Dodd Coach of the Year

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I am a loser. My low-key campaign to get the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year award to someone who actually earned it failed. David Shaw of Stanford, a school with more money than God and better endowed than any Miss America, sneaked in and took it. His team was 9-4. Jeff Monken's Army team was 10-3. Stanford lost its bowl game. Army won. And I flat out guarantee that Army's APR rate was higher than Stanford's. Why am I wrong to think that an award named for a guy who made the triple option great in 1950 should go to a triple option coach in 2017? Should have expected it after the income tax ripoff. Them what don't need it, get.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I am a loser. My low-key campaign to get the Bobby Dodd Coach of the Year award to someone who actually earned it failed. David Shaw of Stanford, a school with more money than God and better endowed than any Miss America, sneaked in and took it. His team was 9-4. Jeff Monken's Army team was 10-3. Stanford lost its bowl game. Army won. And I flat out guarantee that Army's APR rate was higher than Stanford's. Why am I wrong to think that an award named for a guy who made the triple option great in 1950 should go to a triple option coach in 2017? Should have expected it after the income tax ripoff. Them what don't need it, get.
I am more surprised the UCF didn't get it to be honest. Kind of crazy that it would go to a team that won one less game than the year before. I was also unimpressed with Bryce Love during the bowl game. Was excited to see him play for the first time. Maybe he was still hurt or maybe they just didn't face that great of run defenses all year.

Deleted member 2897

So its Trump's fault that Stanford won Coach of the Year? Sounds about right.

UCF should have gotten it, but I guess they didn't give it to him because he ducked a key P5 opponent. I think its hard to give an award as coach of the year to a guy who wanted to cherry pick their opponents. That's the only possible reason I could think of. UCFs behavior since the bowl game has also been abhorrent - they're posting everywhere all over about how they are National Champions. That's ridiculous when you play such a poor schedule and then duck 1 of your few opportunities to play a P5 opponent.

Georgia Tech has been undefeated many times without being National Champion. We don't walk around saying we were anyway. It doesn't work that way.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer

UCF should have gotten it, but I guess they didn't give it to him because ducked a key P5 opponent. I think its hard to give an award as coach of the year to a guy who wanted to cherry pick their opponents. That's the only possible reason I could think of.
Could be, I know that they expressed that they overreacted to the hurricane recently, serves them right I guess. If not them, there are a multitude of other coaches more deserving.

Deleted member 2897

Could be, I know that they expressed that they overreacted to the hurricane recently, serves them right I guess. If not them, there are a multitude of other coaches more deserving.

The AD did a radio interview right around when we were supposed to play. He said they assumed the hurricane was going to be the end of the world and never made any contingencies otherwise. So when the storm turned out to not be that bad for them (campus was open all week and their other teams all practiced and played that week), they were left behind the 8 ball. (They had sent a bunch of players home.) Instead of just dealing with it and playing underprepared, they decided to exit stage left. The silly thing is that they were scared we would blow them out, but they probably had a pretty good chance to win the game anyway. Who knows. It was a very bad look though, because they were even posting pictures to social media of the football team practicing that week despite the fact they had canceled our game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

UCF should have gotten it, but I guess they didn't give it to him because he ducked a key P5 opponent. I think its hard to give an award as coach of the year to a guy who wanted to cherry pick their opponents. That's the only possible reason I could think of. UCFs behavior since the bowl game has also been abhorrent - they're posting everywhere all over about how they are National Champions. That's ridiculous when you play such a poor schedule and then duck 1 of your few opportunities to play a P5 opponent.

Georgia Tech has been undefeated many times without being National Champion. We don't walk around saying we were anyway. It doesn't work that way.
I didn’t know about that last part.

Deleted member 2897

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III

I'd still say UCF has a legit claim to the title using the Wolfe rankings, which the NCAA uses in part to select the national champion. Any idea how we fared in those years using this ranking?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I am more surprised the UCF didn't get it to be honest. Kind of crazy that it would go to a team that won one less game than the year before. I was also unimpressed with Bryce Love during the bowl game. Was excited to see him play for the first time. Maybe he was still hurt or maybe they just didn't face that great of run defenses all year.
What I want to see is what he left for next year.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think UCF head coach Josh Heupel has enough left next season to go 9-3 but I think they'll lose to Memphis in the American Athletic Conference Championship Game.
Ucf
My son was a grad asst under JH and they have stayed in touch since they were at OU.
Son says he is very good coach.

Pensacola high school d l guy is also center on their basketball team. He is a super athlete but is a little undersized. Will do well in the aggressive defense that JH will run.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

I heard the Governor was using their field stage as a staging area for disaster response. If true, you can't blame them.

Deleted member 2897

I heard the Governor was using their field stage as a staging area for disaster response. If true, you can't blame them.

UCF did invite the National Guard in. The NG didn't use the practice field - the UCF football team still used that. And there are numerous stadiums in the area they could have used to play the game anyway. We also offered to swap locations and play in Atlanta this year and UCF next year. They said no to everything. It wasn't a facilities or damage issue at all.