Do we want/need Jimbo Fisher?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Is this a great country or what?

Yes

Black And White America GIF by National WWI Museum and Memorial

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Hard to tell but it looks like they are in military uniforms, sort of like ROTC?
It is ROTC. The Corps of Cadets used to be mandatory for all TAMU students, but that ended in 1965 when women (horrors!) entered the place. Now students volunteer for entry and take ROTC courses. About 45% end up as officers. There are only about 2500 members.

The Band is part fo the Corps; no jive undergrad can join.

Ain't Wikipedia (I got most of this from it) wonderful?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Before 1965 male students were required to be in the Corp of cadets. Best friend from HS moved to my hometown in the 6th grade from College Station. He talked about watching the cadets march off demerits. That would have been the late 50's. All male and military back then. Corp is voluntary now. When I started GT ROTC was mandatory for first 2 vears but that requirement was dropped in 1965. Naval ROTC was where the Edge center is now.
I think I read that ROTC is still required for freshmen and sophomores at A&M. It is part of their leadership core curriculum.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
This has to be one of the dumbest topics ever started on here. Are you freaking kidding with this?
"I gotta do an hour a night! I'm lookin' for warm bodies. That's all. If I can get seven minutes out of you, I take a bundle, I go home to Malibu!"

Johnny Carson (no relation that our lawyers have been able to uncover)

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess the lesson here is if you are going to get paid exorbitant amounts of money, you better produce commensurate with the amount paid. Who is at fault here? Their alums and athletic department agreed to pay Fisher that amount of money. His overall winning record prior to A&M was a little over 80%. That's about what they got for $70M+. They offered and he accepted. He's laughing all the way to the bank.
Actually, it turns out you don't have to produce to get paid that amount. You get paid that amount whether you win or lose. Performance-based contracts could be beneficial to both parties in college football, but there usually needs to be some sort of forcing function or regulator to make that happen.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I mentioned the A&M marching band earlier and how they might help the Aggies live through what will happen to them now. Here they are:

There is simply no marching unit on Earth that can match that level of close order drill. The only other band I'd stay for half time for is the Marching Rattlesnakes. And it's photo finish.

I grew up a Texas A&M fan - my dad played baseball for them in the '60s. It's one of the few places where you want to be back in your seat for halftime, because the band is so good. I have great memories of that.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think I read that ROTC is still required for freshmen and sophomores at A&M. It is part of their leadership core curriculum.
That is false. They have a Corps of Cadets between 2000-3000 Cadets. A&M in college station has about 50K on campus. Huge school. Small Corps of Cadets. Very similar to VT’ situation.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, try explaining that to a parent busting his *** on the midnight shift just to put food on his table for his family.
Very true. Most of those 400,000 jobs created last month were part time and snapped up by people who already had a full time job. For Jimbo and others like him it is indeed a great country for the unwashed masses not so much. IIWII

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It's not, I have family there.
You are 100% wrong. Anyone can join the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M. Freshmen Cadets are required to take ROTC.

However, ALL Freshmen are NOT required to either take OTC or be part of the Corps of Cadets. Check your facts!

slugboy

Staff member
You are 100% wrong. Anyone can join the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M. Freshmen Cadets are required to take ROTC.

However, ALL Freshmen are NOT required to either take OTC or be part of the Corps of Cadets. Check your facts!
He’s saying ROTC isn’t mandatory for all Freshmen and Sophomores. Is that what you mean to argue?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I grew up a Texas A&M fan - my dad played baseball for them in the '60s. It's one of the few places where you want to be back in your seat for halftime, because the band is so good. I have great memories of that.
After exit service the guy that hired me took me to Aggie U T football game .
I found out he was the corp commander when he was there so i got a great tour. The night before bonfire was amazing - visible for miles. Halftime was great.
However, the aggies were big talking before the kick off. Then they lost fumble in end zone. Second kick off they got to 5 and then lost fumble into end zone. Told my buddy i will cheer for Aggies , but i will only live and die w Gt.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
According to Wiki...an AFROTC was established in the early 1920's at GT. In 1926 GT got the NROTC program along with Berkeley, Washington, Northwestern, Harvard, and Yale.