Does it say anything

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Look at Maryland, one of the top teams in the country, they've got 2 transfers (Robert Carter and Rasheed Suliman) who play significant roles. All those clamor get like this a GT or Brian Gregory think need to wake up and smell the coffee.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Having a transfer or two or even 3 isn't the problem. The issue in my eyes is two-fold, (a) banking heavily on landing transfers to recover from significant misses on recruiting HS talent and (2) relying heavily on 1-year one-offs are the problems.

Transfers are certainly here to stay when it comes to the recruiting landscape. However, IMHO successful teams merely supplement their steady recruiting with them. Transfers are not the mainstay for successful programs.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
No one would take that bet. It's quite obvious we lose a lot at the end of this season. Point being you shouldn't attack the SA's that represent the school. The fault ultimately lies with the person who assembled the team and the administration that hired him, gave him an extension, and in the end, made him unfireable
AGAIN-- I just told the truth and I get insulted for it.If you don't think it is the truth ,don't insult me with empty words.Make the bet and make me pay for my "truthfulness".

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
And again,

It's not ultimately the truth that's the problem. It's the lack of respect being shown to student athletes that are busting their *** trying to win games.

That is deserving of many insults. If you can't see that there isn't much we can do for you.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
And again,

It's not ultimately the truth that's the problem. It's the lack of respect being shown to student athletes that are busting their *** trying to win games.

That is deserving of many insults. If you can't see that there isn't much we can do for you.

I appreciate that you always respect the student athletes, no matter how angry and pessimistic you are about the team. Thank you! (y)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
And again,

First off, one player on the team doesn't deserve to be shown any respect. His past actions have thrown any respect he is "owed" out the window.

Second, busting their *** shouldn't earn them anything from the fans. They are on full ride scholarships to a great school that most would not have the opportunity to PAY to go to if they weren't basketball players. Busting their *** and maintaining eligibility should be the minimal requirement for them being on the team. Not some sort of shield that makes it immoral to criticize them.

Third, hiding the truth isn't respect. Saying the truth is never disrespect.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
First off, one player on the team doesn't deserve to be shown any respect. His past actions have thrown any respect he is "owed" out the window.

Second, busting their *** shouldn't earn them anything from the fans. They are on full ride scholarships to a great school that most would not have the opportunity to PAY to go to if they weren't basketball players. Busting their *** and maintaining eligibility should be the minimal requirement for them being on the team. Not some sort of shield that makes it immoral to criticize them.

But their are better ways posting but then again they're are some things it is what it is. Still..

For my above post, I was posting with previous emotions on certain topics and clouded my spelling. I really meant to say "demand" our respect.:oops:

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

In that case feel free to go out, play better and earn that scholarship. Otherwise stfu.

These guys aren't professionals. GT is a tough school and on top of that they have to play a high enough level to appease the fan base despite their garbage coach so as not to get attacked for their play by some douchebag sitting at home slugging brew? F*** off.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
@MWBATL The Hurricanes starting back court are both transfers, along with a 3rd overall right now. The Hurricanes have taken in plenty of transfers in recent years, albeit earlier in their careers. Miami has a better coach than us & about 90% of the rest of college basketball.

I don't dispute that we're using 1-year transfers to plug gaps, but Chuck Mitchell, Nick Jacobs, Josh Heath, 3 starters who are transfers, will have been in residence for 2 or more years at GT. I'd also say that the staff is trying to right the ship & get HS recruiting back on track over the next couple of large classes.

Not sure which JuCo kids you're referring to regarding hoops, although we looked at a bunch this past recruiting cycle.

Also, please don't use Kentucky as the example. Use dook, as that's what they're doing now & I'd guess we all hate them more.

PS - Calipari would shred you on calling his kids abomination of student-athletes. Go look at his track record of academic performance. They may have easier major opptys than us, but they're required to maintain a good academic standing. Heck, Kantucky's Alex Poythress is a starter, a senior, graduated in 3 years, and was heavily recruited & interested in GT.

So he has a few kids that do take academics serious? That's the exception, not the rule.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Who is the player you think deserves our disrespect? We had a player last year who exhibited behavior that got him into trouble and endangered his "free ride" to Georgia Tech. But he's not on the team any longer. Maybe there is someone on the current team with a checkered past, but the news of those transgressions did not not make headlines in the media I read. Help me out.

Thanks.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So he has a few kids that do take academics serious? That's the exception, not the rule.

Looks like I can't even make that claim against dook, but I hate them so much.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/uk-basketball-scores-a-995-on-its-apr/

Both basketball programs finished last year top 10 in APR. Calipari gets these kids to follow through on everything he needs in exchange for getting them prepped for the league. He needs scholarships available. These kids at Kentucky love Cal enough to stay in good standing if even for a year. It's not on them how the school is set up to support that same way it's not on our kids how the Georgia Board of Regents doesn't set us up to support that.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Looks like I can't even make that claim against dook, but I hate them so much.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/uk-basketball-scores-a-995-on-its-apr/

Both basketball programs finished last year top 10 in APR. Calipari gets these kids to follow through on everything he needs in exchange for getting them prepped for the league. He needs scholarships available. These kids at Kentucky love Cal enough to stay in good standing if even for a year. It's not on them how the school is set up to support that same way it's not on our kids how the Georgia Board of Regents doesn't set us up to support that.
I am not going to knock Calipari, but the academics at UK are a joke compared to Tech. To begin, the high schools in Kentucky are among the nation's worst. And, Kentucky admits 92% of those kids who apply. Contrast that to GT where only 33% of a very selective group is admitted. On the SAT, more than 90% of freshmen at Tech scored 600 or above on all three sections. At UK less than 30% scored in that range for Critical Reading and Writing and less than 40% for Math. The fact that Calipari can keep them in school for a semester is great, but I am not impressed by that fact.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I am not going to knock Calipari, but the academics at UK are a joke compared to Tech. To begin, the high schools in Kentucky are among the nation's worst. And, Kentucky admits 92% of those kids who apply. Contrast that to GT where only 33% of a very selective group is admitted. On the SAT, more than 90% of freshmen at Tech scored 600 or above on all three sections. At UK less than 30% scored in that range for Critical Reading and Writing and less than 40% for Math. The fact that Calipari can keep them in school for a semester is great, but I am not impressed by that fact.
I didn't compare the academics. In fact, I noted the difference.

Also, how many UK kids are from Kentucky? Almost none of the headliners.

Finally, Calipari keeps them in school the full year to meet the APR needs.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-ba...rs-out-of-critics-ncaa-basketball-apr-release

People bag on Calipari, but he's conducting vocational training within the allowed framework of the NCAA. You want to pin those other things somewhere, put it on the University & its rabid fan base, along with what their home state is willing to accept academically.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
In that case feel free to go out, play better and earn that scholarship. Otherwise stfu.

These guys aren't professionals. GT is a tough school and on top of that they have to play a high enough level to appease the fan base despite their garbage coach so as not to get attacked for their play by some douchebag sitting at home slugging brew? F*** off.

I'm not talented enough to warrant a basketball scholarship. OMG WHAT DISRESPECT!!!!! Lmao.

No, what I did instead was go get 2 degrees in 4 years, both of which required more of a time investment than a management degree from GT, while working 20 hours a week helping other students with their schoolwork. On top of that I maintained eligibility for a scholarship that was significantly less than a full ride, and had significantly higher standards than maintaining eligibility to play a sport and "busting my ***". Now I'm in a situation where if I performed to the level our players are, I'd not only have my scholarship revoked, I'd be kicked out of the program regardless of how much effort I put in.

So spare me the "they bust their ***" bull. Join the damn club. There are tons of people out there, hell tons at GT alone, that work every bit as hard as our players for far less than a full ride scholarship to a place most of our players wouldn't have a chance at getting in if they weren't players.

Lastly, never touched a drop of alcohol in my life and never will. Drunkards are the reason I don't go to more football games.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm not talented enough to warrant a basketball scholarship. OMG WHAT DISRESPECT!!!!! Lmao.

No, what I did instead was go get 2 degrees in 4 years, both of which required more of a time investment than a management degree from GT, while working 20 hours a week helping other students with their schoolwork. On top of that I maintained eligibility for a scholarship that was significantly less than a full ride, and had significantly higher standards than maintaining eligibility to play a sport and "busting my ***". Now I'm in a situation where if I performed to the level our players are, I'd not only have my scholarship revoked, I'd be kicked out of the program regardless of how much effort I put in.

So spare me the "they bust their ***" bull. Join the damn club. There are tons of people out there, hell tons at GT alone, that work every bit as hard as our players for far less than a full ride scholarship to a place most of our players wouldn't have a chance at getting in if they weren't players.

Lastly, never touched a drop of alcohol in my life and never will. Drunkards are the reason I don't go to more football games.
I admire what you accomplished in college. While it took me longer than four years, that was my story as well. But, I bet you did not have people standing around heckling you for every tiny mistake you made or failure to live up to their never before stated expectations. Say you're disappointed with the way the kids play or the coaches coach, but lay off the generalized degrading comments. Given what you said about yourself, you should be above that. Even though other students are indeed busting their asses to stay in school, or to keep their scholarship, that does not say these kids aren't as well.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not going to rehash the CBG stuff as we have said all that needs to be said.

on transfers it is a significant part of college recruiting and the majority of college coaches now hold at least 1 scholly for the spring to see who shakes loose.
Miami, who is arguably the best team in the conference right now, is starting 3 transfers. Now all of them were kids that will be there for multiple years - which is preferable, but the majority of the ACC started at least 1 transfer last season and I expect the same this year.

Yup, my only "complaint" about transfers was the one and done variety. In truth, I think in the position we are in we should take anyone who can contribute, but in the long run, transfers who can play multiple years are still much better for us (imho).

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

And after all that you still don't know how to act in public.

I went to college, did a bunch of drugs, dropped out, went to work, decided that sucked, got my life together and went back on my own dime and got an engineering degree and now run $40M construction projects.

Point being neither of our stories give us reason or right to judge a bunch of college kids. You say they are undeserving of the scholarship, I say, who decided to offer it to them?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My favorite P36 post of all time. Brav-f'ing-O!!

I will take a break from the family to commend that response. Im not sure that there has been a bigger *** clown on any message board ever than Iv20.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Say you're disappointed with the way the kids play or the coaches coach, but lay off the generalized degrading comments. Given what you said about yourself, you should be above that. Even though other students are indeed busting their asses to stay in school, or to keep their scholarship, that does not say these kids aren't as well.

General degrading comments? Where? The only degrading comment I made concerning a player was about a single player and about a specific action. I even refrained from using his name because at this point if you care about those type of things you already know about it. The other degrading remark was about our coach who has earned every bit of the comment.

Second, I never said they aren't busting their asses. I'm saying them busting their asses doesn't mean they should be immune to criticism. It's also hypocritical to act like claiming there is a general lack of talent, or will be next year, is some huge show of disrespect. A constant defense of gregory's poor first few years was the "empty cupboard" that he was left. All an 'empty cupboard' is, is a nice way of saying lack of talent. But people didn't get in a tizzy over that.

You say they are undeserving of the scholarship, I say, who decided to offer it to them?

Gregory, and I've criticized him plenty. But how is saying that gregory messed up in offering them any different than saying they aren't ACC level talent?