Do we want/need Jimbo Fisher?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
No Way GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Let's talk about beating Syracuse instead.........

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Texas A&M has a long history off firing winning coaches. First, Slocom, now Fisher. I mean, I get that they want to win the SEC and get to the CFP and all that, but firing winning coaches is not the way to do it. Well, now some other school - not Tech, mind you - will get his services and they'll start winning pretty soon. Say what you will: Jimbo knows how to coach a football team.

As for A&M … they'll still have the best marching band in the world! No doubt that'll consolidate them through what's coming.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The gap between the big money programs isn't going away until some entity puts a cap on annual NIL $$ allowed to distribute to players, i.e. a salary cap similar to pro sports. If not, those 20-30 teams should create a semi-pro league and let the rest of us get back to college football. I would like to see the comparison of what Arthur Blank spends annually, not including stadium costs and what UGAG pays for their football program, players, coaches and staff. Someone told me, not sure if its true or not, but Kirbys get-back guy is paid $240,000.
Hey, at some programs a get back coach is a big deal. My church had a pastor once who coached at tiny Florala Alabama high school as a community coach while pastoring the local Presbyterian church. He was paid $100 a week during the football season to do three things: Serve as team chaplain, coached the offensive tackles (he had been an offensive tackle back in the day in high school) and to be the sideline get back coach. He told me once that the get back coach was the hardest job because Florala had a little head coach with a feisty temper whose lifelong passion was haranguing referees, umpires, side judges, head linesmen etc.

Which was all well and good except that the region officials rigorously enforced a "coaching box" with obligatory unsportsmanlike conduct penalties for 15 yards. Our pastor repeatedly told me that he had to hold the head coach's belt buckle and pull him back which was not that hard for the 6'3'' 235 pounds pastor on a 5'9'' 175 pound coaching dynamo. Every game, the coach would say Preacher let me go and try to pull away and every game the pastor would tug him back. He said that by the fourth quarter it was worse than hitting the blocking shed.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Congratulations are in order as you have articulated succinctly the difference between the HAVES of college football and the HAVE NOTS. The gulf is getting wider by the minute.
That’s why I asked would he help for free lol
Folks, we need to take care of business this weekend and get bowl eligible. Huge game for the Jackets this Saturday baby. Let’s go Ga Tech

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One rumor is that TAMU is considering Chadwell at Liberty.

The three programs currently rated the best non P5 football programs:

Before deciding on Key, GT had serious conversations with Chadwell (Liberty) and Fritz (Tulane), and some of us offered up Cignetti (JMU) as a candidate. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out for those coaches over the next few years.

Chadwell at TAMU would be phenomenal a hire. You give Chadwell the ability to recruit SEC level athletes with TAMU's money and he's going to make it miserable for the SEC.

slugboy

Staff member
The three programs currently rated the best non P5 football programs:

Before deciding on Key, GT had serious conversations with Chadwell (Liberty) and Fritz (Tulane), and some of us offered up Cignetti (JMU) as a candidate. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out for those coaches over the next few years.

Chadwell at TAMU would be phenomenal a hire. You give Chadwell the ability to recruit SEC level athletes with TAMU's money and he's going to make it miserable for the SEC.

I think it would be Riley at Southern Cal, cloned. Fun to watch :p

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean, it’s sort of funny to joke about paying a coach $70M+ to go away. On the other hand, it’s just another example of how insidious, irresponsible and, I’d argue, dangerous collegiate sports has become with its priorities, both for itself and for all buying into this as a rightful norm. Gents, this is a seriously bad thing that’s evolved and I’m sure more than a few on this educated and reasonable board will agree.

slugboy

Staff member
Is this thread real?
Its real.

I haven’t seen anyone say how Fisher would help us, other than he was a head coach who got paid a lot.

No one mentioned his national title with Winston. Still, I don’t know how that helps us.

What would he do for us?