Do academics mean anything anymore at college

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Donations from sidewalk fans is for the athletics side, not the academic side. Not sure they want 25k undergrads. The current campus, while still expanding, won’t hold a 25k undergrad population. Tech is already pretty pricy for an OOS student at close to $40k/year.

I understand your position and I want GT to be world class in both, like Cabrera (and most on here), but not at the sacrifice of academics. I’m not saying there shouldn’t be programs line Sports Management, Broadcast Communications, some kind of coaching prep degree, etc. But not a joke major, sorry, just no.
That's a decent middle ground to take on this issue. Maybe even a Sports Science degree if there is such a thing. Could be a precursor for someone interested in Sports Medicine.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
That's a decent middle ground to take on this issue. Maybe even a Sports Science degree if there is such a thing. Could be a precursor for someone interested in Sports Medicine.
Sports science, kinesiology, sports medicine are all majors that could easily fit GT’s charter. Not sure how many football/basketball players would bite into those. Now sports management might be a winner, but that would be part of the Business Admin program and no pushover.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I am assuming most of our members know that GT has a Minor in the Business School called "Sports, Society, and Technology". I am hopeful that we will see this expanded to a full Major.

I have attached the requirements for the Minor. I am not sure these hours are in addition to the regular hours required for the Business degree or just part of the total hours required.
From what I have read, I think these hours can apply to the total requirement.

I am one of those who believe GT can broaden the curriculum without losing our academic standing or reputation. I believe Michigan demonstrates this point as they are currently ranked #3 in PUBLIC universities behind only CAL and UCLA. This is according to U.S. News annual ranking.

Attachments

• Minor in Sports, Society, and Technology _ Georgia Tech Catalog.pdf
    187.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
CORRECTION. The Sports, Society, and Technology Minor is in the School of History and Sociology. Not in the Business School. Sorry!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Sports science, kinesiology, sports medicine are all majors that could easily fit GT’s charter. Not sure how many football/basketball players would bite into those. Now sports management might be a winner, but that would be part of the Business Admin program and no pushover.
The engine that drives GT is GTRI. If you want to add majors, you first need to demonstrate demand via research contracts. As I recall, the growth in research contracts is in medical research. I doubt the effect on athletics admissions is even a criteria.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
The grad school grows largely because grad students (particularly PhD students) are the workers powering our research programs. Conversely more undergrads puts pressure on facilities and resources, tuition iirc covers maybe one third of instructional expense plus we get a chunk from the state but less than you might think.

Anyway, it's a balancing act to keep things running smoothly.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
The grad school grows largely because grad students (particularly PhD students) are the workers powering our research programs. Conversely more undergrads puts pressure on facilities and resources, tuition iirc covers maybe one third of instructional expense plus we get a chunk from the state but less than you might think.

Anyway, it's a balancing act to keep things running smoothly.

Thanks for this post, interesting information. Concerning the undergraduate population, see the attached concerning a new Dorm on the west side for FIRST YEAR students. I remember a newsletter from President Cabrera concerning an effort to make Tech more attractive to Rural Georgia students. Plus, I saw a recent report showing the student population at 62% Georgia students which is up from some previous reports which were below 60%.

A larger undergraduate population and more Georgia students should help our athletic support.

Attachments

• Georgia Tech to Add new Dorm.pdf
    69.8 KB · Views: 14

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for this post, interesting information. Concerning the undergraduate population, see the attached concerning a new Dorm on the west side for FIRST YEAR students. I remember a newsletter from President Cabrera concerning an effort to make Tech more attractive to Rural Georgia students. Plus, I saw a recent report showing the student population at 62% Georgia students which is up from some previous reports which were below 60%.

A larger undergraduate population and more Georgia students should help our athletic support.
That new dorm also helps while others are refurb’d. Most students have to go off campus year two and we’re close to not having dorm rooms for all freshman. That new dorm is $612/sf construction.

A common path year two is into privately owned apartments designed specifically for students, mostly on east side (I assume easier to get developers interested over there).

Typical: The Whistler, 3 students/apartment, each with their own room/bath plus small shared LR and kitchen, $1500/student/month. Nice study rooms, coffee shop, pool on roof:) Easy walking distance, GT didn’t have to raise the capital.

Here’s a new one: https://lvcollective.com/work/rambler-atlanta/

Dorm capacity, cultural shifts - students expect nicer space plus more women now who aren’t reasonably ok in some of the off campus dumps where we lived (The Grotto) due to safety concerns.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we can all be proud of what GT has accomplished over the years. I encourage you to read the attached article from Forbes. To be ranked with the 20 National Universities shown (10 Public and 10 Private) is quite an accomplishment. Article is about the "New IVYs".

I think we can be sure that GT will not succumb to winning at all costs.

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we can all be proud of what GT has accomplished over the years. I encourage you to read the attached article from Forbes. To be ranked with the 20 National Universities shown (10 Public and 10 Private) is quite an accomplishment. Article is about the "New IVYs".

I think we can be sure that GT will not succumb to winning at all costs.

File was too big to attach. I will print and show you the list of universities.

Attachments

• Public Universities.pdf
    160.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Private Universities.pdf
    173.8 KB · Views: 6