Dodd Coach of the Year

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
According to this, we were undefeated in 1901, 1905, 1915, 1916, and 1951 and were not National Champions. Presumably it was because of number of games played and strength of schedule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_football_seasons
In 1928 and 1952 GT went undefeated and GT is not listed as "National Champions" by all:

1928 USC 9-0-1 (Dickenson)
1928 GT 10-0-0 (won Rose Bowl)

1952 Michigan St. 9-0-0 (AP & UP)
1952 GT 12-0-0 (INS)

The recently posted E$PN article about Atlanta being the capitol of CFB makes a point of talking about both these years and they say nothing about them being MNCs for GT.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
The ridiculous thing about 1952 is that Michigan State played fewer regular season games than Tech did, and they also did not go to a bowl. That was nothing more than Big 10 prejudice.
And Bobby Dodd was robbed in 1951 by not being given Coach of the Year,that was given to Stanford's head coach Chuck Taylor who guided the Indians to a record of 9-2 which included a 40-7 loss to Illinois in the Rose Bowl. GT should recognize the 11-0-1 1951 GT team as National Champions because I believe a Poll voted them as National Champions.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The criteria to win the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year award is based on more than on-field results.

From the website - “Named for legendary Georgia Tech coach Bobby Dodd, The Dodd Trophy was established in 1976 to honor the FBS football coach whose program represents three pillars of success: Scholarship, Leadership and Integrity. The award honors the coach of a team with a successful season on the field and equally as important, stresses the importance of academic excellence and desire to give back to the community.“

A debate around the winner should include the merits of Shaw vs Monken vs Frost vs whomever as it relates to the classroom and community service, in addition to their football record.

http://www.thedoddtrophy.com

Deleted member 2897

The criteria to win the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year award is based on more than on-field results.

From the website - “Named for legendary Georgia Tech coach Bobby Dodd, The Dodd Trophy was established in 1976 to honor the FBS football coach whose program represents three pillars of success: Scholarship, Leadership and Integrity. The award honors the coach of a team with a successful season on the field and equally as important, stresses the importance of academic excellence and desire to give back to the community.“

A debate around the winner should include the merits of Shaw vs Monken vs Frost vs whomever as it relates to the classroom and community service, in addition to their football record.

http://www.thedoddtrophy.com
Oh, it is also based on integrity. Well that explains why Kirby "Smart" didn't get it

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
According to this, we were undefeated in 1901, 1905, 1915, 1916, and 1951 and were not National Champions. Presumably it was because of number of games played and strength of schedule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgia_Tech_Yellow_Jackets_football_seasons

Well, I am not sure about 1951 but the 1952 team had 6 count em 6 All Americans. They were a legit national champion. In 1951, only Kentucky at #17 was ranked when Tech played them. This was when the Bear was coaching. Still, LSU, Auburn and Alabama were good and Georgia still had Wally Butts. It was not until they played Baylor in the Orange Bowl that Tech played a top 10 team. So maybe strength of schedule had something to do with it.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Bobby sort of liked Vince since Vince took it easy on GT in 1966 when UGAG could probably have blown them out.
al

I know this is going to ruffle feathers but Vince's UGA teams were very similar in philosophy to Dodd's teams. Play defense, run the football, always have sound kicking and don't beat yourself with silly penalties and dumb mistakes. In his autobiography, Vince pretty much admitted to being heavily influenced by Bear Bryant and Coach Dodd.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So its Trump's fault that Stanford won Coach of the Year? Sounds about right.

UCF should have gotten it, but I guess they didn't give it to him because he ducked a key P5 opponent. I think its hard to give an award as coach of the year to a guy who wanted to cherry pick their opponents. That's the only possible reason I could think of. UCFs behavior since the bowl game has also been abhorrent - they're posting everywhere all over about how they are National Champions. That's ridiculous when you play such a poor schedule and then duck 1 of your few opportunities to play a P5 opponent.

Georgia Tech has been undefeated many times without being National Champion. We don't walk around saying we were anyway. It doesn't work that way.
Now, that is kind of weird, not to mention defensive. My analogy is a football trophy and income tax ripoff and you immediately think of Trump. Goodness. My first year logic professor had a term for that: "Leapfrog logic."

Deleted member 2897

Now, that is kind of weird, not to mention defensive. My analogy is a football trophy and income tax ripoff and you immediately think of Trump. Goodness. My first year logic professor had a term for that: "Leapfrog logic."

Yea, I can see why you would think that. But I thought it was weird someone would use the word 'ripoff' when describing getting to keep more of their own money.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Yea, I can see why you would think that. But I thought it was weird someone would use the word 'ripoff' when describing getting to keep more of their own money.
Ah, perhaps. Until we see the 2018 results that tell us who is paying for those tax cuts, and those folks are gonna be surprised.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
al

I know this is going to ruffle feathers but Vince's UGA teams were very similar in philosophy to Dodd's teams. Play defense, run the football, always have sound kicking and don't beat yourself with silly penalties and dumb mistakes. In his autobiography, Vince pretty much admitted to being heavily influenced by Bear Bryant and Coach Dodd.

Which coach influenced him to give Herschel a Trans-Am?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
You mean UGA cheated? Shocked, I tell you I am shocked at this revelation. Besides the pertinent question for "inquiring minds" is which of Herschel's multiple personalities received said Trans Am? Which I recall was the prestige car of choice among BMOC back in the day.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
SEC has always been overrated...:)
Tech had undefeated seasons in 1901, 1905, 1915, and 1916 but was not named national champions. Until the 1920s it was presumed that the best football in the nation was played in the East in general and the Ivy League in particular. That bias may well have played a part in denying Tech an early national champion. No matter we made up for it in 1917 and 1927.