead of Oliver. Tobias did well, but he can't throw like Lucas Johnson. Not even close. LJ may have come in and never relinquished the job. He didn't play this year.

It's hard for any program to lose some all conference talent.... Especially at Tech. That dive play opens up the offense, including passing when they have to sell out for it...

There is a lot of speed and talent upgrades for next year at QB, AB, BB, and WR.

Which one of these guys would've prevented uga's first team from scoring every single possession against us?

stingem103

Georgia Tech Fan
To play devils advocate...they lost their entire team last year and might be better..we had a good amount of people back even with the personnel losses you mention. Lets work on fixing our internal issues instead of making excuses....need to focus on anything that makes GT football better first while putting blinders on to a degree externally. I think we are way to concerned with other programs generally speaking instead of focusing on what we can control...I would argue that this toxic thought process makes it harder for us to do well...constantly comparing ourselves to others is not really building a culture IMO....I dont blame kids for not wanting to come here with a fan culture like that. Our team was 7-5 and in many areas of the country thats something you can actually build on...not for our fans...you really think GT could compete the same way factories do? Its not normal to be doing what UGA is doing nor are odds high that it truly lasts for an extended period of time....it almost never does.

I am going to wear my GT gear more than I ever have before going forward. I will give more to GT football and will encourage others to do so (money can actually change something....we need to follow through with donations). We can be mad all day about what ifs but that doesnt actually fix things...give money and buy tickets. Continue to trust in what T Stan is doing as hard as it is right now.

To play devils advocate...they lost their entire team last year and might be better..we had a good amount of people back even with the personnel losses you mention. Lets work on fixing our internal issues instead of making excuses....need to focus on anything that makes GT football better first while putting blinders on to a degree externally. I think we are way to concerned with other programs generally speaking instead of focusing on what we can control...I would argue that this toxic thought process makes it harder for us to do well...constantly comparing ourselves to others is not really building a culture IMO....I dont blame kids for not wanting to come here with a fan culture like that. Our team was 7-5 and in many areas of the country thats something you can actually build on...not for our fans...you really think GT could compete the same way factories do? Its not normal to be doing what UGA is doing nor are odds high that it truly lasts for an extended period of time....it almost never does.

I am going to wear my GT gear more than I ever have before going forward. I will give more to GT football and will encourage others to do so (money can actually change something....we need to follow through with donations). We can be mad all day about what ifs but that doesnt actually fix things...give money and buy tickets. Continue to trust in what T Stan is doing as hard as it is right now.

Since I had to start buying my own tickets, 1994 after my Grandmother died, I have done so every year. I buy 4 and used to give 1k per year before they just went ahead and included that. I have bought during the last years of Lewis, and so on and continue to get them even though I live 1200 miles away. When I turn 62, in 5 more years, I plan on moving back to Georgia, Getting some land and a cabin where I can pursue my happiness, Deer hunting, fishing, writing books and of course attending Tech games, even some away games. I wear my GT proudly almost every day.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Since I had to start buying my own tickets, 1994 after my Grandmother died, I have done so every year. I buy 4 and used to give 1k per year before they just went ahead and included that. I have bought during the last years of Lewis, and so on and continue to get them even though I live 1200 miles away. When I turn 62, in 5 more years, I plan on moving back to Georgia, Getting some land and a cabin where I can pursue my happiness, Deer hunting, fishing, writing books and of course attending Tech games, even some away games. I wear my GT proudly almost every day.
Mind right, on all counts!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Next man up. Every team has injuries...this is why depth matters...but I hear you. I’m just glad when we don’t have 2015 type years now.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not making excuses, I am just saying it's difficult to lose your best players especially at that position. This should have been an 8 win team (regular season), and they won 7. The USF game being the total dud that got away.

8 win team in a "so so" season with significant injuries is a good thing. 7 win team in these conditions is "ok"... They can get to 8 with a bowl win though.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Actually we may not have had as many or as bad of losses as a lot of teams.
Next yr we'll wonder about Qua ,Lynch, StA, Mitchell being gone .Its called depth and we have little.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We actually didn't have a lot of season ending injuries this year. OL stayed pretty healthy this year. Benson loss hurt and would have been interesting if LJ had been available. I thought he was 2nd string ahead of TO when he got hurt. The season could have been a lot worse with more injuries. I think Woody is building some depth on D. He rotates more than TR did. We need big DL and at least a fast LB.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely true. Georgia averages 327 on OL. We average 271 on DL. That is a prohibitive discrepancy. No way to stop that train. No way. They were bulldozers.
I've seen several posts like this, but I think they're simply wrong.

If you look at starting DLs across the country, you will find that typically they are smaller–often much smaller–then the OLs they are up against. In today's "push and dance" blocking routines, the premium is on really big guys who essentially waddle to a place on the field and try to push D players out of the way so their RB can pick a hole. (Btw, if you are worried about this now, get ready; Woody's DLs are typically smaller then ours was this year.) Imho, it isn't the size difference between our DL and their OL that played us false against the Dwags; shoot, most of the decent teams we played this year (Duke, Miami, VT, Pitt; you can check) were just as big and we did well against them. Nope, it was the speed of their WRs and RBs. If you don't need a hole to stay open long or a route to take much time to develop–and they don't–then your OL can look like a champ. (I admit I was surprised by this, btw.) That they had some really good OLs out there helped them too, but not as much.

Could we use some bigger players on DL? Yes, and they are coming up; next year's DL (Adams, Owens, Glanton or Martin) should average either 295 or 293, depending. But we'll have to see what Woody wants to do with the DL; like I said, he seems to favor speed and agility over bulk.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I've seen several posts like this, but I think they're simply wrong.

If you look at starting DLs across the country, you will find that typically they are smaller–often much smaller–then the OLs they are up against. In today's "push and dance" blocking routines, the premium is on really big guys who essentially waddle to a place on the field and try to push D players out of the way so their RB can pick a hole. (Btw, if you are worried about this now, get ready; Woody's DLs are typically smaller then ours was this year.) Imho, it isn't the size difference between our DL and their OL that played us false against the Dwags; shoot, most of the decent teams we played this year (Duke, Miami, VT, Pitt; you can check) were just as big and we did well against them. Nope, it was the speed of their WRs and RBs. If you don't need a hole to stay open long or a route to take much time to develop–and they don't–then your OL can look like a champ. (I admit I was surprised by this, btw.) That they had some really good OLs out there helped them too, but not as much.

Could we use some bigger players on DL? Yes, and they are coming up; next year's DL (Adams, Owens, Glanton or Martin) should average either 295 or 293, depending. But we'll have to see what Woody wants to do with the DL; like I said, he seems to favor speed and agility over bulk.

Yes, that was a tired comment in the chat yesterday. The weight thing is over done. Now, the eye test isn’t and we look not only smaller but decidedly less athletic and strong. That is cause for concern.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I am not making excuses, I am just saying it's difficult to lose your best players especially at that position. This should have been an 8 win team (regular season), and they won 7. The USF game being the total dud that got away.

8 win team in a "so so" season with significant injuries is a good thing. 7 win team in these conditions is "ok"... They can get to 8 with a bowl win though.
Imho, with Benson, we beat Pitt, USF, and Duke.

"What! He was that important!?" Yes, because with him we had two potential home run hitters in the backfield, TaQuon and Benson. That means it becomes much more difficult to key on TaQuon. Shadow him and we turn to Benson. Shadow Benson and we turn TaQuon loose. There'a a reason why they were both over 1000 yards last year. To see how important, look at Benson against USF: 4 carries, 44 yards. Do the math on 20 carries, even if he didn't end up averaging 11. Combine that with the relative health of the rest of the team and things could have gotten interesting.

This isn't meant as a diss to the Two-Headed Monster. Howard and Mason did a great job taking up the slack this year. But, while they are both really good BBs, they are not someone you have to watch on every play to avoid getting a home run. That makes a difference.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
You don’t throw the third string kid into a rivalry game against #5 UGA in the final few minutes on the road to appease an ignorant fan base.

If he wasn’t prepped and ready, by the standards of our coaching staff who is paid to evaluate and decide these things, then he didn’t need to be on the field. We brought him in for that little flea flick variant near the end to give the team something positive, but c’mon man we don’t risk hurting him or she’ll shocking him in this game. Maybe we see him get some snaps in the bowl game, but again I’ll leave those choices to the professionals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So why didn't he bring in Tobias, TQ wasn't getting the job done? At this time in the season I don't see any professionals on Tech's coaching team.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Imho, with Benson, we beat Pitt, USF, and Duke.

"What! He was that important!?" Yes, because with him we had two potential home run hitters in the backfield, TaQuon and Benson. That means it becomes much more difficult to key on TaQuon. Shadow him and we turn to Benson. Shadow Benson and we turn TaQuon loose. There'a a reason why they were both over 1000 yards last year. To see how important, look at Benson against USF: 4 carries, 44 yards. Do the math on 20 carries, even if he didn't end up averaging 11. Combine that with the relative health of the rest of the team and things could have gotten interesting.

This isn't meant as a diss to the Two-Headed Monster. Howard and Mason did a great job taking up the slack this year. But, while they are both really good BBs, they are not someone you have to watch on every play to avoid getting a home run. That makes a difference.

I agree 100% with this.... Benson is THAT important. He's a 1,500 yard rusher for crying out loud. He is probably the most important weapon on the team and we didn't have him.

Nothing else to add... you covered it in that post.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
TaQuon is done. The future of our team is just fine and you’ll have a different QB. If you’re accusing CPJ of not doing what gives us the best chance to win, I’d like to hear more evidence. JG was just in high school 6 months ago.
bwelbo, I generally think you post some cogant ideas, so I would ask you, why not insert Tobias?

Deleted member 2897

bwelbo, I generally think you post some cogant ideas, so I would ask you, why not insert Tobias?

He’s played a ton before and even started. So we know CPJ is a fan of his. I’d have to assume maybe he was dinged up or something, but that’s just speculation, based on the large amount of playing time he’s had this year. But I’m just guessing.