Do we want/need Jimbo Fisher?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That can't be right....my brother went to Princeton on Naval ROTC scholarship during that time period....

College ROTC units commission reserve officers, (Reserve Officers Training Corps) who upon fulfilling their initial training requirements often have to compete for regular commission slots if they want to serve in the regular Army (Navy, Air Force, or Marines) instead of the National Guard or Reserves. During Viet Nam, some schools were granted the ability to commission regular officers through the ROTC program as there was a need for more officers.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
College ROTC units commission reserve officers, (Reserve Officers Training Corps) who upon fulfilling their initial training requirements often have to compete for regular commission slots if they want to serve in the regular Army (Navy, Air Force, or Marines) instead of the National Guard or Reserves. During Viet Nam, some schools were granted the ability to commission regular officers through the ROTC program as there was a need for more officers.
A bit more complex than that but back in that time period there were difference in Reserve Commissions and Regular Army commissions for officers serving on Active Duty. That changed 30 years or so ago. But your point is reasonably accurate.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A bit more complex than that but back in that time period there were difference in Reserve Commissions and Regular Army commissions for officers serving on Active Duty. That changed 30 years or so ago. But your point is reasonably accurate.

In fairness, It's been almost 30 years since I left the Coast Guard. :) When I was in my regular commission was different from a reserve commission. The nuances of that difference would bore most people, so I just mentioned that they were different types of commissions. That's the point I was trying to make. During the Viet Nam era, there were some exceptions made for certain schools in order to get more officers into the military on regular commissions.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In 69 i accepted reserve army commission instead of regular army commission. Reserve required 2 years service followed by 4 years reserve. Regular commission required 4 years service.

ROTC paid some amount for last 2 years. After delay in call up i served 7 months in states then 11 months in Vietnam. When nixon was DOING A REDUCTION IN SERVICE he gave a 3 month credit for Vietnam and if it put u below 3 month remaining in commitment- u were OUT. Got the Call, Helicopter on way, fly to Da Nang, foot locker was already shipped, told get on your magic carpet home.
Served 1 year 6 month and 8 days w no reserve. Had dirt all over me when i caught fl flight to texas. Everyone was very nice

Except for the hell, i liked freedom and responsibility of a field officer in vietnam.

Without ROTC $$ couldn't have paid my way thru gt.

After Gt and Nam, everything has been piece of cake.

Sorry for the veteran side track on this vital thread

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
In 69 i accepted reserve army commission instead of regular army commission. Reserve required 2 years service followed by 4 years reserve. Regular commission required 4 years service.

ROTC paid some amount for last 2 years. After delay in call up i served 7 months in states then 11 months in Vietnam. When nixon was DOING A REDUCTION IN SERVICE he gave a 3 month credit for Vietnam and if it put u below 3 month remaining in commitment- u were OUT. Got the Call, Helicopter on way, fly to Da Nang, foot locker was already shipped, told get on your magic carpet home.
Served 1 year 6 month and 8 days w no reserve. Had dirt all over me when i caught fl flight to texas. Everyone was very nice

Except for the hell, i liked freedom and responsibility of a field officer in vietnam.

Without ROTC $$ couldn't have paid my way thru gt.

After Gt and Nam, everything has been piece of cake.

Sorry for the veteran side track on this vital thread
Thanks for your service.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
What type - Reserve or Regular - Commission was predicated on whether you were "on scholarship," IOW the US Government was paying your tuition & fees, or not. Regular ROTC students got a monthly stipend - IIRC $50 the first two years & raised to $100 after that. "Contract Students," IOW the oxymoron "Reserve" commission midshipmen, didn't get the stipend until they signed to go "Advanced ROTC" as juniors. "Regulars" had applied for their scholarships, competed & been selected while in HS. "Contracts" were essentially "walk-ons."

If Uncle Sam was paying your way through GT, Auburn, Ole Miss, Vandy, Cornell, UNC, USCe, Villanova, USC(real), ND, or wherever, you were going to get a Regular Commission & owe 4 years Active + 2 years Reserve as payback. For us Navy types, AV & NUC/SUB & possibly SUPP schools would have tacked on additional payback years.

If Uncle Sam was not paying you to attend classes, you got a Reserve Commission and owed 3 years Active and 3 years Reserve.

Before the end of your initial obligated active service, Navy Reservists on Active Duty (not to be confused with the Inactive Drilling Reservists on two weeks annual training "Active Duty") were eligible to apply to "Augment" into the Regular Force. That was my initial roadmap from USNR==>USN before I punched out after six years & went USNR as a Drilling Reservist for the next 24 years, including two "Presidential Selected Reserve Callups," or PSRCs, for ODS/ODS One & again for Bosnia.

FYI, Regulars start receiving their Retirement Pay immediately upon retirement. Reservists don't start receiving Retirement Pay until they turn 60 years old. Interestingly, once a Reservist turns 60 & starts receiving that retirement pay, they get redesignated from USNR (Retired) to USN (Retired), or USAR (Retired) to USA (Retired), et al. "Grey Area Retirees" is a subject for another day.

CAPT DeepSnap, USN (Retired)

yoshiki2

Georgia Tech Fan
And no, we can't afford him.

And besides, he's an offensive-oriented guy, right?

But he has Georgia roots...does Key make a call?
We could always bring him as an analyst, as long as he takes a small payment. I doubt he needs a lot of money to take the job. Anotber person helping/assisting the offense would be welcome. However, I'd have brought Many Diaz as our DC if it was possible. He got a great defensive mind.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I think we should take him as an analyst but only if he makes a $5 million donation to the GTAA first.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Please, for all that is holy, let this thread please die. It's interesting to discuss the ROTC aspect, but anything to do with Fisher is garbage. Let's move this to the Lounge and discuss ROTC and the Vietnam War Police Action. My father flew troops in an out of Chu Lai as a Marine Pilot from '65-'66, so I'm grateful for everyone who served. Thank you

This is my 83-year-old father, who went into the Marines to train for the '64 Olympiad in Mexico City as a Steeple Chase runner (4:05 minute miler as a collegiate athlete at Sacramento St. in 1961) only to be offered flight school. The rest is history. Thankful for my 83-year-old father, who'a suffering from congestive heart failure due to exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. I'm headed to Alabama on Friday next to spend the weekend with him. Hope to see GT stun the World and open a can of whoop-*** on the #1 Team in the nation with the #60 schedule. Like with CPJ in 2008, they won't know what hit them.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Some of you were happy to see this thread fall off the front page. Here’s an Athletic (paywall) story about how it all fell apart for Jimbo Fisher at A&M:
https://theathletic.com/5085961/202...-am-firing-record/?source=user_shared_articleJimbo Fisher’s failures left Texas A&M well short of national championship dreams

Some of it is going to be people taking potshots at a coach on his way out the door.

However:
  1. Post-Jamious Winston, he hasn’t developed a QB, and mostly he’s run them off or burned them out. Many have done better after leaving, after the new coaches unteach what he’s taught
  2. He has a focus on recruiting rankings compared to roster building, and shortchanged discipline and recruiting for need.
  3. As part of (2), the offensive line suffered and got worse year-over-year. It took forever to undo what Jimbo did to the FSU offensive line, and A&M is in the same position
  4. His offense is considered “antiquated”. He brought in Bobby Petrino to fix it, then didn’t let him bring in his offense or really let him call plays. (Not championing Petrino here). Maybe some of the same going on with Dabo at Clemson.
  5. Multiple coaches and staff reported that he not only wouldn’t listen to a different opinion, but if you disagreed with him then he constantly belittled you.
  6. At two consecutive stops with well funded athletic programs, he’s burned bridges with athletic donors.
It also lists prospective coaches.
  • Elko from Duke
  • Traylor from USTA
  • Leipold from Kansas
  • Jedd Fisch from Arizona.
I’m thinking Fisch might be a good fit. Arizona is a much-improved team, and the athletic department is having funding issues.