Don't forget what happened to the roster

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
1.) Dedrick Mills, who would have been All ACC had to be kicked off the team. He would have been here still

2.) Kirvonte Benson... Again, All ACC... Didn't play. He can break 70 yards runs on dive plays, plus it's hard to tackle him. Mason and Howard can't. He didn't play this year due to injury.

3. Lucas Johnson... The 6'3'' qb who was 2nd string got hurt. When TQM went down or was ineffective it would have been Johnson instead of Oliver. Tobias did well, but he can't throw like Lucas Johnson. Not even close. LJ may have come in and never relinquished the job. He didn't play this year.

It's hard for any program to lose some all conference talent.... Especially at Tech. That dive play opens up the offense, including passing when they have to sell out for it...

There is a lot of speed and talent upgrades for next year at QB, AB, BB, and WR.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with everything you said except for the Lucas Johnson situation. If CPJ had any real intentions of playing him and utilizing his skill as a passer, then he would have gotten some playing time during our second half skid of the 2017 season. As it was I think he had one snap in the UGA game and that might have been his only action in the last five games of 2017. We lost 4 of those 5 and got blown out in two of them.

If he wasn't going to play then, he probably shouldn't expect too much time next season coming off of an injury which will probably limit his ability to run the football.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I think we recovered enough with our current B-Backs. I think what hurt us more was losing A.J. Gray off the defense. We have really got to turn it up on getting good recruits this December and February. I think the Amerson kid from Alabama can be special at B-back. But we truly have got to find some defensive help badly.

TechPreacher

Banned
1.) Dedrick Mills, who would have been All ACC had to be kicked off the team. He would have been here still

2.) Kirvonte Benson... Again, All ACC... Didn't play. He can break 70 yards runs on dive plays, plus it's hard to tackle him. Mason and Howard can't. He didn't play this year due to injury.

3. Lucas Johnson... The 6'3'' qb who was 2nd string got hurt. When TQM went down or was ineffective it would have been Johnson instead of Oliver. Tobias did well, but he can't throw like Lucas Johnson. Not even close. LJ may have come in and never relinquished the job. He didn't play this year.

It's hard for any program to lose some all conference talent.... Especially at Tech. That dive play opens up the offense, including passing when they have to sell out for it...

There is a lot of speed and talent upgrades for next year at QB, AB, BB, and WR.

And Marcus Marshall.

Animal02

Banned

But but but.....that is all CPJ's fault according to some.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, but if the loss of a key B back makes us look as bad as we did yesterday then our depth is so bad ....we suck.

Lucas....CPJ wasn't going to play him (it seems) no matter what.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I agree with everything you said except for the Lucas Johnson situation. If CPJ had any real intentions of playing him and utilizing his skill as a passer, then he would have gotten some playing time during our second half skid of the 2017 season. As it was I think he had one snap in the UGA game and that might have been his only action in the last five games of 2017. We lost 4 of those 5 and got blown out in two of them.

If he wasn't going to play then, he probably shouldn't expect too much time next season coming off of an injury which will probably limit his ability to run the football.
Yesterday would have been a great time to have played James Greham at quarterback during the 4th quarter. Granted Marshall completed a few passes late against Georgia's reserves, but that didn't do anything for the future of our team. Sometimes it's very frustrating to figure out which way Paul Johnson wants to lead our football program.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yesterday would have been a great time to have played James Greham at quarterback during the 4th quarter. Granted Marshall completed a few passes late against Georgia's reserves, but that didn't do anything for the future of our team. Sometimes it's very frustrating to figure out which way Paul Johnson wants to lead our football program.

You don’t throw the third string kid into a rivalry game against #5 UGA in the final few minutes on the road to appease an ignorant fan base.

If he wasn’t prepped and ready, by the standards of our coaching staff who is paid to evaluate and decide these things, then he didn’t need to be on the field. We brought him in for that little flea flick variant near the end to give the team something positive, but c’mon man we don’t risk hurting him or she’ll shocking him in this game. Maybe we see him get some snaps in the bowl game, but again I’ll leave those choices to the professionals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

TaQuon is done. The future of our team is just fine and you’ll have a different QB. If you’re accusing CPJ of not doing what gives us the best chance to win, I’d like to hear more evidence. JG was just in high school 6 months ago.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
You don’t throw the third string kid into a rivalry game against #5 UGA in the final few minutes on the road to u an ignorant fan base.

If he wasn’t prepped and ready, by the standards of our coaching staff who is paid to evaluate and decide these things, then he didn’t need to be on the field. We brought him in for that little flea flick variant near the end to give the team something positive, but c’mon man we don’t risk hurting him or she’ll shocking him in this game. Maybe we see him get some snaps in the bowl game, but again I’ll leave those choices to the professionals.

Have to agree with you there. It would not have mattered who was QB yesterday - even Mike Vick would not have been able to get away from the pressure uga was bringing. In fact Marshall looked pretty good when at the end we he had some time to throw. I think Johnson has proved that he is not afraid to put in the QB that gives them the best chance to win so I would not question that. Graham will get the redshirt and have 4 years to prove what he can do.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Mason and Howard have rushed for 6.2 and 5.3 ypc this year, respectively. Every team loses players. Of course Benson and Mills could have helped us, but B back is the least of our problems.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

This is a cop-out, if Kirby wanted to he could have put up 70 on us yesterday.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Have to agree with you there. It would not have mattered who was QB yesterday - even Mike Vick would not have been able to get away from the pressure uga was bringing. In fact Marshall looked pretty good when at the end we he had some time to throw. I think Johnson has proved that he is not afraid to put in the QB that gives them the best chance to win so I would not question that. Graham will get the redshirt and have 4 years to prove what he can do.

We averaged 6.5 yards per pass play yesterday (below par but hardly a disaster) even with the pressure, with 1 TD and no interceptions.
Only 2.8 yards per carry on the ground.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
You don’t throw the third string kid into a rivalry game against #5 UGA in the final few minutes on the road to appease an ignorant fan base.

He was in the game as a WR and he got creamed twice. CPJ wasn’t worried about him getting hurt so neither should you. Since TM and TO weren’t getting it done, I don’t see anything wrong with giving JG some reps. It isn’t like he’s going to get PTSD from coming into a game that was already over in the second quarter.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
Like you’re thoughts but you know according to some on here it takes years to learn to hand off and run up the middle maybe JG will get to play in 3 or 4 years.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Do howard and Mason do "fine"? Yes.... But they aren't all ACC talent like Benson. They can't make the dive play deadly... They can't break it to the outside for a big play. They are also significantly easier to tackle than Benson and Mills. Neither one of them can individually run for 1,500 yards...

I think many underestimate that loss

As said before, this year, QB would have been Mathew Jordan, Co-Bs Mills and Marshall with Benson in reserve. A's Searcy, Lynch, Mason, Howard, Cotrell. We played 5 As in 2014. But all that being said, Offense was not the issue and the loss of AJ Gray does not make up for averaging 255 lbs on your D-line.