Don't be suprised...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I wish we would have had Jeff Greene in 14 he was such a difference maker at Ohio State
I got you. That's one of those irony comments, right? Maybe facetious? Even fatuous? You sure made me waste time. Fearing I had missed something there I had to check. He played a bit, mostly special teams. I guess that was your point.

I don't know. Why can't you admit the D is and has been mediocre? Some of these coaches have a lot of pull on where kids go. I wouldn't go trashing them.
The same reason you can't admit the d has played better this year than any of the prior 9. The offense has been a major disappointment this year. The OL is STILL a work in progress. Only been 10 years to fix that. The passing game is still rec league. The play calling is the same as it was in 08. The only one responsible for the success or failure of the defense, offense, and special teams goes by the name of not Ted Roof, but Paul Johnson.

Jmonty71

Banned
The same reason you can't admit the d has played better this year than any of the prior 9. The offense has been a major disappointment this year. The OL is STILL a work in progress. Only been 10 years to fix that. The passing game is still rec league. The play calling is the same as it was in 08. The only one responsible for the success or failure of the defense, offense, and special teams goes by the name of not Ted Roof, but Paul Johnson.
And.... Just so you know. Not that I care. I have acknowledged that the D was better. However; there is plenty of improvement to be had. One year does not make up for the last 9. I guess I don't accept mediocrity. Roof runs an outdated scheme. We don't have the athletes to make up for the lack of intensity.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My $.02...this thread has "jumped the shark" and the locker room talk is best kept off of this site imo. I think there are other GT boards already in existence with the "anything goes" or "no holds barred" mindset. This one has alway been one for more civil but yet detailed, analytical and informed discussion of GT FB. I can't speak for others but I would like this site to continue to serve that niche in the GT message board market.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
So basically accept mediocrity or choose another team. Interesting

Not what I said, but your interpretation. But to some degree, we need to catch lightning in a bottle with our recruiting handicap, so I guess if that what it means, then o.k.

I would never tell anyone to choose another team. I wish we had more fans, but we aren't about to become a football factory.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My $.02...this thread has "jumped the shark" and the locker room talk is best kept off of this site imo. I think there are other GT boards already in existence with the "anything goes" or "no holds barred" mindset. This one has alway been one for more civil but yet detailed, analytical and informed discussion of GT FB. I can't speak for others but I would like this site to continue to serve that niche in the GT message board market.
+1

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
@AlabamaBuzz have you hit the recruiting trail to help improve “jimmies and joes”

Not sure how a 54 year old engineer could do that, but when I have come across great players locally, I always try to tell their parents to consider GT. I do tutor kids locally on SAT and ACT, so I am trying, but very few great FB players care to up their scores enough to call me or are considering the rigors of a STEM school.

With that said, it would be HARD for any coach to convince players to want to do GT, if they think they are destined for the NFL, unless they are a different kind of kid or a kid with some connection to us, like the Swillings.

Like I said in another post bad coaches can ruin good talent and good coaches can coach up mediocre talent. It’s been done many many times. Not trying to be argumentative with ya just making s point that the excuse is getting old. If CPJ cant coach up talent TEAM wide not just on the offense it is a problem.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I'm still waiting to hear what high school coaches said that about Roof...
One suspects you will have a long wait. I cannot imagine, for instance, any HS coach anywhere telling one of his players not to go to GT unless said player had no interest at all in the course offerings and curriculum, in which case, good for the coach -- as long as the parents in the loop -- because he is trying to help. Setting him up to fail, or to have a horrible college experience is not what teachers should be about. But to pass up the school he wants because of the coach? Maybe Pitino or Petrino at Louisville. But not many others. But to have the interest, the background and desire ... but run from the coaching staff? That coach would be banned from my house and I would break a long-standing rule not to tell my kids what a jerkoff the particular coach is.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
And.... Just so you know. Not that I care. I have acknowledged that the D was better. However; there is plenty of improvement to be had. One year does not make up for the last 9. I guess I don't accept mediocrity. Roof runs an outdated scheme. We don't have the athletes to make up for the lack of intensity.
I doubt anybody on the board "accepts" mediocrity. Intensity is such a subjective judgment that I doubt anybody not on the sideline or the playing field can make it accurately. One of the most laid back players I ever saw ran the fastest without obvious effort and hit the hardest. You just never can tell. C'est la vie. (That great philosopher, Chuck Berry.)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
... it's a "known fact" that the coaches play there favorites regardless if it doesn't help give the team the best opportunity to win...
( He said facetiously [emoji39])

I will admit the ONE thing I wonder about with CPJ is this...if he has a QB who is a spectacular runner but only adequate at best as a passer, and a different QB who is only adequate as a runner but is a really great passer....who would he start at QB?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I will admit the ONE thing I wonder about with CPJ is this...if he has a QB who is a spectacular runner but only adequate at best as a passer, and a different QB who is only adequate as a runner but is a really great passer....who would he start at QB?
Guess would be the one that gives us the best chance to win. I.e. the one that makes more correct reads and executes.

Status
Not open for further replies.