Does KirVonte Benson

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Great to be able to lose a guy like MM and have guys of the caliber of Quaide and Kirvonte step up. Great job by those guys.

I'm eager to see what all three can do. Mills is much bigger, Kirvonte runs tough for his size and has wheels and Quaide showed--at least in the spring game--great vision, quick feet, and change of direction. Tough guy to deal with for a tired defense.

Competition and depth are both splendid things and it takes both to have a solid position. Very thankful for each of these guys, how hard they have worked, and waht they bring to the table.

Will be fun to watch!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
With the depth we have at BBackband the Fr. coming in (which will probably redshirt) KB could be a weapon at ABack in the future if the touches aren't there behind Mills. That type of speed needs to be in the field.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Imo mm is faster in pads. track times dont translate to football times alot; in other words just because guy a is faster than guy b on the track than he will be faster in pads on the field.

They both are quick. But imo mm was a bit faster top end etc.

I like benson style of running more though

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Benson's background reminds me most of Snoddy with the track speed and minimal football experience. Snoddy also started out at BBack. Benson's got better size though which may prove him to be a better fit at BBack than Snoddy. I haven't seen enough of him yet to say much else. Some of what he did in the Spring game was encouraging. Same with Quaide.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Way, way, way (is that enough ways?) way to early to be able to make definitive statements about the ceilings of any of our Bbacks not named Swilling.

I for one do not believe Dwyer will be the definitive best bback to ever play for us when all is said and done (and I'm a huge Dwyer fan, dude was an elite stud).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Way, way, way (is that enough ways?) way to early to be able to make definitive statements about the ceilings of any of our Bbacks not named Swilling.

I for one do not believe Dwyer will be the definitive best bback to ever play for us when all is said and done (and I'm a huge Dwyer fan, dude was an elite stud).
Days/Laskey already most prolific.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Imo mm is faster in pads. track times dont translate to football times alot; in other words just because guy a is faster than guy b on the track than he will be faster in pads on the field.

I doubt this, Benson ran a 10.59 in the 100 meters.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Will be interesting to see how Mills does this year as the unquestioned lead BB. Will CPJ use him as a workhorse ala Dwyer and spell him when he needs it, or will he split carries like Days and Laskey to help with the long season?

I still don't think some realize how good of a BB Dwyer was for us. He was a battering ram with sprinter's speed (more 2008 than in 2009). His ability on the second level was special, the way he was able to cut against the grain, his explosion in small windows, his stiff arm. I think Mills is every bit the power runner Dwyer is, and may be slightly better in that area, but lacks explosive HR threat Dwyer was on the second level. I will say this, Mills has the potential to be every bit as good of a BB Dwyer was...he's just going to be a different kind of very good.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck

Not disagreeing with you, but expect KB to run faster the more he plays and his aggressiveness/vision improve. It was a shame we lost Snoddy when we did. He was just starting to cut loose on the field.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I doubt this, Benson ran a 10.59 in the 100 meters.

So if u believe track speed equals football speed as an absolute truth yes you are correct. Even though my presumption is simply track speed doesnt correlate to field speed perfectly as my opinion is mm looks faster even though bensons track speed may be quicker...a half second is not much when u add pads etc especially on grass

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Will be interesting to see how Mills does this year as the unquestioned lead BB. Will CPJ use him as a workhorse ala Dwyer and spell him when he needs it, or will he split carries like Days and Laskey to help with the long season?

Days and Laskey didn't split carries. There was one guy getting the vast majority of the carries pretty much the entire year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Days and Laskey didn't split carries. There was one guy getting the vast majority of the carries pretty much the entire year.
Runningback....................attempts.................yards..................avg.......................td's...........................att/game.......................ypg
Days.....................................157........................924....................5.9.........................9.................................11.2.............................66
Laskey..................................171........................851.....................5.0.........................9................................14.2.............................70

Looks pretty much like splitting carries to me.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Looks pretty much like splitting carries to me.

Go back and look game by game. For the first 7 games, laskey had the position to himself. Days had 16 total carries, a couple from the aback spot while Laskey had 120. That's 17 to 2.3 rpg disparity. That's not splitting carries. In the next 3 it was all days as Laskey was hurt, and against Clemson it was a 20-4 disparity. For the first 11 games there was nothing the resembled splitting carries.

Deleted member 2897

Go back and look game by game. For the first 7 games, laskey had the position to himself. Days had 16 total carries, a couple from the aback spot while Laskey had 120. That's 17 to 2.3 rpg disparity. That's not splitting carries. In the next 3 it was all days as Laskey was hurt, and against Clemson it was a 20-4 disparity. For the first 11 games there was nothing the resembled splitting carries.

You're both correct. But on substance of the point, I'll give the nod to lv20gt, because they both had injury issues back and forth. They did split carries when they were both healthy, but that was rare. Typically it was with 1 guy on the bench and 1 guy playing on the field.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You're both correct. But on substance of the point, I'll give the nod to lv20gt, because they both had injury issues back and forth. They did split carries when they were both healthy, but that was rare. Typically it was with 1 guy on the bench and 1 guy playing on the field.
I'm good with this.