Does it say anything

Whatllyahave

Georgia Tech Fan
...that 4 of our starters are transfers? Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that we finally won a close game but does the fact that so few of CBG's recruits can earn a starting position speak to poor recruiting...lack of player development...something else entirely? Just curious what y'all think.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
...that 4 of our starters are transfers? Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that we finally won a close game but does the fact that so few of CBG's recruits can earn a starting position speak to poor recruiting...lack of player development...something else entirely? Just curious what y'all think.

Some have defended it by saying "that's just the way the college game is now"...but long term, it's not good for a program to depend on transfers. You would like a transfer to be a very good compliment to the core group of guys you recruited and developed, but it's going to be pretty hard to have sustained success if you depend on the "college waiver wire" to build your program.

To me, bottom line is we need to recruit better and develop our own guys and take guys like Nick Jacobs who are difference makers if they're available as a 1-2 year "rental".

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
Aren't transfer players recruited? So in fact couldn't you say that CBG astutely realized the shortcomings of his high school recruits and has gone out to recruit some more developed players looking for a new environment so that his high school recruits could have more developmental time before they get thrown into the rigors of ACC play?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Yes they are "recruited". However, most if us including CBG, would like to have more "from the farm" players that can play and hack it in school.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is what was bothering me when I said that we are sort of the inverse of Kentucky. Kentucky gets the HS one & dones. We get the final year transfers. This is not a sustainable model, won't win the ACC, but it beats losing more.

I'd be interested in what current students think about these transfers coming to represent GT. I guess I don't have a problem with it after thinking about it; they did select GT even if for only a year. But I'd feel a lot more emotionally attached to a player who I watch develop over a couple years.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nick Jacobs, Charles Mitchell, & Josh Heath will all have spent time developing at GT as transfers.

Adam Smith & James White jumped at the opportunity to come home when it presented itself. Some would argue we should've jumped on Smith after he was CAA FR of the Year at UNC-Wilmington.

I'd certainly like to see more homegrown kids. I think we're seeking to get back to that this season with 3 quality HS signees, likely to be supplemented by at least 1 grad transfer. Also, notice we're redshirting 2 post players to develop their skills and have them ready to contribute following this year.

I don't think we'll stop using grad transfers or regular transfers until the rules change significantly, but I so think we'll see more homegrown over the next several years, especially given the local talent.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is an interesting question, but to my mind supposes a fact not proven to be true. I was struggling with the question myself. until I realized that I was assuming a preference towards pulling in the grad transfers. CBG has never said (to my knowledge) that he prefers to do business or build teams this way. In fact most of the things I have heard from him, and hires he has made on the staff point towards a true teacher who enjoys the aspect of developing players and building them up into his image of a positional role based guy. He seems to have a relatively solid Defensive framework that he follows, which requires guys who are bought in and believe in the program.

So to me the answer is that I am ok with CBG doing what he thinks he has to in order to bridge the gap between where we are and where we want to be (as long as it it ethical and above board). I would however agree that it won't likely work as a long term sustainable approach to running a team.

This season, I just want to win baby win.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'll never be fully on board with relying so heavily on transfers. I agree this is part of the game's present/near-future. However, recruiting HS players well will always be the key to a successful program.

I've said time and time again that it's odd that part of the reason folks were so against the last coach was his reliance on 1-and-dones yet now we're ok with 1-and-dones that aren't even NBA-level talent.

At the end of the day, I think this is a problem to discuss in the offseason. As it is, they're here, they're Jackets so we should all be behind rooting them on. I think we're going to have a pretty good season so let's worry about paying the debt later. It's the American way.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Gregory isn't a good recruiter, which is why we have been so bad the last few years. Well that, and the fact that the offensive system isn't any good, although I like the improvements that I have seen this year so far. But, the fact remains that if we want to be successful long term we need to have a certain model at GT. We can recruit pretty well in basketball as Paul Hewitt showed during his time here, but I don't think the 1 and done model is really what Gregory should, or really could do very well. We need to have the Michigan State/ Wisconsin model. Get 3/4 star talent and develop them over 3-4 years. When we can get to where we have a core group of 4-5 players every year that contribute, then we could add a grad transfer or a 1 and done type of player to complete our team. Getting a bunch of 1 and done guy or a bunch of transfers on a yearly basis isn't going to make a long term success at GT IMO.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The notion that transfers are not a part of our program, but a RS freshman is, is just silly. No one is suggesting that Robert Carter, Jr or Rasheed Sulaimon are not part of Maryland's basketball program. Recruiting Mitchell, Jacobs, Heath, White, and Smith to Tech is just as much about recruiting as getting Kenny Anderson to come to Tech. If this is just another bash CBG thread, I wish the mods would close it.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
The notion that transfers are not a part of our program, but a RS freshman is, is just silly. No one is suggesting that Robert Carter, Jr or Rasheed Sulaimon are not part of Maryland's basketball program. Recruiting Mitchell, Jacobs, Heath, White, and Smith to Tech is just as much about recruiting as getting Kenny Anderson to come to Tech. If this is just another bash CBG thread, I wish the mods would close it.

I disagree. Landing a quality player out of high school that you can have on your team for 4 years is way different than adding a Grad Transfer. I don't have a problem with getting Grad Transfers, as I think they can help full holes on the current roster, but it's not the same as getting a Kenny Anderson out of high school who could potentially be on the roster for 4 years.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. Landing a quality player out of high school that you can have on your team for 4 years is way different than adding a Grad Transfer. I don't have a problem with getting Grad Transfers, as I think they can help full holes on the current roster, but it's not the same as getting a Kenny Anderson out of high school who could potentially be on the roster for 4 years.
KA would be a one and done now;)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I don't think it's a bash BG thread. Or at least it shouldn't be. Programs like Oregon, Auburn, Missouri and Miami FL also seem to rely heavily on Xfers. But I disagree for the simple reason I hate hearing "well they are still learning to play together *Goofy cliche laugh* "

It's hard to get any continuity that way and you never really know who is going to be available until after the prior season. I like conventional recruiting.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Say this for Gregory. Redshirting the kids is a move that a lot of coaches in his spot wouldn't do. They'd just burn the redshirt figuring what's the difference. That's pretty admirable.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

It's not a bash thread. It's more like a simple math problem if you ask me. It's hard to build continuity when you're constantly trying to replace guys after being here a year at a time. No one's saying they're not part of our program.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Call me crazy. but I still think we need to keep a little perspective here. We needed a shot in the arm, and we got the shot from grad transfers. I have long believed this team was a solid outside scoring threat away from being significantly better.. Will it make us a Final four team tomorrow? No, but it gets us moving in the right direction. We can spread the D more than every before when attacking now. We have an uptempo get out and run O (we haven't had much cause yet to see how our canned half court O looks, but I am hopeful with the changes to the bench we may just have a chance to take a run in the tourney.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Call me crazy. but I still think we need to keep a little perspective here. We needed a shot in the arm, and we got the shot from grad transfers. I have long believed this team was a solid outside scoring threat away from being significantly better.. Will it make us a Final four team tomorrow? No, but it gets us moving in the right direction. We can spread the D more than every before when attacking now. We have an uptempo get out and run O (we haven't had much cause yet to see how our canned half court O looks, but I am hopeful with the changes to the bench we may just have a chance to take a run in the tourney.
Before we get carried away with talk about a run in the tourney, I think we should try to get an ACC first round bye. Maybe that's the tourney you meant.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Before we get carried away with talk about a run in the tourney, I think we should try to get an ACC first round bye. Maybe that's the tourney you meant.
No doubt - didn't mean to suggest NCAAs.. I was talking about the ACC Tournament.

We have a healthy amount of work to do before someone (even as Positive and comfortable in Gold Colored Glasses as me).