Do academics mean anything anymore at college

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I so disagree with this. If this is where we're headed, let's form the Georgia Tech Academy for Revenue-Generating Sports and just bring the kids in there without the lie.
I’m somewhat torn on this issue. I’m proud of my degree, the Institute, and its academic rep. I’m also proud that we have, on occasion, fielded extremely competitive teams in both primary revenue sports despite our academic requirements. I think it's pretty cool that one of our starters is a PhD candidate, and that in the recent past, our starting center was literally studying rocket science.

But we are entering an era with pay-for-play, and virtually no enforceable rules. This is the new field we’re playing on. We all want our recruiting to improve, but if we’re successful there, we’re going to lose a greater percentage of players to the draft before graduating. Yet some of us feel better having a self-imposed academic handicap that looks to be increasingly burdensome.

It’s a personal choice for everyone, but I’m going to root for GT regardless of which path our players take academically. Calvin leaving early didn’t diminish my fandom, and neither will an influx of one-and-dones on the BB team.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We all want our recruiting to improve, but if we’re successful there, we’re going to lose a greater percentage of players to the draft before graduating.
Rumors of GT’s death are greatly exaggerated.

Did Tech win the recruiting battle for Haynes King? No. We won the portal competition for him. There are plenty of overlooked players who need playing time, won’t get it, and will transfer rather than wait.

GT is entering the Moneyball Era. Being good at applying AI to recruiting should be right up our wheelhouse. Competitive for a Natty? Probably not. But competitive? Yes.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Another bit of positivity: our basketball players have been in a couple HTS classes my kid has taken, they don’t miss class, are respectful and participate. Apparently you do those things if you want playing time per our coaches. Lance Terry gave a presentation to students and faculty last week, wrote a research paper looking at the sociology of sports gambling. I imagine Key runs a similarly tight ship. Our kids can finish a valuable degree from a school that (let’s be honest) most wouldn’t get in without sports.

Here’s a challenge though imo: the 4-5 star players who come from tough family situations probably can’t ignore the siren call of life changing NIL.

Also, it’s possible for players to succeed in life with a degree from various schools we might look down upon (Bama) - but will they have the discipline in that environment to handle academics on top of sports?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a challenge though imo: the 4-5 star players who come from tough family situations probably can’t ignore the siren call of life changing NIL.
I knew a student … 4-star player and a starter. Spent all his time on NIL trying to cash out while he could. Flunked out. Didn’t get drafted. No job, no degree, no prospects.
Also, it’s possible for players to succeed in life with a degree from various schools we might look down upon (Bama) - but will they have the discipline in that environment to handle academics on top of sports?
Bama, it is said, has more tutors for the football team than the team has players. Athletes are tracked by geolocation on their phones. Coaches and advisors know exactly where they are at, if they ditched class, etc. NCAA regs also require periodic reporting. It’s my experience that they can handle it IF they want to handle it. Some don’t care. They will attend class (because they have to) but might just look at their phone the entire period. These are the ones who should never have been recruited imo.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I’m somewhat torn on this issue. I’m proud of my degree, the Institute, and its academic rep. I’m also proud that we have, on occasion, fielded extremely competitive teams in both primary revenue sports despite our academic requirements. I think it's pretty cool that one of our starters is a PhD candidate, and that in the recent past, our starting center was literally studying rocket science.

But we are entering an era with pay-for-play, and virtually no enforceable rules. This is the new field we’re playing on. We all want our recruiting to improve, but if we’re successful there, we’re going to lose a greater percentage of players to the draft before graduating. Yet some of us feel better having a self-imposed academic handicap that looks to be increasingly burdensome.

It’s a personal choice for everyone, but I’m going to root for GT regardless of which path our players take academically. Calvin leaving early didn’t diminish my fandom, and neither will an influx of one-and-dones on the BB team.
I'm fine with the student-athlete. I'm fine with the S-A that wouldn't get into Tech without out the athletic scholarship. History has shown that if you have the want to, you can make through Tech. I absolutely disagree with creating a path for kids to play at school because we want their athletic skills. I'm okay with either extreme; I'm not okay with the middle.

ranjar

Georgia Tech Fan
It already has.

LMC only requires Finite Math (precursor to Survey of Calculus)

MATH 1711. Finite Mathematics. 4 Credit Hours.

Linear equations, matrices, linear programming, sets and counting, probability and statistics.
Catalog still shows both required.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Another bit of positivity: our basketball players have been in a couple HTS classes my kid has taken, they don’t miss class, are respectful and participate. Apparently you do those things if you want playing time per our coaches. Lance Terry gave a presentation to students and faculty last week, wrote a research paper looking at the sociology of sports gambling. I imagine Key runs a similarly tight ship. Our kids can finish a valuable degree from a school that (let’s be honest) most wouldn’t get in without sports.

There is a lot of truth to players coming from bad circumstances who desperately want a chance to break out. Bobby Bowden got a lot of grief on our boards, but he was big on helping such players. Warrick Dunn is a huge example.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Catalog still shows both required.
1714009578793.png

I guess the way it's worded is weird. I could interpret it either way. I read this to say 1711 or 1551&1553.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I have attached the full curriculum for LMC and Business. Looks like Survey of Calculus or Differential Calculus is required for LMC. Intergal Calculus or Survey of Calculus is required in Business. Finite Math is shown in Core D. Just for your consideration. This is from the 2023-2024 Catalog.

Attachments

• Bachelor of Science in Literature, Media, and Communication - Thread_ Literature & Communicati...pdf
    307.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - General Management _ Georgia Tech Catalog.pdf
    244.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I so disagree with this. If this is where we're headed, let's form the Georgia Tech Academy for Revenue-Generating Sports and just bring the kids in there without the lie.
It's all a lie anyways. All but maybe 10 teams in the power 4 have SA's that are only there for football.

GT needs a degree that will develop young men, but also not put too much pressure on them academically to where their main focus isn't football.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 16039
Why create entire bogus degree programs, based on 85 kids?
So you can win football games and expand the Institutes brand....
uga and several others have immensely benefited from their football programs achieving success. Football is the brand of the school and sets it up for visibility throughout the US and World. Only the "nerds" care about the GT academic side.

Remember people wear Florida, Ohio State, uga clothes because it's cool to wear. It drives TONS of money to have a large fanbase. That starts with having a national brand other than academics...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
So you can win football games and expand the Institutes brand....
uga and several others have immensely benefited from their football programs achieving success. Football is the brand of the school and sets it up for visibility throughout the US and World. Only the "nerds" care about the GT academic side.

Remember people wear Florida, Ohio State, uga clothes because it's cool to wear. It drives TONS of money to have a large fanbase. That starts with having a national brand other than academics...
That bears the ultimate question…does Tech need this? I agree that strong athletics is a huge boon to schools, but Tech already has a low acceptance rate and doesn’t hurt for the best and brightest from around the world, and this isn’t in the “nerds” of the world.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
That bears the ultimate question…does Tech need this? I agree that strong athletics is a huge boon to schools, but Tech already has a low acceptance rate and doesn’t hurt for the best and brightest from around the world, and this isn’t in the “nerds” of the world.
If they want to grow then yes. The idea is to build up. Get undergrad enrollment up to 25k or even be able to raise prices because of desirability to get in. Will also lead to more donations from sidewalk fans.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If they want to grow then yes. The idea is to build up. Get undergrad enrollment up to 25k or even be able to raise prices because of desirability to get in. Will also lead to more donations from sidewalk fans.
I would love ot see GT grow undergraduate enrollment. That's where you grow fans and fill stadium seats. not grad schools.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Has there been a poll on this site about whether to weaken academic standards for football versus keeping strict standards and possibly being left out of "big boy" college football? I can tell there are supporters on both sides, but am curious as to whether it is close to 50-50 or not...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
We can profit from finding kids who got thrown to the wolves (like Haynes King) at a fb factory as underclassmen when they were not quite ready physically or mentally and then being processed for the next shiny toy Instead of developed.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Donations from sidewalk fans is for the athletics side, not the academic side. Not sure they want 25k undergrads. The current campus, while still expanding, won’t hold a 25k undergrad population. Tech is already pretty pricy for an OOS student at close to $40k/year.

I understand your position and I want GT to be world class in both, like Cabrera (and most on here), but not at the sacrifice of academics. I’m not saying there shouldn’t be programs line Sports Management, Broadcast Communications, some kind of coaching prep degree, etc. But not a joke major, sorry, just no.