Do we want/need Jimbo Fisher?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
It's the output of an institutional process that for decades droned on and on that academics are meaningful, and athletics are not. Our students and faculty for decades were fully imbibed in that value statement. It was institutional tunnel vision and now that piper is playing a pretty somber tune. However, GA Tech can still be quite relevant in college football, just likely not for the MNC hunt annually. Ask yourself, though, how many programs that HAVE banged that drum loud and long are rarely, if ever, relevant in the MNC hunt.

Seems to me that the more salient issue today is: Granted that we pay our coaches handsome salaries to coach our SA's, how much more ought we to pay them to produce teams that perform at exceptional levels? TAMU is the poster boy for money not buying love.
We need to buy more tough minded on the field talent first.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Adam Devine Reaction GIF

RabidJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
With 75 mil he'd be a fool to do anything but fish, play golf , travel, or WHATEVER he desires for the rest of his life--but that is just what I would do. Maybe his ego demands being THE MAN of a football team. (which is beyond my comprehension given the circumstances)--and NO we do not "need" him.

FEWrecker

Georgia Tech Fan
Why hire someone when his boss wanted to pay him a staggering 72 million just to leave. His damage must far exceed 72 million that your organisation cannot afford 😃
He can be a rotten apple that infects the healthy ones for the mediocre result with top pay.
Ask Haynes for background check.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
The gap between the big money programs isn't going away until some entity puts a cap on annual NIL $$ allowed to distribute to players, i.e. a salary cap similar to pro sports. If not, those 20-30 teams should create a semi-pro league and let the rest of us get back to college football. I would like to see the comparison of what Arthur Blank spends annually, not including stadium costs and what UGAG pays for their football program, players, coaches and staff. Someone told me, not sure if its true or not, but Kirbys get-back guy is paid $240,000.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
He couldn't win at Texas A&M with the best team money could buy.
His record at TAMU was 45-25 and at FSU was 83-23, for a total of 128-48.

He could not prevail in the SEC West and his last two seasons were quite mediocre (5-7 and 6-4... 11-11 overall). Maybe he entered a restructuring of his program, or maybe he's lost his edge, or maybe with all that money he just got complacent.

Whatever one concludes, he's not a bad coach who cannot win.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I guess the lesson here is if you are going to get paid exorbitant amounts of money, you better produce commensurate with the amount paid. Who is at fault here? Their alums and athletic department agreed to pay Fisher that amount of money. His overall winning record prior to A&M was a little over 80%. That's about what they got for $70M+. They offered and he accepted. He's laughing all the way to the bank.