Do we want/need Jimbo Fisher?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
How fast does life change in the coaching world? At one point, Jimbo had 4 straight QBs drafted in the first round at FSU. Now? The inability to develop QBs will be his downfall.

Haynes King was at A&M, and now at GT he looks like one of the best up and coming QBs in the country.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I mentioned the A&M marching band earlier and how they might help the Aggies live through what will happen to them now. Here they are:

There is simply no marching unit on Earth that can match that level of close order drill. The only other band I'd stay for half time for is the Marching Rattlesnakes. And it's photo finish.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I mean, it’s sort of funny to joke about paying a coach $70M+ to go away. On the other hand, it’s just another example of how insidious, irresponsible and, I’d argue, dangerous collegiate sports has become with its priorities, both for itself and for all buying into this as a rightful norm. Gents, this is a seriously bad thing that’s evolved and I’m sure more than a few on this educated and reasonable board will agree.
UGAG and their like have as much to do with College Academics as I do with the NASA Space program. Stetson Bennett was their for 6 years and didn't come away with a Degree, you think he saw the inside of a classroom very often ??

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Hey, at some programs a get back coach is a big deal. My church had a pastor once who coached at tiny Florala Alabama high school as a community coach while pastoring the local Presbyterian church. He was paid $100 a week during the football season to do three things: Serve as team chaplain, coached the offensive tackles (he had been an offensive tackle back in the day in high school) and to be the sideline get back coach. He told me once that the get back coach was the hardest job because Florala had a little head coach with a feisty temper whose lifelong passion was haranguing referees, umpires, side judges, head linesmen etc.

Which was all well and good except that the region officials rigorously enforced a "coaching box" with obligatory unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for 15 yards. Our pastor repeatedly told me that he had to hold the head coach's belt buckle and pull him back which was not that hard for the 6'3'' 235 pounds pastor on a 5'9'' 175 pound coaching dynamo. Every game, the coach would say Preacher let me go and try to pull away and every game the pastor would tug him back. He said that by the fourth quarter it was worse than hitting the blocking shed.
That’s an easy fix. Fine him $5000 every time he gets a penalty.

Pappa P

Georgia Tech Fan
They might make that, but they aren’t giving to the AA. School endowment is flush with cash, while the AA is in desperate need. It’s kinda the opposite at UGA.
Begs the question - what matters? An institution of higher learning which develops future leaders with technologies and research to make our community and world better? Or an athletic program which wins at all cost? There’s been much made on this message board about this. But doing things the right way should matter. I’m proud of Georgia Tech and the student-athletes who represent the white and gold. My wife and I support the A-T Fund, Roll Call, and season tickets to FB, MBB, and VB. I believe Tech has its priorities correct and have no misgivings. Yeah, winning is fun. But doing it by compromising your values is not worth it in my opinion. Unfortunately we live in a society and culture that doesn’t value what truly matters.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just ran across this:

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2023/11/a-miscellany-of-tuesday-morning-infamy

You can ignore the first part, but the contract details about Jimbo in the second part will raise your eyebrows. You think Tech writes bad contracts? Ladies and gentlemen, I present the Texas A&M football program!
And they like Auburn actually have alumni that fund the coaching changes.

TAM is after Michigan or Duke coach.

Aub fired Malzon and Nix - and went and got the previous Ole miss coach who beat Ala twice

Auburn

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
How is this even a question?
Bc we didn't want to spend all week caterwauling about losing to the Upstate Kitten Troupe and we weren't ready yet to be optimistic about CuseJackets' better half winning, so MTW have been dedicated to hating on the schmuck sitting in the rain. At least that's my take....

All That Lol GIF by Nickelodeon

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I mentioned the A&M marching band earlier and how they might help the Aggies live through what will happen to them now. Here they are:

There is simply no marching unit on Earth that can match that level of close order drill. The only other band I'd stay for half time for is the Marching Rattlesnakes. And it's photo finish.

That is amazing!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
That’s an easy fix. Fine him $5000 every time he gets a penalty.
$5,000 in Florala, Alabama is a fortune. The head coach probably did not get much more than that above his teaching salary. They did make the playoffs one year and got to the quarterfinals which was a highwater mark for that program. I think the coach got a $100 bonus and a new weight room for the players.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
UGAG and their like have as much to do with College Academics as I do with the NASA Space program. Stetson Bennett was their for 6 years and didn't come away with a Degree, you think he saw the inside of a classroom very often ??

Compared to GT, where having one basketball coach $1.3 million per year set all of the sports back.
Let me get my feeble brain wrapped around this. Texas A&M is paying Jimbo $70 million dollars to not coach? $70,000,000 is that right? Is this a great country or what?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Begs the question - what matters? An institution of higher learning which develops future leaders with technologies and research to make our community and world better? Or an athletic program which wins at all cost? There’s been much made on this message board about this. But doing things the right way should matter. I’m proud of Georgia Tech and the student-athletes who represent the white and gold. My wife and I support the A-T Fund, Roll Call, and season tickets to FB, MBB, and VB. I believe Tech has its priorities correct and have no misgivings. Yeah, winning is fun. But doing it by compromising your values is not worth it in my opinion. Unfortunately we live in a society and culture that doesn’t value what truly matters.
Athletics is our front porch. It's important. You don't have to compromise your values to win, but you do have to open up the checkbook (the school, not the fans).

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Texas A&M is an ROTC school. Used to be required of every male student but I’m sure now, think they have bent the rules some.
Before 1965 male students were required to be in the Corp of cadets. Best friend from HS moved to my hometown in the 6th grade from College Station. He talked about watching the cadets march off demerits. That would have been the late 50's. All male and military back then. Corp is voluntary now. When I started GT ROTC was mandatory for first 2 vears but that requirement was dropped in 1965. Naval ROTC was where the Edge center is now.